SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-12, 05:30 PM   #1066
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
I'm not saying Skyrim isn't a great game, or that what the developers gave us was insubstantial. But what I am frustrated at, is seeing what one programmer can do with a weeks time, and then seeing stuff like horse armor being charged money.

I will gladly pay for any DLC, it will just frustrate me if it is something simple like horse armor that I know they could've coded in a matter of days if not hours.
I understand what you are saying. However, given that in the wake of the Horse Armor debacle were were given the Orrery, Merhunes Razor, Courier's Stash, Gun Runners Armory and the Oblivion house DLCs (not to mention the incredibly substanial expansion DLCs such as Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles, Operation Anchorage, The Pitt, Point Lookout, Broken Steel, Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road), I am inclined to believe that Bethesda has more than learned their lesson. I am salivating over the prospect of Skyrim DLCs.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 06:18 PM   #1067
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
I understand what you are saying. However, given that in the wake of the Horse Armor debacle were were given the Orrery, Merhunes Razor, Courier's Stash, Gun Runners Armory and the Oblivion house DLCs (not to mention the incredibly substanial expansion DLCs such as Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles, Operation Anchorage, The Pitt, Point Lookout, Broken Steel, Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road), I am inclined to believe that Bethesda has more than learned their lesson. I am salivating over the prospect of Skyrim DLCs.

Being a loyal Fallout and TES player that I am, I will second this statement.

First of all, any other game company, your sorry backsides would have paid for the graphics uphaul. and Construction Kit.

Or like Total war games, modders could have been told to copulate with their mothers, but no...They encourage modding it, unlike Total war, who died when they switched to pack files, killing the main appeal of the game.

The DLC for Skyrim will be amazing. Simply because they know the fanbase can make something better if not. In other words, if they don't make it good enough for someone to pay for, then a fan will make it for free. So it has to be good.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 07:27 PM   #1068
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
I must have been living under a rock because I only recognize 4-5 out of that list of DLCs for Oblivion

In any case I will be buying any DLC they come out with because of my love for the TES franchise as well as to help encourage and support Bethesda in their efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post

Being a loyal Fallout and TES player that I am, I will second this statement.

First of all, any other game company, your sorry backsides would have paid for the graphics uphaul. and Construction Kit.

Or like Total war games, modders could have been told to copulate with their mothers, but no...They encourage modding it, unlike Total war, who died when they switched to pack files, killing the main appeal of the game.

The DLC for Skyrim will be amazing. Simply because they know the fanbase can make something better if not. In other words, if they don't make it good enough for someone to pay for, then a fan will make it for free. So it has to be good.
Kind of shot myself in the foot in this respect. Damn consoles
Old 02-10-12, 07:35 PM   #1069
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
I must have been living under a rock because I only recognize 4-5 out of that list of DLCs for Oblivion
That is because they are not all for Oblivion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_3

Fallout 3, published in 2008, was Bethesda's first release of the newly-acquired Fallout franchise. It used the same Gamebryo engine as Oblivion and the same first-person perspective. It was also highly influential in the development of Skyrim, as well as the strategy in the production and release of Downloadable Content (DLCs).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas

This is a model that Bethesda continued in the release of Fallout: New Vegas, published in 2010. As these releases marked a continuation in the artistic and business approaches in the company. This philosophy, as evidenced through the video that Ducimus posted, has grown to make Bethesda into the company that could publish a masterwork like Skyrim. As such, I included the content as evidence of such continuity of action.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 07:55 PM   #1070
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Ah my mistake.
Old 02-10-12, 08:02 PM   #1071
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Someone made an Adeptus Astartes race in the workshop.

I suggest it for warrior types. And WH40k fans

I always play thieves, but I kinda like this mod for 2 handed brutes.

(look in races on the workshop)

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 09:34 PM   #1072
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38

Am I the only one that is complete bat **** scared of the next Elder Scrolls game? The next one just might actually be the one that ends up making me a complete hermit and never stepping out into the real world again.. Thankfully with Skyrim I have retained enough will to eat and goto work if barely.
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 10:06 PM   #1073
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Am I the only one that is complete bat **** scared of the next Elder Scrolls game? The next one just might actually be the one that ends up making me a complete hermit and never stepping out into the real world again.. Thankfully with Skyrim I have retained enough will to eat and goto work if barely.
I'm just glad I don't work with anyone who also plays, because believe me we'd both be on report for not getting anything done ever again. Haven't talked to our out-of-state main IT dude in a while but I'm betting the next convo we have will end up revolving around how awesome Skyrim is.

As it is I run into someone else who is playing it just about everywhere else I go, the dojo is particularly hazardous in this respect as I teach a kid's class as well as an adult class and they ALL know what it is and most of them have either played it or are dying inside a little each day because they haven't yet. It's almost impossible to keep the kid's classes on track now because that's *all* they want to talk to me about. The adult class is not as bad but it's pretty darn close, especially when some of the older (teenage) kids are in attendance.

On the tech front I am happy to report that I have been playing for the past two hours or so with the hi res packs enabled and all the glitches are gone, apparently it was the graphic driver update after all. Rolled that sucker back to the one from mid December which is what I had when I got the game and *bam* everything is fine again as far as I can tell. Serves me right for fixing something that wasn't broken in the first place.

I am still bummed that a couple of the texture mods I really liked no longer work with the hi res packs enabled, I'm guessing that the packs contain replacement textures that are differently named somehow and the game is loading those and since the files that the mods put in the /textures folder don't match name-wise they are getting passed over. But I dunno how these .esp and .esm and .dds files work, never seen them before. Guess I may have to crack open the creation kit and see what's what.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 10:35 PM   #1074
Drewcifer
Commodore

I have to say Dead Thrall is probably the greatest single spell in the game, yes it can be abused and made OP if you pick up the right NPC's... but still there is nothing more bad ass then rolling around with your own personal army at all times... Your character, your companion of choice, and two dead thralls, and the occasional extra quest related npc.

As for those texture mods, why not just wait? I'm sure they will be updated to work with the high res pack pretty soon anyways.
Old 02-10-12, 11:01 PM   #1075
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Close enough.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 12:12 AM   #1076
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Um... ouch.

Yer prolly gonna wanna put some Bactine on that.

So I have the Star of Azura thing now. Big question is, who do I take it to? I've been pretty lucky to keep coming across Black Soul Gems so there's no pressing need to have an unbreakable one.

Also now that I've finished the Civil War quests I've been using Kill Them Generals so I can actually clear out any Imperial camps that I stumble upon since they still seem pretty intent on killing me. Except for the inevitable wounded and they really need to make a mod that will let you take the wounded soldiers prisoner and deliver them to the nearest city or something because you're still left with just the options of killing them or leaving them there to die. I attacked the last one hoping he'd fight back but he just croaked and now I feel awful.
Old 02-11-12, 02:24 AM   #1077
Drewcifer
Commodore

Restore Azuras star = good character

Corrupt Azuras Star = bad character

IMHO

Anyways the choice is really yours, and how often you use soul gems, personally I play a total jerk off character and I went with the black star now when I enchant i just kill whatever lucky bastard is nearby and take his soul and I have a grand level soul.... the downside of white souls is you need to find a grand soul level creature to absorb, black souls can be found right outside your front door...
Old 02-11-12, 09:03 AM   #1078
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Eh, I may just return it. When I need a grand soul for enchanting I usually just buy it, in fact I've had to buy them on many occasions in order to give the merchant enough coin to take whatever it was I had to sell. I've got upwards of 100 of them on hand and they're just as good as black souls for enchanting and I don't see myself running out at this point.

OTOH if I remember correctly getting back to the Azura shrine will probably be a PITA while the mage in the inn is simply a matter of a carriage ride and a short walk.

OT other OH, most of the Daedric quests end up so ugly that it might be nice to have one that ends without me having to do something awful to get anything out of it. Either way, I still gotta go in the darn thing and fight what's his name.
Old 02-11-12, 09:07 PM   #1079
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

This game is addictive, so I started a new match, meanwhile have installed the highres pack, too, looks nice.

But in the main quest, after killking the dragoin at Kyneshain, I again come to a buggy end: again Delpohine refuses to gove me the conversation options that should be coming after having slaughtered the dragon.

I do not want to start a war, but in general I have to say this game is buggy as hell. I have had so many quests now that showed bugs, or bugs after having ended quests. So far all these bugs I label as that, have been described by others as well and indeed are this: bugs. Has not been that worse in Fallout, nor in Oblivion - and I played both excessively. Hope they give a very determined effort to squashing these many bugs.

And for now I would like to know why I am able to enchant my armor, but not my weapons? I know the spells for both are diufferfent, but I have both soul gems (=Seelensteine) and spells available, fire sparks for example. Where the procedure works well for all armnour, I am unable to enchant any weapon so far. Isn't the procedure the same?

Lovely looking game. Got married twice, the cute miner at Shor's Rock in the first game, and the sister of the trader in Riverwood now in the second. I decided against needing to worry about my cutie going with me into battle and maybe getting slaughtered by my own careless arrows. Establishing home in Rifton, which I like best by the look of the autumn forests.

Have given up on the main quest, and many bugs, and cannot enchant weapons. The game is nice, but it definetly needs urgent repairs. High Res is all nice and well, but repairing the many broken details would have been preferred over here. And the main quest being killed by a documented showstopper that does not get fixed in three additional releases now, is unforgivable.

---

On another issue, wshen I switched to Windows 7, I lost Fallout 3, it became too unstable and ctd-ed unpredictably after some minutes or half an hour. I tried compatability modes, but to no success. Anyone knowing a solution? Its the GOTY edition here with the three addons.

Oblivion/Shivering Isles runs flawless.
Old 02-11-12, 09:24 PM   #1080
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Ignore the question on enchanting armour. I did not understand the slider and its function, having ignored it and leaving the need to confirm unanswered, I was unable to choose a soul gem and so was unable to start the enchanting process.

Right after having typed in ther former post, it immediately dawned on me. Must have gotten harmed by some intellectual laziness spell when I got that arrow into my knee.