SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-12, 03:25 AM   #931
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB Team View Post
Oh, and this one's for Bubblehead:

Not sure if I ever said thanks for this Long time ago but thanks.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 08:29 PM   #932
gi_dan2987
Weps

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0

You know I've been playing RFB 1.52 this whole time and didn't even know there was a version 2.0 Does anyone know if this mod is as glitchy as 1.52? Every time I sink ships in 1.52 the skins go all whacky and turn funky colors, the text becomes unrecognizable, and I'm forced to just exit the game without being able to see what I'm clicking on. Anybody know what's going on?
gi_dan2987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 11:14 PM   #933
mido
Engineer

Downloads: 191
Uploads: 1

I didn't experience any glitches! But there is always something which could be improved.
mido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 03:33 AM   #934
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi_dan2987 View Post
You know I've been playing RFB 1.52 this whole time and didn't even know there was a version 2.0 Does anyone know if this mod is as glitchy as 1.52? Every time I sink ships in 1.52 the skins go all whacky and turn funky colors, the text becomes unrecognizable, and I'm forced to just exit the game without being able to see what I'm clicking on. Anybody know what's going on?
I think this is most likely something to do with your machine/video card/drivers.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 08:36 AM   #935
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Quote:

I'd try two things: First, if you're useing an ATI card, go into your CCC and set the AA to the lowest mode. I'm not talking about the samples settings ie.. 4x, 8x, ect., but the mode. One of the choices is Multi Sampleing. Those are the modes. Choose the lowest mode. If that doesn't clear things up, try installing the 4gig patch found in the D/L section. If your system has more than 2gigs of ram, this utility will allow programs (not just SH4) to use more than 2gigs. Cured alot of CTD's and weird stuff for lots of folks here. Good luck.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 06:40 PM   #936
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by mido View Post
Thanks Hylander, finally I figured out what changes to make in the relevant *.cfg files and my fleet boats can dive until they crush now. I really like RFB + RSRDC and if somebody could produce a mod which would allow you to dive down to 600 ft and more in a controlled way, that would be a big plus, also for TMO. It is historically not correct that the submarine would sink like a stone once past 500 ft of depth.

I'm no authority on the game phyics of SH4, but there was discussion of that issue back when the first mods allowed you go deeper than 600ft. Also having to increase speed the deeper you go to maintain control of the boat as it almost feels like the water gets physically denser the deeper you go and more speed is required to maintain trim. It weird is a ll I can say.

It's a hardcode issue that can't be corrected from what I understood.

Good to see you figured out how to make it for your boat to go passed the redline and survive.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 08:03 PM   #937
mido
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 View Post
I'm no authority on the game phyics of SH4, but there was discussion of that issue back when the first mods allowed you go deeper than 600ft. Also having to increase speed the deeper you go to maintain control of the boat as it almost feels like the water gets physically denser the deeper you go and more speed is required to maintain trim. It weird is a ll I can say.

It's a hardcode issue that can't be corrected from what I understood.

Good to see you figured out how to make it for your boat to go passed the redline and survive.
Well, if 3 or 4 "tin cans" drop nasty containers on you at the same time then the only escape is this... go deep and run silent...

You just can't go too deep, it stops somewhere. I did not change the crush depth.
Old 01-19-12, 08:25 PM   #938
mido
Engineer

I wish that some of us "wannabe" modders would work a little more together. It is very difficult to get some really helpful information from others here on the board if you want to dive a little deeper into this file soup and figure out where to make changes. I am analyzing file by file at the moment with different hex editors and Silent 3ditor but have very limited time to do so because of RL commitments.
I asked some questions here and only 2 persons answered them in a helpful way and that only by private messages. They wouldn't even post the answer here for everybody.

Why not?

If we "wannabe's" could get some more help from the "masters" of modding, hey, maybe we could create some nice mods too.
Old 01-26-12, 09:58 PM   #939
gi_dan2987
Weps

Default RFB 2.0 range and bearing problems

Ahoy fellas, I'm in the middle of a patrol southwest of honshu in the yellow sea. My lookouts spot a Large merchant heading my way at about 20 degrees AOB. Perfect, periscope depth, battle stations. Ok so this is going to be a chip shot for some easy tonnage right? wrong. I take my series of range/bearing readings at the allotted 3 minute intervals to get average speed estimate and course. Course 243, speed 5.5 knots, send to TDC, locked. I position my boat for a 70 degree impact angle, a couple fish set with impact fast, a couple magnetic slow. The only place I wanted this guy to go after 2 months of unsuccessful patrol was straight down. Four torps would more than do the job. torpedo gyro angle nearing zero, up periscope for one last range and bearing.... wait a second... 4000 yards??!! WHAA! This guy is literally right in front of me, I even pinged him at 1000 yards. ok so re-check range with tallest mast (merchant base height in RFB 2.0) on stadimeter, 2500???!! WTF!!?? double check ID, checks out, I got the right ship, a Large Merchant. OK so what is going on with this MOD! I quick ping, range 1100, bearing 350, AOB 95, torpedo gyro 004, I gotta shoot now! Spread shots 1 through 4 one degree interval. Fire 1-4! off to the races, 4 fish in the water and screaming home. Looking good, looking good, clunk, dud, clunk, dud, torp 3 miss, torp 4 miss. He begins evasive maneuver and spotlights center on my periscope I mean I had this guy locked dead on, how could this happen?! I'm getting so frustrated with this crap, I have half a mind to go back to stock 1.5 can anyone please help me with this?
Old 01-27-12, 03:57 PM   #940
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
He begins evasive maneuver and spotlights center on my periscope I mean I had this guy locked dead on, how could this happen?! I'm getting so frustrated with this crap, I have half a mind to go back to stock 1.5 can anyone please help me with this?
OK, here we go. No doubt there will be a dozen others posting who disagree with everything I say, but this is my advice.

First, I would not mix slow and fast torpedos, or magnetic and impact ones. This is, IMO, an extra complication you don't need. You didn't say how many observations were made before your attack, or whether you are plotting. I would suggest you make a plot, and have at least half a dozen observations, before you attack. A good plot will reveal any flaws in your firing solution or set up (at least once you have the experience to make full use of it). I know many do not like using plot methods, but this is how it was done for the most part, and provides the best possible situational awareness. The main exception being emergency situations, where there was not sufficient time for plotting. Also, if you were using the the little time computing button on the right slideout, be aware it is not considered to give accurate results. It's best to avoid using it.

I don't know why your range estimates were so different. If you are using sonar, and the stadimeter and sonar differ, I would go with the sonar estimate. Radar, of course, is a big help, if you have it. Ordinarily, I make range estimates at 3 or 6 min. intervals, update the plot and calculate speed, but I give the most recent positions more "weight", and may discard one if it seems implausible. I prefer to use the average of the 2 or 3 most recent observations. Stadimeter estimates of a distant target are unlikely to be very accurate.

I don't want to get too far into the weeds of the TORPEDO PROBLEM. I don't know exactly what works best in RFB, or any other mod. (I am usually in the S-class boats.) Even if I knew exactly what impact angle, what depth, what setting, produced the perfect results, I would not tell you. The whole point of having torpedo failures is that it simulates what was really encountered in the war, and the reality was that torpedos often failed. Having an easy way to sidestep this would be a game exploit, and defeat the purpose of it.

My present thinking about torpedo failure is this:
(I am assuming you are playing at a high level of difficulty here.)

Get a good set up and make your attack, the way you would if the torpedos worked ok.

Accept the fact that many will not perform ideally (or at all).

Launch twice the number you would need, if they were reliable.

If the target is a capitol ship, use as many as possible.

Do not begrudge yourself the extra expenditure of torpedos.

Congatulate yourself for each and every ship sunk.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12, 04:25 PM   #941
gi_dan2987
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Get a good set up and make your attack, the way you would if the torpedos worked ok.

Accept the fact that many will not perform ideally (or at all).

Launch twice the number you would need, if they were reliable.

If the target is a capitol ship, use as many as possible.

Do not begrudge yourself the extra expenditure of torpedos.

Congatulate yourself for each and every ship sunk.
I play at 100% realism settings, with no map contact updates. I feel that every point of renown should be correctly earned through skills and abilities, not the game engine. I don't like to ping as it sends up a warning as to where I am, though I'm not sure if a merchant can tell if it's being pinged. As for the stadimeter, I read somewhere within subsim forums that your geographical location on the map can affect the accuracy of your stadimeter, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Concerning my torpedo selection and settings; At the time of the said attack, my boat was fully loaded with Mk14 torps. I know they are notorious for duds while running high speed with impact pistol at 90 AOB. Thus the reasoning (though maybe not the best reasoning) behind shooting a "mixed batch" of torps. I can successfully conclude that torpedoes one and two were hits but duds, number three either failed to detonate or ran too deep, and number four ran amok, skittering off to the side harmlessly. I'm sure the crew inside that merchant messed their drawers hearing two dull thuds against their hull.

At any rate, I spent the renown and loaded up with Mk10's, and now I'm in port ready to head out to the East China Sea. I've always been a fan of plotting when given the time, but in a hurry the stopwatch icon is good for scratching down a solution for a quick hip shot. We shall see how this next patrol goes.

Respectfully yours,
Commander, USS Silversides
Old 01-27-12, 11:39 PM   #942
gi_dan2987
Weps

Ok so I just got back from my fourth patrol into the east china sea, and expended all torpedo stores at two convoys for a total tonnage score of 22,000 GRT. I used plotting methods to gather all the info, and actually never used the periscope once to conduct the attack outside of taking quick peaks to re-verify course and speed.

Once I had a series of range/bearing readings from my radar, I set my intercept for 90 AOB. Once in position approximately 1,000 yards from the estimated enemy course line, I ordered periscope depth, battle stations, and silent running. Sonar man informed me of merchants approaching, multiple contacts. I popped up the scope and took a range and bearing on the center ship, set timer, took another range/bearing at 5 minutes, and marked it on the map. Perfect, course 24 and according to the nomograph the convoy was maintaining its speed of 9 knots consistently. Info locked into TDC, check. All I needed to do was ping and shoot.

I raised the attack scope to note the 3 fattest targets and their bearings, then opened all 6 tubes (Mk10 torps this time) and went to the TDC. When my gyro was reaching zero, I went to the sonar station, found my fatboys on hydrophone. One ping, Two Pings, lock range/bearing, adjust AOB to match course on TDC, Fire one! Fire Two!
Next target, Two pings, lock range/bearing, adjust AOB to course, fire three, fire four!
Next target, same, five and six in the water.

All this pinging gave my position away pretty good, so I dove to test depth and went into silent running. On the way down my sonar man joyfully called out six torpedo impacts, unbelievable! within 45 minutes all three ships were beneath the waves, and I had just racked up 15,000 tons in one salvo. I'm so glad I finally understand how to attack a convoy now. Thanks for all your help fellas! Just on a side note, I refuse to use the dials anymore because they seem to have too much of an error margin.

Cheers!
Commander, USS Silversides.
Old 02-04-12, 01:54 PM   #943
altoso99
Swabbie

Downloads: 46
Default Completed campaign, things that I didn't like...

I'm playing RFB2.0+patchApril2010+RSRDC_RFB_575+RSRDC5xxPatch (in that order)

I just completed a campaign with a Gato, new construction from early 42 all the way to the end of the war.
Operating from... SUBPAC? (I mean Pearl-Midway-etc, no TASK FORCE) I never got a overhaul, I was stuck with the early war tower, .50 cal machinegun for AA defense and black paint. However, I was able to buy new deck guns.

I turned down a some new submarine offers, I don't know if that has something to do with that... I wanted to keep my sub, but get the overhauls, and I don't know how to do it or if it's possible...

I never got a special mission, it was all go there and sink ships, I wanted some special missions like recon, SF deployment, saving pilots... things like that. I don't know if that's caused by the RSRD campaign...

Now I'm going to start another campaign, this time with a Tambor, any advice? I want to get overhauls and special missions.
altoso99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 02:07 PM   #944
altoso99
Swabbie

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoso99 View Post
I'm playing RFB2.0+patchApril2010+RSRDC_RFB_575+RSRDC5xxPatch (in that order)

I just completed a campaign with a Gato, new construction from early 42 all the way to the end of the war.
Operating from... SUBPAC? (I mean Pearl-Midway-etc, no TASK FORCE) I never got a overhaul, I was stuck with the early war tower, .50 cal machinegun for AA defense and black paint. However, I was able to buy new deck guns.

I turned down a some new submarine offers, I don't know if that has something to do with that... I wanted to keep my sub, but get the overhauls, and I don't know how to do it or if it's possible...

I never got a special mission, it was all go there and sink ships, I wanted some special missions like recon, SF deployment, saving pilots... things like that. I don't know if that's caused by the RSRD campaign...

Now I'm going to start another campaign, this time with a Tambor, any advice? I want to get overhauls and special missions.
PD: Ups no new construction 42 that was TMO I mean april 42 the first available Gato. Freaking german forum I wanted to edit not quote haha sorry
altoso99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 02:16 PM   #945
gi_dan2987
Weps

I'm now playing TMO 2.5 and I must say that is pretty intense as far as immersion factor goes.