SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-17-17, 01:27 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Destroyers

Something i've disliked about TMO RSRD for a long time is how strong and resistant to torpedoes Destroyers and some DE's, corvettes are to bow shots. This was changed from stock by Duci I believe, likely to make bow shots less effective(?).

Take's 2 torpedoes to bow to stop them sometimes, bit much. Trying to decide(and save myself time if possible) if issue is a zone issue, where the bow was strengthened or if he just upped the armor level and hit points and that is a result. Anyone know? If a zone, any idea which one? looking in .zon file and lol lost
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 01:56 PM   #2
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Something i've disliked about TMO RSRD for a long time is how strong and resistant to torpedoes Destroyers and some DE's, corvettes are to bow shots. This was changed from stock by Duci I believe, likely to make bow shots less effective(?).

Take's 2 torpedoes to bow to stop them sometimes, bit much. Trying to decide(and save myself time if possible) if issue is a zone issue, where the bow was strengthened or if he just upped the armor level and hit points and that is a result. Anyone know? If a zone, any idea which one? looking in .zon file and lol lost
I thought RFB fixed this so down the throat shots could be possible, (more effective and possible) ...maybe it was Ducimus. Whomever it was that discussed this explained their method & edits to the bow damage zones.

Arrgh, maybe it was on kickinbak....
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 02:52 PM   #3
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

First thing I would do is check something like

\Data\Sea\NDD_Fubuki\NDD_Fubuki.zon

All the way at the bottom is "collisionable object" which has the armor rating and hit points for that ship. Stock Fubuki is armor level 15 and 100 hit points, if either of those is higher then that's what the mod author changed.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 05:11 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
First thing I would do is check something like

\Data\Sea\NDD_Fubuki\NDD_Fubuki.zon

All the way at the bottom is "collisionable object" which has the armor rating and hit points for that ship. Stock Fubuki is armor level 15 and 100 hit points, if either of those is higher then that's what the mod author changed.
I did that.Yes armor level is 25 and hit points set to 400. hmmm that could be the culprit. Seems like I remember ducimus saying he also strengthened DD's bows specifically. Cant locate the bow's speicfic zone, it maybe have jacked up armor levels.
Old 06-17-17, 07:46 PM   #5
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

This post by Tater may be of interest, had to do a forum search to find it. I'm still looking for the Topic post on 'down the throat shots' for sinking DD's and how to make it possible. I remember seeing it years ago...

Tater wrote:
Quote:
Open a ship dat file in S3D. While the dat is open, open the zon file for the same ship with S3D. Then click the zon editor button in the dat under model view.

The damage zones will become visible as boxes. They all need editing. The size matters in relation to the blast radius of each weapon. Since ships might also fight other ships, you need to mess with all ships, and likely all weapons.
I don't want paper thin bows because DD's did use ramming as a tactic, however an effective/lethal 'down the throat shot' should still be possible.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 08:58 PM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
This post by Tater may be of interest, had to do a forum search to find it. I'm still looking for the Topic post on 'down the throat shots' for sinking DD's and how to make it possible. I remember seeing it years ago...

Tater wrote:
I don't want paper thin bows because DD's did use ramming as a tactic, however an effective/lethal 'down the throat shot' should still be possible.

I may restore to stock levels and see how it plays out. I recall using down the throat shots in stock , and DD's ramming as well with no problems.
Old 06-17-17, 09:07 PM   #7
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

"Yes armor level is 25 and hit points set to 400. hmmm that could be the culprit"

Stock Mark 14 120-180 hit points, Mark 16 180-350 hit points. Stock destroyer one fish removes all the hit points (100), the enhanced DD with 400 hit points would require two fish. So your options are restore the DDs to the original value, or get torpedoes with more boom.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4380
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 09:10 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
"Yes armor level is 25 and hit points set to 400. hmmm that could be the culprit"

Stock Mark 14 120-180 hit points, Mark 16 180-350 hit points. Stock destroyer one fish removes all the hit points (100), the enhanced DD with 400 hit points would require two fish. So your options are restore the DDs to the original value, or get torpedoes with more boom.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4380
I've already upped hit points on torpedoes recently, Mark 14 was less powerful than the 18, yet in reality it had a larger warhead. One torpedo to take out a DD is reasonable in most cases, they were tin can's after all.