SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-18-12, 05:32 PM   #16
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

By the way I never have revisited FO3 I still play it lately I have been playing less of FONV and more of FO3 and Skyrim.

I like things about both recent FO games so I keep both installed.There is a mod "Requiem fro the Capital Wasteland" that allows you to play both as in you can play all the quests and travel between the two I have not tried it because it does not jive with alot of FO3 specific mods but I think that mod actually caused a sales increase in FO3 for a few months.

Both games also have very extensive player made addons FO3 has "Alton IL" and FONV has "Beyond Boulder Dome".

A strange thing though I notice is that on my PC FONV uses more system resources than FO3 I have the settings the same as well they run at the same frame rate but FONV for what ever reason runs hotter and oddly I have more demanding mods running with FO3.Even more strange Skyrim runs at a higher frame rate than both FO games and I have some highres mods running with that.

Also the most recent driver set for my GT 440 made both Skyrim and FO3 run a little better than before but FONV did not improve as much.It just seems odd as FO3 and FONV from a graphical
standpoint and program standpoint nearly identical.

Last edited by Stealhead; 09-18-12 at 05:51 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-12, 01:30 PM   #17
Kloef
Weps

Downloads: 30

In Fallout3 you can wander around for weeks discovering things, some buildings like the Capital Building and the Hospital are great areas. Seeing those big disks at the horizon and walking there to get emerged in a whole story by itself and the great reward when you are at end of it.

Finding audiotapes that start you on a new quest, or collect all those family tapes to find out what happened to them. Your first Quantum Coke..

Then there's the Metro system, ahhh the Metro with all those Ghouls that put your hair on end, just the atmosphere of all of that..

Even if you have found and discovered everything, and i came pretty close to seeing every square feet of the game world there's still the respawning of certain enemies that makes you come back for more..

The first arrival in Point Lookout..getting the Backwater Rifle and loving it from the start, the dartgun that i allways refused to use but then did and changed my way of playing and conserving munition.

Just finding bits and pieces about what happened in those final hours that's what so great about Fallout3.

New Vegas claims to have a greater world to explore but count in all the buildings in F3, the Metro, the downloads and you got a much much bigger world..

When i was finished with New vegas i sweeped the whole world of enemies in a week and they never came back, no fearless enemy like the Reaver, no Behemoth's..

Hardcore mode is another thing, it's a pity they didn't use that in Fallout3 but there's probably a mod for it now..

This topic made me think about reinstalling, i'm close to that point now

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/
Kloef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-12, 03:52 PM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Galaxy News Radio. I was missing them tunes.
Old 09-20-12, 07:14 PM   #19
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Galaxy News Radio. I was missing them tunes.
FO3 Radio stations were way better.

I liked Mr. New Vegas, but seemed more Nor Cal style than Vegas style, too stoned, yet amusing.

I love all the FO games. If it was not for my current queue of games to play, with new releases coming, I would fire this up again.

Damn you Assassins Creed 3, and the 2 games I bought a month ago on steam sales and never played...

I hate having a job. I want to play.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-12, 07:27 PM   #20
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

FO3 was a better game for me than NV. The reason is this type of game I have never played. It had a real feeling of post nuke world or what it might possibly be like. It was quite imaginative. The ghouls in the subways breathing heavy in the pitch black can be hair raising. The layout of DC and familiar city names I know and lived by made the game very enjoyable. For me it was about the exploring. The storyline was fill time between finding new places and things. The add-ons where great as well. NV is right on its tail though.
Old 09-20-12, 07:29 PM   #21
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloef View Post
When i was finished with New vegas i sweeped the whole world of enemies in a week and they never came back, no fearless enemy like the Reaver, no Behemoth's
I'll take it that you never ventured into Dead Wind Cavern, let alone the Divide.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-12, 07:49 PM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
FO3 Radio stations were way better.
Galaxy News Radio is FO3.
Old 09-20-12, 08:16 PM   #23
soopaman2
Der Alte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Galaxy News Radio is FO3.
Meh, I suck at life.

I attribute it to game splatter, playing too many games!

Uhh no, I was just wrong.

-Winston Churchill-

Old 09-21-12, 03:04 AM   #24
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

I'm interested in trying Fallout 3 as I really loved playing FO 1 and FO 2.

However there seems to be some DRM issues on the game. The box at the supermarket said that the game requires an internet connection to register and a Steam account.

1. Does this mean I need to have an active internet connection to play or is it only a one time registration and after that I can play even if I don't have a working connection?
2. What do I need a Steam account for?
3. Can I install the game to one computer and then to another after the old computer joins the hunting grounds of bygone computers?

I'd love to try the game, it's only 25 euros with all the addons, but I hesitate buying a game whose installing process I expect to be a pain.
Old 09-21-12, 03:48 AM   #25
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

1. One time activation, after that you can run Steam in offline mode if you want.
2. Steam is the DRM (among many many other things), the game is launched via the program.
3. Yes, when you log in to your Steam account from a new computer, Steam sends you a code you need to input before it allows you to log-in.

Also, if you ever happen to lose the physical copy or the disc goes titties up, you can download it via Steam.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 05:07 AM   #26
Skybird
Soaring

Why bother with Steam if you do not have to? There are Gold-Editions of FO3 these days, or Game of the Year editions, that do not require Steam, and come with the five addons included. My GOTY version also did not need to register online. I payed 15 bucks or so two years ago.

Also, 25 Euros is too much. You can have it for much less. Check Amazon. 6.60 punds at the UK store, 11 Euros at the German store.

If you have a quadcore and Win7, be prepared to install, launch one, exit, find the ini-file, and do the two-lines changes that I described above. It is no big deal
Old 09-21-12, 06:05 AM   #27
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Thanks a lot guys for clearing these clouds of doubt from my mind

It seems I'm off to the wastelands in no time
Old 09-24-12, 01:02 PM   #28
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

For anyone that has Fallout 3 you should really try the mod called D.C. Interiors it adds tons of homes,shops and other establishments to explore.They are all in existing buildings that where mere shells in the stock game very cool mod.

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/5573

Marks Mutant Mod and Fallout Wanderers Edition are two other great mods.

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/3211

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/2761
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 01:31 PM   #29
Kloef
Weps

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Fallout Wanderers Edition
I probably will be installing this mod next weekend or so, just found out about it

Especially since you can choose to skip the start and have an alternative one.

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/
Kloef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 05:24 PM   #30
soopaman2
Der Alte

With my experiences with the steam workshop with Skyrim, TF2 etc, I wonder why more games do not attempt to sign on.

Nexus is great, but in order to get a mod, you have to install B mod, and change this file, so it says 0 instead of one, then download c, but make sure you change this file so it does not clash with "A" file....Errr, I am sure you get it.

Nexus has always been clunky for me, not very computer dummy friendly at all.

I am no moron either. (despite how I potray myself at times in General Topics.)

-Winston Churchill-