SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-17, 07:30 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Conning towers

Thinking I'd like to create the USS Drum to reflect the real ship, Possible to place a Balao conning tower on the Gato class hull? In real life as many may know, Drum's original conning tower was replaced in early 44 after it was cracked during a severe depth charging in late 43. No Gato class towers were available, so a Balao tower was fitted, giving her a unique silhouette for a Gato class.

Thinking I'd like to do this, and using the kill flags mod add some art to the tower . Painted in the light gray dark blue scheme as she was after the refit with 5inch forward deck gun, one 40 MM forward, one 20 MM aft.

I'm still learning how to do a lot of this, anyone with knowledge, feel free to chime in.

also, trying to remove ship sunk icons, the captains log showing vessels sunk, as well as the automatic ID for vessels. Add the fog of war.How to do this?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 12:49 PM   #2
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Thinking I'd like to create the USS Drum to reflect the real ship, Possible to place a Balao conning tower on the Gato class hull? In real life as many may know, Drum's original conning tower was replaced in early 44 after it was cracked during a severe depth charging in late 43. No Gato class towers were available, so a Balao tower was fitted, giving her a unique silhouette for a Gato class.

Thinking I'd like to do this, and using the kill flags mod add some art to the tower . Painted in the light gray dark blue scheme as she was after the refit with 5inch forward deck gun, one 40 MM forward, one 20 MM aft.

I'm still learning how to do a lot of this, anyone with knowledge, feel free to chime in.

also, trying to remove ship sunk icons, the captains log showing vessels sunk, as well as the automatic ID for vessels. Add the fog of war.How to do this?
I think making the ShipDestroyed.dds transparent - maybe - either in menu_1024_768.ini ?? Or just the ShipDestroyed.dds file itself found in \Data\Menu\Gui\Units\ - I think this is the graphic they used.

I got tired of the grey mission accomplished stars being in my way so I made those transparent. Now I can see aircraft & ship icons that were previously hidden behind the grey stars. They start out yellow but once the mission is accomplished they disappear.

I know where the ships sunk data is kept but I don't know how to separate it from the clipboard.

I like your DRUM idea but it would probably change the CT in all GATO's, but how to get around that?
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 03:13 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
I think making the ShipDestroyed.dds transparent - maybe - either in menu_1024_768.ini ?? Or just the ShipDestroyed.dds file itself found in \Data\Menu\Gui\Units\ - I think this is the graphic they used.

I got tired of the grey mission accomplished stars being in my way so I made those transparent. Now I can see aircraft & ship icons that were previously hidden behind the grey stars. They start out yellow but once the mission is accomplished they disappear.

I know where the ships sunk data is kept but I don't know how to separate it from the clipboard.

I like your DRUM idea but it would probably change the CT in all GATO's, but how to get around that?

Yep, solved the ship destroyed marker, borrow from traveller mod. Trying to figure out how he made the captains log disappear.Where is the data kept?

With the DRUM idea, perhaps create a player sub classified as something else? Such as a Type 201(not used far as I know ) and go from there? I could be wrong but thinking if have a "2nd Gato" not related to the "primary" Gato class, won't affect things. I'm new to to this aspect, learning as I go.

;Submarine
Type200=Submarine
Type201=Replenishment Submarine
Type202=Missile Submarine
Type203=Environmental
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 06:06 PM   #4
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Yep, solved the ship destroyed marker, borrow from traveller mod. Trying to figure out how he made the captains log disappear.Where is the data kept?
In My Documents Saved Games, this is where the actual information is located:
SaveData.clg – the ships that have been sunk are saved here with date, time, and location.
Quote:
With the DRUM idea, perhaps create a player sub classified as something else? Such as a Type 201(not used far as I know ) and go from there? I could be wrong but thinking if have a "2nd Gato" not related to the "primary" Gato class, won't affect things. I'm new to to this aspect, learning as I go.

;Submarine
Type200=Submarine
Type201=Replenishment Submarine
Type202=Missile Submarine
Type203=Environmental
That looks like a good idea, certainly won't hurt anything to try it.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote