SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-07, 04:12 PM   #31
Julius Caesar
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Yeah, I was stuck there, too.
You have to add line in menu.txt and in shipname.cfg files...
But it still does not read the data from the .cfg file.
I guess it has to be linked using item id?
Old 05-27-07, 07:51 AM   #32
Brigs
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
But it still does not read the data from the .cfg file.
I guess it has to be linked using item id?
I believe the itemid is only used to track the positioning of items being displayed...it doesn't provide a link to variable data within other files. Just in case you haven't seen it, there's a very good tutorial about the basic workings of the menu.ini here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=111832

Semper Fi Mud

I agree with you about not fine tuning things to the point where all measurements are precise (therefore, making it too easy). 'Realism' is always most important for me, also.

However, this little project doesn't have anything to do with range estimates. It's actually an attempt to try to add some useful realism to the in-game recognition manual, only so that people who might want to use it don't have to go out-of-game to get necessary target ship info.
Brigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 08:13 AM   #33
Brigs
Watch

Downloads: 0

Mods,

Is it possible to edit the thread title to put a [WIP] at the beginning of the title ? I started this before noticing the system you guys came up with for tracking this stuff in the forum.

Of course, the obvious question may be " If this guy can't figure out how to edit a thread title, what the heck is he doing playin' around inside the game files ?! "

And, at this point, I happen to think that's a very good question.
Brigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 10:52 AM   #34
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Of course, the obvious question may be " If this guy can't figure out how to edit a thread title, what the heck is he doing playin' around inside the game files ?! "
LOL don't worry, only moderators can edit the titles of the threads You are doing a hell of a job, keep it coming
Old 05-27-07, 11:33 AM   #35
Julius Caesar
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Brigs,
please inform us if you do manage to add data to rec. manual (length and aspect ratio); data that will be read from shipname.cfg files...
Old 05-27-07, 01:23 PM   #36
Mav87th
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

If you plan on using the tic-marks with a real Range-Calculator (like Kim Rønhof's Mark3B), then you need to either do changes to your Cameras.dat file or perhaps use my Cameras mod from this threat.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=115525
Old 08-09-07, 11:36 PM   #37
Bono_LV
Watch

Downloads: 3

Where I can get Brigs's mod? Given link doesn't work.
Bono_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-13, 04:41 PM   #38
mr. whukid
Watch

Downloads: 35

This is great! Thanks!
Old 04-15-13, 04:48 PM   #39
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

You know, when people revive a thread after almost six years they usually add something to it. The guy who started it hasn't even looked at Subsim in five years.
Old 04-15-13, 09:31 PM   #40
mr. whukid
Watch

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
You know, when people revive a thread after almost six years they usually add something to it. The guy who started it hasn't even looked at Subsim in five years.
My bad. I was going through the mods thread and thought I'd thank the creator of the mod. Thanks for implying I had something to do with the OP not being here for five years though. Clearly the mature choice
Old 04-16-13, 09:28 AM   #41
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

These old threads show the concern we had for figuring manual targeting, and wondering why we didn't get the results we expected.

Back in 2007 (depending on which patched version was out then, 1.1 or 1.2) the guys using the metric system were getting manual targeting stadimeter readings that were in yards not meters!? Little did anyone suspect this error was a contributing factor to those using the metric system to getting inaccurate firing solutions.

I see someone pointed out they should use Krupps Dimensions for ship mast height. The need for revising the measurements was really needed back in those days (and they still are today).....the measurements were terribly inaccurate! However, Krupp made his dimensions for the stock ships based on real life measurements. The only trouble with that was the measuring tools the game provided were just as inaccurate as the measurements.

The idea of listing lengths in the Recognition Manual so the scope could measure a ships angled length compared to its true length is an excellent one for figuring AoB. However, we didn't know the scope telemeter divisions were not accurately scaled to measure the particular Field of View the scope provides. Nor did anyone suspect the particular resolution/aspect angle a player used with his system, would be different compared to someone else when looking at the same target, at the same distance!?

Having accurate measurements are only as good as the accuracy of the yard stick you use with them.

I'll admit one thing, as long as you allow the target to get so close you can see the "whites off their eyes", an average player will never know how far off his firing solution really was....his result of getting a hit is all that counts. Gut shots do wonders for a shooters ego.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote