SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Pirates & Sailing Ships
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-07, 10:17 PM   #1
Rose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Age of Pirates?

Is it basically the sequal to Pirates of the Caribbean aka Sea Dogs II? So is it really Sea Dogs III? If so, what are the differences in gameplay, etc. I found POTC rather hard and uninstalled it quickly. Is AoP better than PotC?
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 02:16 AM   #2
Reaves
The Old Man

Downloads: 4

Ok follow along if you can.

POTC was suppose to be Sea Dogs 2 but Disney and Akella made a deal so Sea Dogs 2 was scrapped and they used all the work they had to make POTC. AOP IS Sea Dogs 3 but as Sea Dogs 2 was never finished it is actually Sea Dogs 2.

Sea Dogs + AOP are the same story/world
POTC is in the world Disney made.

I personally like AOP, but only with the large mod you will find at www.piratesahoy.net.
It is tricky to install the mod. Make sure you change your whole AOP directory from Read only before installing it. And even do it again afterwards.

I like AOP because you can actually take over settlements. It has a more open ended feel than POTC and basically it is harder to get bored once you complete the plot. In POTC there was not much to do once you clocked the game but AOP with it's open endedness has plenty to do. Keep building your settlements.
Old 12-07-07, 03:04 PM   #3
Tachyon
Captain

Downloads: 0

I've played Age of Pirates using the "Supermod" (Which is the large mod mentioned by Reaves), infact I highly recommend playing with this mod, even though the game still has a long way to go.

The game is still very buggy even with the latest 1.5 patch (Which is incorporated by the Supermod), some features still aren't there...you can't marry for instance.

In addition, there's actually no point to upgrading your Settlement's defenses. This is because the AI is so weak that even a single enemy ship can capture your entire colony of say..1650 people.

There are also other annoying bugs, such as your ship getting flooded with 1000000 planks when you use the "Take all" option from an enemy ship. Friendly ship AI is also fairly weak.

On a positive note, the graphics are fairly good...the sea is realistically simulated, although some aspects of the game seem to be false, for example Upgrading your ships with copper plating is supposed to make them go fast, but in AOP it actually slows them down .

The keys in AOP also need to be remapped, by Default a few of them are unmapped.

** I suggest downloading the POTC Build 13 mod , which improves the original Pirates of the Caribbean a ton, Build 14 is still in beta and unstable, suggest you skip that**.

The modding community for Age of Pirates is comparatively dormant compared to that of POTC, so don't expect anything special for a year or two.

So Rose, to answer your question : Is AOP better than POTC? Well, AOP is still very buggy, it doesn't function the way it's supposed to, so POTC is slightly better.

POTC plus the Build 13 mod.... now that's a different story, POTC wins hands down here and AOP + Supermod is nowhere close.

Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 02:20 PM   #4
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

I played SeaDogs when it came out, and lately POTC with the Build 13 mod. Unfortunately I found the whole series the be some of the most stupid designed games, especially the interface. The game world is pure Hollywood, nothing to do how I imagine the period.

And I have not read anything that leads me to believe that AOP is that much different.

Sorry that I have to be negative but this game's really pissed me off.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote