SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-16, 01:15 PM   #1
klingenj
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Went to check out my countrys only preserved WW2 U-boat today (german made). Kept thinking about you guys and the possibility to get to play a game with all these levers and turn-wheels.

SO HYPED
klingenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 12:53 AM   #2
Anarchy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I am confused, is this game going to be a regular PC game, or is it going to be vr. if it's going to be VR, then i guess it's time for me to save up some money
Old 08-28-16, 02:35 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophist View Post
Looks amazing! Can't wait to see what it becomes.

Serious question though: Do you worry about real sea-sickness in players with VR gear? Interesting new level of immersion, this VR stuff.
They tell me that motion sickness is a concern with VR games where you "walk" or "run". The VR I have seen is structured so that you "teleport" from place to place in the game; you point a light beam at the spot in the game where you want to go and click the controller, and you are there. That avoids the motion in the game that induces motion sickness. They tell me.

In our demo, the sea state is pretty mild, but there are waves higher than head-level and the boat does rock some. I did not get seasick, but I was affected by the movement and could not stop myself from trying to sway and keep my balance, even though my actual feet were on a stable studio floor. It's a crazy thing, truly. Honestly, I really want to build a VR version where the U-boat is in a true storm....I think I would risk the sea sickness to try that.

I wonder if VR players will adapt to motion sickness the way real sailors learn to adapt to real sea sickness... wouldn't that be interesting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingenj View Post
Went to check out my countrys only preserved WW2 U-boat today (german made). Kept thinking about you guys and the possibility to get to play a game with all these levers and turn-wheels.

SO HYPED
Nice! Which sub is that? Vesikko?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
I am confused, is this game going to be a regular PC game, or is it going to be vr. if it's going to be VR, then i guess it's time for me to save up some money
Wolfpack will be a regular PC game. If the support for the game is sufficient, the devs are very interested in developing a VR version of the game. Their proof of concept demonstrates the current game engine will work in VR; to make a VR version would require additional development to make the game work in a VR environment. TL: DR - regular game + VR if sales are good.
Old 08-28-16, 08:59 AM   #4
klingenj
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Nice! Which sub is that? Vesikko?
It is indeed Vesikko. It was very nice, and I can not believe I havent gone before. Your game is having me discover new sides of me!
klingenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 02:40 AM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Ha ha, that's what we do here at Subsim
Old 09-21-16, 07:56 AM   #6
rainiere
Seaman

Downloads: 281

Meanwhile, the HMS Marulken demo got a fun playthrough at frooglesim's YouTube channel:

rainiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 12:41 PM   #7
Feldpost
Watch

Downloads: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
...I wonder if VR players will adapt to motion sickness the way real sailors learn to adapt to real sea sickness... wouldn't that be interesting?
Interessting point

Never played with VR yet (motion sickness) but got some experience in smaller boats (sea sickness)... i think both are similar since in both cases the problem is that the sense of balance doesn't match to the visuals you get...

On boats, as long you have moderate sea and 'static' visuals like the horizone there are no problems with sea sickness (so, if you get someone who becomes seasick on a sailboat in moderate sea-> let take him the rudder control on deck ASAP)

If you go under deck to grab some food and lose that 'visual' fix points, (similar to read a book as car passenger, some people get sick fast).

There should be an option accessible like (one for 'outside' and another for inside sub)
* Slider: fix view to ship <=vs.=> fix view to horizone (this should be always accessible in a 'pause'-menu)

lol, that could also be used as a skill for a possible single-campaign mode: "seafarer-legs" - Getting seasick fast and hard to hit the controls in beginning

I like the idea with the teleport system using a light beam, a nice matching flashlamp (red under 'red-light ' conditions)
Feldpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 07:09 AM   #8
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldpost View Post
[...] On boats, as long you have moderate sea and 'static' visuals like the horizone there are no problems with sea sickness (so, if you get someone who becomes seasick on a sailboat in moderate sea-> let take him the rudder control on deck ASAP) [...]
Lol tell this to my wife. She was seasick below deck as she was on deck, and at the helm. But then i still wonder what she was doing aboard S175 back then

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 10:48 AM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ Nice!
Not as Diesel-electric as in the US fleet subs, but the first time i read about this, and in detail!

Should post this in the Wolfpack forum, so they can build this sim right!
But maybe a bit too complicated to simulate all this

What should be simluated though is, while both Diesels running full ahead and both driving the generators (= both electric engines switched to generator/dynamo mode and coupled to the propshaft), the overall speed should change from say 18 knots to a bit less, but not decreasing the overall speed so much as it has been simulated in all those other sims!

Running full ahead while charging the batteries should still be good for some 15 knots!
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2430500#post2430500 DONE ! The 5% rudder screw-speed offset should be interesting.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marulken, wolfpack