SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-23-11, 06:11 AM   #8236
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenew1 View Post
Actually I have 4GB installed but due to use of the 32 bit version of XP I am limited to 3,5GB or so. :-(((

Edit:
- I changed gfx settings to lowest (just to give it a try, maybe to save ram?) => still same problem with CTD
- I tried a fresh install of SH5 => still the same

Is it maybe a problem to use a different game path (e.g. D:\Games\SH5)?

Maybe I have to change my old XP 32bit to Win7 64bit?

I am really sad. Your mod is the most important mod for me.
Hi,

Suggestions to improve your system's performance;

As I run a Swedish version of Win7 I've below tried to translate the expressions to English but I hope you'll understand me despite this.

The quickest way to improve system usage is to;
- Clean your system, try to download CCleaner from the internet.
- Shut off as many other programs as possible when you play SH5 and\or
- Use your RAM as efficiently as possible i.e. adjust your virtual memory (page file) so go to;

A. Control panel\System\Advanced system settings\Advanced Tab\Performance\Advanced Tab\Virtual Memory, click 'Change'. Make a note of the settings here before you proceed.
Now we get to three most often debated setting options that you can choose from.

1. Set your own values. I'd think this is the option for you.
If you'd like to try this I suggest you first try to set
'Min' to 0.8 x 4 (your RAM 4 Mb) = 3.2 Mb and
'Max' to 1.5 x 4 = 6 Mb
The 'Max' value is most important as it decides the upper limit of how much virtual memory is allocated to your hard drive. The more RAM you've got the virtual memory can be decreased.
More RAM > Windows will need less virtual memory.
Try setting the 'Max' as low as possible.
You can even set both 'Min' and 'Max' to the same value thus forcing Windows to not jumping up and down when using the virtual memory.
When I had 4 Mb RAM I set this to 0.5 x RAM = 2 Mb and it worked fine for me.

Second option is;

2. Let Windows self decide the size of the virtual memory.
Most often Windows chooses to allocate more virtual memory than usually is necessary to your hard drive.
As the hard drive is much slower than the RAM this will most likely slow down your system.

The third option is;

3. To choose 'No Virtual Memory (page file)'
To choose 'No Virtual Memory\Page file' means your RAM will take care of 100 % of the memory usage.
The advantage is that your system uses the RAM only which is much faster than letting Windows use some of your hard drive which will slow down system performance.
The possible disadvantage in your case (4 Mb) is that it could lead to that you run out of memory and that warnings pop up telling you that your memory is low.
If this happens just go to 'A' above and enable the Virtual memory again.
'No Virtual Memory (Page File) is more demanding as it works best if you have a lot of RAM so I don't think this an option for you.

Regardless if you choose to try one of the options above or not you could clean up your virtual memory every time you shut your computer down.
You do it this way;
a) Make a search for 'regedit.exe'
b) Open it up
c) Go to;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management and open the string 'ClearPageFileAtShutdown'
Change the value to '1'.
Reboot.
When you now shut your system down your virtual memory/Page file will be cleaned and run faster next time you start your computer.

Hope something of this helps.
Regards

Last edited by Silent Steel; 11-23-11 at 08:46 AM.
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 08:19 AM   #8237
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

He should also try the 3GB switch since he's running XP 32bit
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 08:47 AM   #8238
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
He should also try the 3GB switch since he's running XP 32bit
Oh yes, I forgot to mention it.
Old 11-23-11, 09:24 AM   #8239
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post
Oh yes, I forgot to mention it.
See here for info on the switch:- http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=316

A point to note is this part :-

Even with the switch
Quote:
play for a long time, pass through a lot of harbors etc, you might even exceed the 3GB limit. So CTDs are event possible with that switch, even though more seldom.
Old 11-23-11, 10:44 AM   #8240
Zs4zet
Bosun

Downloads: 76

I saw the CTD come for me, after the system slowed down, and this state exist until a time. Firstly, I not understand why.
I found, the virus guard systems has a big priority of task, and they randomly allocated system-resources, and hold back my system performance. Thus, before I start the game, I temporary disabled the virus guard software.

I not recommend this method without conditionally, because possible forget to turn on, but this was effective for me.
Zs4zet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 11:13 AM   #8241
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zs4zet View Post
I saw the CTD come for me, after the system slowed down, and this state exist until a time. Firstly, I not understand why.
I found, the virus guard systems has a big priority of task, and they randomly allocated system-resources, and hold back my system performance. Thus, before I start the game, I temporary disabled the virus guard software.

I not recommend this method without conditionally, because possible forget to turn on, but this was effective for me.
Yonapot kivanok Zs4zet ur,

This could be a memory problem as well, please see my post 8250 above.

Old 11-23-11, 12:47 PM   #8242
Zs4zet
Bosun

Downloads: 76

Thanks Silent Steel!
I shy, download+burn+run Memtest-86, but not found any memory error.
The tips of virtual memory has interesting for me. I used always the default setting of Windows7 x64.

Best Regards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post
Yonapot kivanok Zs4zet ur,

This could be a memory problem as well, please see my post 8250 above.

Zs4zet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 04:30 PM   #8243
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262

Hi everyone.

I'm running TDW's UI mod, IRAI and FX Update. When I tested compatibility with the TDC Torp Test mission, I'm getting wildly conflicting ranges between the stadimeter and my map tools (left contacts on so I can test stad accuracy). Didn't the UI mod fix the stadimeter issue? Is there something basic I'm forgetting to do?

For example, when I ID a ship and take a stadi reading it should 12k+ meters. When I measure the distance on my map it is only like 3k meters. WHy the huge discrepancy?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am using 1440x900 res so installed the 8x5 manos scope mod. Is that not the correct scope patch for my resolution?
Old 11-23-11, 05:11 PM   #8244
Thenew1
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Thank you, Silent Steel! I tried some of your suggestions but unfortunately without success. Thank you TDW for all of your contributions!

Finally I will change my system to Win7 in the near future. Of course, I will keep you informed if I was successful with installing SH5 and your mod.

Until then, keep up the good work! THANK YOU!
Thenew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 05:15 PM   #8245
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm running TDW's UI mod, IRAI and FX Update. When I tested compatibility with the TDC Torp Test mission, I'm getting wildly conflicting ranges between the stadimeter and my map tools (left contacts on so I can test stad accuracy). Didn't the UI mod fix the stadimeter issue? Is there something basic I'm forgetting to do?

For example, when I ID a ship and take a stadi reading it should 12k+ meters. When I measure the distance on my map it is only like 3k meters. WHy the huge discrepancy?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am using 1440x900 res so installed the 8x5 manos scope mod. Is that not the correct scope patch for my resolution?
I think using the stadi from 12km away may be your issue here.
Go a bit closer - say 3 to 5km max and test again
Old 11-23-11, 06:08 PM   #8246
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Hi everyone.

The stadimeter works correctly ONLY if the proper mast height is input either automatically (by 'checking' the correct ship in the stock rec manual or using WEPS-->Identify Target) or manually.
If by IDing the ship you mean you visually spot it and see that it's an enemy vessel and you do nothing more then yes the stadimeter will be totally whacked.
How you use the stadimeter also affects its accuracy. Where are you putting the first line? Where are you putting the prism split line? If you're not putting the first line directly on the waterline of the unit and/or not putting the second line at exactly the highest point on the unit then the stadimeter reading will be inaccurate. The farther the unit is away from you the harder to get an accurate stadimeter reading (due to the margin of error increase).
I would have an extremely hard time getting an accurate stadimeter reading on a unit at 12k+ distance. It's almost impossible to place the 2 lines correctly at that distance.
Old 11-24-11, 01:16 AM   #8247
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
The stadimeter works correctly ONLY if the proper mast height is input either automatically (by 'checking' the correct ship in the stock rec manual or using WEPS-->Identify Target) or manually.
If by IDing the ship you mean you visually spot it and see that it's an enemy vessel and you do nothing more then yes the stadimeter will be totally whacked.
How you use the stadimeter also affects its accuracy. Where are you putting the first line? Where are you putting the prism split line? If you're not putting the first line directly on the waterline of the unit and/or not putting the second line at exactly the highest point on the unit then the stadimeter reading will be inaccurate. The farther the unit is away from you the harder to get an accurate stadimeter reading (due to the margin of error increase).
I would have an extremely hard time getting an accurate stadimeter reading on a unit at 12k+ distance. It's almost impossible to place the 2 lines correctly at that distance.
Thanks for the quick reply.

That's just it. The ship I am targeting has been appropriately identified (via WEPS) and is at a range of approximately 3000 meters but the stadimeter is saying its 12,000. Something is out of whack but i can't figure out what.
Old 11-24-11, 01:22 AM   #8248
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenew1 View Post
Thank you, Silent Steel! I tried some of your suggestions but unfortunately without success. Thank you TDW for all of your contributions!

Finally I will change my system to Win7 in the near future. Of course, I will keep you informed if I was successful with installing SH5 and your mod.

Until then, keep up the good work! THANK YOU!

Hi again,

Please tell me which of my suggestions you tested without success and where you put it in your list.

Old 11-24-11, 02:41 AM   #8249
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply.

That's just it. The ship I am targeting has been appropriately identified (via WEPS) and is at a range of approximately 3000 meters but the stadimeter is saying its 12,000. Something is out of whack but i can't figure out what.
Open the stock recognition manual and click on the range highlighted text. What does it show the mast height for the unit is when it's been identified by WEPS? Does that mast height agree with the .cfg file for the unit? Which unit are you targeting?
Old 11-24-11, 09:32 AM   #8250
DickDastardly
Swabbie

Downloads: 65
Is there a list of keyboard commands for this mod?

The reason I ask is I believe there's an option to lock the periscope view to the target on it, as was in previous versions. I've tried pressing random keys until I'm a drooling mess, but I'm stumped. Is it something that has to be enabled somewhere in one of the python files? I did a google search and that doesn't help, tho I haven't ploughed through all 501 pages of this thread.

I'm just using the stock NewUIs_TDC_6_8_0_TheDarkWraith and patch 1 and SH5 Enhanced as the UI option.

Other than that, this looks to be an awesome mod
DickDastardly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dbrn, favorite, new ui