SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-09, 01:34 AM   #1
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0
Default Ready for a little more...

Alright I've been playing SH4 for a little while now... started with the floating triangles and point and shoot stuff. Well now I play on 80 realism and have little fear or respect for the japs at this point. Now I've been debating on going all the way here and losing the map contacts for the full realism, but that just seems like such a big wide world of pain I'm not sure. (Obviously I could lose the external view at anytime and still be just fine as I only use it for screenshots.)

OR my other option is to move onto a mod.. which mod would be good for somebody that is not really a HISTORICALLY Accurate type of player but is really in the game for the great single player campaign and just all around tension and drama that comes with being the captain of a submarine during war time! Also I don't need all the flash or eye candy either as I've played around with enviormental effects mod and what have you, although currently I am running bone stock sh4 1.5
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 01:50 AM   #2
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Trigger Maru is pretty good at raising the japanese odds.
The destroyers are very good at finding you and adds a bit of a challenge to the game.
since the only other supermod is Real Fleet Boat, which basically throws ur pc into WW2 and you with it, I think TMO is the best for you!
Its stickied in the Mods workshop
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 07:03 AM   #3
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

RFB is the most realistic of the MOD's out at this time, I play it along with RSRDC, which corrects the convoy realisim and campaign's. And I run Op Monson for the U-Boat side, its fantastic.

this is the read up on RFB. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=125529
Old 07-10-09, 09:07 AM   #4
Brenjen
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 44

I also play RFB & RSRDC with the real US medals fix & I thoroughly enjoy it. My suggestion would be to go ahead & use manual targeting in some practice runs until you get at least one technique down pat; there are a few excellent tutorials around some are video tutorials (I think they are the easiest to understand) that can be found on Youtube & here.

If you already are comfortable with manual targetting, there's nothing between you & a supermod but air & opportunity
Old 07-10-09, 02:54 PM   #5
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38

Ya I have Manual targeting down pat, infact I'm downright cocky with it. The only crutch I use is map contacts... and I tried the game without them and honestly I don't think I can do it, not only that but I have no idea where to began with it. I'm not quite sure how to go about tracking the enemy and if I can't track the enemy well then I have no idea where to put my sub now do I!!
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 10:26 AM   #6
Brenjen
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 44

Yeah well; you might try another thing then - the easy AOB & Reapers "is - was" calculator.

There are plenty of folks who don't use map updates & still attack successfully...I use them because it replicates a plotting crew member which you would have & I don't like the feeling of too much work. I like realism but the capt. was only one man & when you are between two columns of cruisers & carriers the capt. is busy enough lol

I use manual targeting here & there but I'm still pretty green with it. I can hit a 90 deg angle target & that's about it.

When's someone gonna make a mod that allows you to tell the cook to weight his garbage before he throws it overboard? (j/k)