SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-08, 09:42 AM   #76
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 0

I hope this mod is compatilbe when you still have gwx version 1.04 because i want to finish my career before i update up to gwx 2.1

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 11:24 AM   #77
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichso
I recently tested the lastest version of Racerboy's exhaust smoke mod. The smoke was hardly to be seen under most speed settings. Only when going at flank speed there was a black cloud of smoke. And even that wasn't too thick or to big to make the whole thing look unrealistic.

I think both mods would give some great looks to the game.

Considering performance though, the many particle effects may produce a noticeable workload. On the open ocean I rarely have any problems, and my PC is quite old now (Athlon XP 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM and a Radeon 9800 Card ).
But when encountering convoys or leaving/entering the home port, this might get a little bit too much at times ^^.

The video looks very nice, btw.
Is the issue of the water streams not stopping to flow fixed by now ?
It looks like they are flowing for a little while and then stopping until the next wave washes over the deck.
Also if your familiar with Minitweaker you can change the values of smoke density. You can change alot to make it more realistic. But his default setting is fine. I like it give the game more feel to the game even if its not a 100% real.
Old 03-25-08, 12:07 PM   #78
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Hi mates,
I just arrived at my house again and will start to post replies. And thanks for the comments about the mod. Yet today at night I will post a link for the first complete uboat, the Type IXD2, and then you will see it in action on your PC! itīs much better than the youtube video!

@Wolfehunter: i will reply your PM soon.

@Jimbuna: in my tweaked version of RB's exaust the smoke is very tin (much more than in his last work on the matter) and very realistic. You will see! Anyway is easy to not use the exaust if someone really donīt want it.

@PT: Fala Parceiro!!! Hello mate! We are very sad about yours problems with your PC and i wish that you get a powerful one soon! And thanks by your comments on youtube mate! the type VIIC/B will be the next!

@oscar: yes, this mod is actually compatible with GWX1.03 and GWX 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichso
The video looks very nice, btw.
Is the issue of the water streams not stopping to flow fixed by now ?
It looks like they are flowing for a little while and then stopping until the next wave washes over the deck.
@ichso: No, the "water stream not stopping" isnīt fixed and I have doubt if it will (lack of adequate controller on Sh3)...but yes, they seems to work as in RL anyway...this behaviour was achieved with some tricks here and there to simulate the correct effect as you can see on the video.
Old 03-25-08, 12:35 PM   #79
GoldenEagle8
Engineer

Downloads: 4

WOW! I cant wait for this to be downloadable!! This looks great!!

one question though? would it be possible to have water run off the connig tower deck and over the side when the boat surfaces?:hmm: that would be really cool!

"YES! Everything I do is a surprise! EVEN TO ME!"
"Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made." ~Otto von Bismarck
"I thought so little, they rewarded me by making me the ruler of the Queen's Navy." ~Sir Joseph Porter (HMS Pinafore)
GoldenEagle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 12:36 PM   #80
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
I just took a look at all files for a conning tower (dat, val, zon, sim and cam) and I didnīt find any useful control there. Even in the .val file. Perhaps this Conning tower splash use another specific way to generate that effect?:hmm:
damn..:hmm: it maybe duplicates the effect tied to the hull model files bow ..for the bow spray...perhaps there is some "link" reference in that the conning tower is classified as having a "collision box" with the ocean.. i was wondering last night wether the conning tower could be invisibily extended in the model file to add small extra boxes along the hull side that duplicated the bow spray effect ...it may be be that small transparent boxes could be added to the tower model file placed to represent the drain areas...
probably miles of the plot ..but on the other hand having water draining off the back of the conning tower when the spray effect was triggered would also look pretty good!...what about the wake effect ..maybe the periscope wake trigger..they are speed related..
keep up the good work...i'd be very happy with just what you have allready done here! (havent seen the video sorry i'm on a modem) but the screen shots look perfect to me

can i ask a question whilst i'm here??
the "concussion" effect tied to the conning tower...the one which causes the screen to shake and blur when the tower takes a cannon shell hit...is that in any way transferableto the main hull...as having that effect (sounds and all) trigger when a DC hits the hull or close by would be stunning...have you come across the trigger for that any where?
CB..,
Like i said I didnīt found any trigger/controller until now that could be usefull for "the water stream always draining" issue. But i have hope that Privateer will find one (or one way).

About that shake effect...hummm...i will leave it for my next research (next week?) but letīs continue to talk about it...Iīm sure that early or late we will find something on the matter.
Old 03-25-08, 12:41 PM   #81
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle8
WOW! I cant wait for this to be downloadable!! This looks great!!

one question though? would it be possible to have water run off the connig tower deck and over the side when the boat surfaces?:hmm: that would be really cool!
Itīs possible and itīs easy...but we have one problem that is being discussed here: we donīt have the trigger to just start the water stream after a specific event like emerge, etc. As it is now it will continue to drain all the time, since you start the patrol. If we find the trigger/controller, than the mod could be much better.
Old 03-25-08, 12:46 PM   #82
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Your work Rubini is excellent as usual.

Can hardly wait till this is available.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 12:52 PM   #83
mengle
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 127

trigger or no trigger, i watch the video on youtube and it is verry wel done
mengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 01:28 PM   #84
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Downloads: 426
The VIDIO ist FANTASTIC - RUBINI (Sea Lord) is FANTASTIC ,PRIVATEER is FANTASTIC
You ALL are FANTASTIC - You make me so happy !!! That is a MEGA MOD !!!!
GREAT WORK !!!
Tomi_099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 01:28 PM   #85
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Well done Rubini

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 01:34 PM   #86
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi_099
The VIDIO ist FANTASTIC - RUBINI (Sea Lord) is FANTASTIC ,PRIVATEER is FANTASTIC
You ALL are FANTASTIC - You make me so happy !!! That is a MEGA MOD !!!!
GREAT WORK !!!
Thanks mate! I will be very happy to make the same with your VIID as soon I finished the "stock" uboats. And iīm sure that Privateer will give us some little toys to make this mod yet better.
Old 03-25-08, 01:54 PM   #87
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
CB..,
Like i said I didnīt found any trigger/controller until now that could be usefull for "the water stream always draining" issue. But i have hope that Privateer will find one (or one way).

About that shake effect...hummm...i will leave it for my next research (next week?) but letīs continue to talk about it...Iīm sure that early or late we will find something on the matter.
roger that

the concussion/shake effect does actualy work whilst submerged and does respond to DC explosions close to the conning tower (very close tho)
so the basics are there....i did mess around with the zones.cfg and DC explosive radius a long while back and managed to get it to work with those two edits...BUT the amount of times that a DC hit close enough to the conning tower to trigger the effect was virtualy nil in normal gameplay

the real joy comes from the fact that the screen shake and blurred vission and sound effects that come with it ARE visable from the interior of the Uboat .so you get the same effects as on the bridge whilst in the command room interior...and my goodness do you jump out of your skin when it does actualy happen LOL

another side effect of it is that you are unable to issue comands etc or navigate thru the sub easily whilst the effect lasts (just the same as when a shell hits on the bridge) so that it not only has huge dramatic effect , it also has a genuine concussive effect on your ability to command the boat...now then if this was triggered every time a DC hit close by the sub as a whole AND if it were possible to also trigger the "near crush depth" effects to co-incide with the concussive effects such as the lights blinking on and off and dials breaking etc etc then the overall experience of a close hit by a DC would be extreme to say the least..

boat tipping from side to side
lights going out
dails breaking
pipes bursting
the concussive "BLANG" noise
screen shake and blur
player is briefly incapacitated and cannot really control the boat
crew shouting distorted by the sound "blur"
damage reports etc as above

very very effective
hope you can crack it.. bit beyond my editing skills- more's the pity- but can't help but see the impact it would have on the gameplay and dare i say it realism too? (as that does seem to be an issue)

:hmm:
thanks for looking into it..

http://www.ebort2.co.uk/

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B.Yeats

Last edited by CB..; 03-25-08 at 02:05 PM.
CB.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 07:25 PM   #88
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

First post updated with the link for download! Go!
Old 03-25-08, 07:47 PM   #89
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice work on the release, I love this effect in SH4, never thought I would see it here,
folks will like this big time

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 07:50 PM   #90
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 57

It's nearly 02:00 o'clock in the morning and I was just about to go to bed when I read that the first version of this mod ist out.

So thanks to you, Rubini, I will stay up a half an hour longer :hmm:
ichso is offline   Reply With Quote