Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-19, 10:31 AM   #1
Funki83
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Newbie confused

Hey all,

first i got to say i never wanted to buy sh5 after this Reviews, but for 4€ i gave it a try.

I was a big SH3 fan,..... damn UBI Soft ruined this game.

i have some Questions i hope u can help me with.
i directly installed TWOS after install ( Steam Version) . Works great so far.

Question 1: is it possible to see Ship names or plane types on Nav map.

like it was in SH3 , where u could see the Name of These famous Ships .

This morning i saw a heavy Cruiser ( maybe Hipper) and on the first Mission i saw a destroyer and a battleship ( guess it is the Schleswig Holstein) . Should be cause it was the 1st Sept 39.

but i cant find any Info About .

2nd Question so far is. the first Matches i couldnt hit anything with torps. just after using those silly number stuff. I was just able to see 1 Video on YouTube , but without any description what is the sense of this 1,2 and 3. How do i even hit over 1500m cause the u cant get the number over the other?. I found a tutorial of the Manual Torpedo aim. But thats way to much for the beginning. like i said im used to SH3. But i am totally confused.

3. Question. i mad that Baltic sea Mission, and returned to Kiel on 3rd Sept.

Next Mission is About to be the same? After Docking i ran to this guy and asked for my next Mission and Nothing changed.

im thankfull for any help.
Funki83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-19, 10:51 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Funki83!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-19, 12:59 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Funki83
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

You cannot see the ship names in the map.
You can identify it in the periscope view and of course by using your officer to identify the target even if using AUTO TDC.
I suggest that you open up the Options File Editor Viewer (OFEV) which you should have a desktop shortcut which was installed there by the TWoS installation
You need to go specifically to the Scopes Tab where you will find 2 useful patches you can enable.
The Baltic Operation end date is September 4th which means if you dock before this date you will not be able to see the next mission.
What you need to do is load a previous save where you are at sea.
On the bridge use the ESC key and go to Save Game and delete the games in front of the one you are using.
Now Resume.
There is a difference of 1 hour between GMT/Stopwatch and Nautical Time.
You will see the next mission appear on your navigation map at 00.00 but your GMT/Stopwatch time will show 23.00.
Once this shows 00.00 September 5th you can end the patrol.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-19, 01:41 PM   #4
Funki83
Nub

oh, thanks.

that helped me alot
Old 03-25-19, 06:44 PM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Hi Funkie,
glad you are also a SH3 fan, but with SH5+TWOS I think you have the best sub sim available at this time

For your 3):
Missions and side-missions (secondary missions) are purely time dependant, so when you go out on patrol again they may still be offered to you, but will vanish at some precise date and be replaced by other ones. All this is not immediately visible on the Briefing map when you talk to the BDU officer, but will always appear on your tactical map during patrol. Also keep attention to your logbook and radio messages.

Have fun!
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-19, 07:24 AM   #6
Funki83
Nub

So it doesnt matter what mission i get from that officer?

I currently made that Baltic mission which said its completed ingame.
Then i returned to Kiel after 4 or 5th Sept to have the next mission available.

Ok so far.

then i choose the only mission avaible from that Officer at Base , its that east british coast mission. Sorry i put my version to german.

Then i upgraded some stuff on my sub and started.

Now its end of Sept. maybe early Oct. and i have 2 other missions also available. But i choosed this british east coast mission which is available till December, now i see that scapa Flow mission is available till mid October.

This is kinda confusing me.

I remember from SH3 that Scapa Flow is alot of fun, cause british DD are not that good like in 41 or later and u were able to sink a BB.

Dont know how this is in SH5.

So how to move on? Should i ignore my orders and move to Scapa Flow were i have 14 days to go to end this mission.

After leaving my career it also sais Baltic mission not completed ( which was).

Or is this mission stuff broken at all and i have to do what i like to?

btw, i have tried to identify the ships this game, with Periskop and help of this officer. But all i got is its a "unknown ship" maybe its says its a freighter, or tanker or something else. Is that all u can do or did i miss something? Cause how to identify if its the blücher or the hipper which crossed my way? i saw u could click on that shiptype to identify by hull or chmney.

but thx for your help so far
Old 03-26-19, 08:43 AM   #7
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

IIRC, TWoS by default disables officer's ability to instantly identify ship for you, but there's an optional addon you can enable in JGSME ("Automatic Ship Recognition" or something like this) included in TWoS intallation.

As for missions - not broken, but no longer compulsory. Tonnage sunk is now more important in game, though missions give you promotion points to advance your crew's abilities.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-19, 09:05 AM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Yep, I have still an earlier version of TWOS installed, if the newest version didn't change it, then it's not important which mission you accept at the BDU Officer, you can also not accept any mission at all and go on patrol, what counts is your tonnage sunk. But by going to an area where a mission happens, you increase your chance to encounter a convoy, a warship etc.
Old 03-26-19, 09:48 AM   #9
Funki83
Nub

ah ok,

then i go for scapa flow before this disappears. I might find a BB to sink.

Does upgrading your Sub increase the " Docking time".?
guess it did in SH3 . i Need to do a new run to test it, but im currently at work^^
Old 03-26-19, 12:51 PM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

You can use KSDCommander to have control over your docking time (and other stuff).
Old 03-26-19, 03:17 PM   #11
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funki83 View Post

then i choose the only mission avaible from that Officer at Base , its that east british coast mission. Sorry i put my version to german.

Then i upgraded some stuff on my sub and started.

Now its end of Sept. maybe early Oct. and i have 2 other missions also available. But i choosed this british east coast mission which is available till December, now i see that scapa Flow mission is available till mid October.

This is kinda confusing me.

I remember from SH3 that Scapa Flow is alot of fun, cause british DD are not that good like in 41 or later and u were able to sink a BB.

Dont know how this is in SH5.

So how to move on? Should i ignore my orders and move to Scapa Flow were i have 14 days to go to end this mission.

After leaving my career it also sais Baltic mission not completed ( which was).

Or is this mission stuff broken at all and i have to do what i like to?

but thx for your help so far
The mission dates are kinda screwed up for Scapa use KSD or Change number of days in bunker mod to work around it. Your not missing much tho Scapa mission is a bit lame firing at static targets. Also a lot of TC1 due to shallow waters makes it a bit of a drag.
Old 03-26-19, 03:59 PM   #12
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

I have to disagree with you Cyborg.

The Scapa flow mission is a great mission for a new guys to learn control of their ship.

Also teaches periscope discipline, speed control, timing, mine evasion, dead reckoning, and accomplishing an awesome historical mission!

It’s my favorite. Plus sinking all that tonnage gives you a lot of points for your crew!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-19, 11:42 AM   #13
anluprilu
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Default Other Newbie

Hi all
I'm an old official of Silent Service (after that it was named Silent Hunter)
I have read all the other task and I will add one more if you allowed me.
In the online game of Silent Hunter 5 can you add your own mods? where?
I would like to buy the REAL DVD game but I can't find it all are online versions of SH5.
Thanks in advance
anluprilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-19, 12:01 PM   #14
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > anluprilu
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-19, 04:35 PM   #15
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by anluprilu View Post
Hi all
I'm an old official of Silent Service (after that it was named Silent Hunter)
I have read all the other task and I will add one more if you allowed me.
In the online game of Silent Hunter 5 can you add your own mods? where?
I would like to buy the REAL DVD game but I can't find it all are online versions of SH5.
Thanks in advance
Of course it's possible to add mods to SH5. However the situation is that the stock game is so heavily bugged and unfunctional that with time ongoing, tons, and tons of mods have already been done and published to correct this. The megamod TWOS is a sort of synthesis, including all these important mods and makes the game near perfect now. Building from that and going beyond is a tremendous and almost impossible work IMO, with 'adding your own mods' this will easily break the game and make it unplayable, but feel free to try

Currently I think that a lot of work is done for introducing the type IX submarine in the game, that's the only mod I think is really pending for now, a work in progress that you can follow by reading the Mod Section of SH5. Else, I just think that 'almost everything' is already successfully modded where possible. For a quick overview of available mods of SH5 - and other sub sims - it's best to look and read in the Download section of Subsim.com, they are not only there for downloading but also have in-depth descriptions most of the time.

The only place to find the SH5 original Ubisoft DVD is to buy it on e-Bay from someone else. I've never seen it on Amazon, I have one and heck no, I won't sell it...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 03-29-19 at 04:54 PM.