Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-19, 09:11 AM   #1
agathosdaimon
Planesman

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0
Default Great Naval Battles 2 campaign question

HI!
I am just playing the full Guadalcanal campaign of GNB2 and am just wondering if anyone here can tell me what i am supposed to do with the troop transports that are in teh taskforce i have positioned near Hendersons Field at the start.

My first thought is that i have to send the troops to henderson field to fill its troop capacity, but there is no way i can unload ships at henderson field as it doesnt seem that it is a base for ships at all - and also my task forces are all looking like they will run out of fuel - where do i get more fuel from? the only place i can think of it the airbase down at Espiritu Santo which is a long way away at teh botton right map corner, though my ships will run out of fuel before they reach it - so i am at a losse to explain

could anyone here help me with this at all?
agathosdaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 10:25 AM   #2
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

It's been ages since I played GNB2, but I think the system is the same as GNB3 which I play every now and then.

To unload transports put the last waypoint on top of the cross of the base where you want them to. Do it with maximum zoom.

And yes, US forces reload fuel at Espiritu Santo. It's a port, not only an airfield. Order your TF to return to base and it will make way for Espiritu Santo. When TF reaches the base, all ships are docked and you can refuel them (also repair, or load troops and/or supplies).
Old 06-10-19, 01:45 AM   #3
agathosdaimon
Planesman

okay thanks for the replies - i will have to make a max zoom to see where the "cross" is for henderson field,
Old 06-10-19, 09:58 AM   #4
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

Before you order them away, make sure that they are empty of troops and supplies. Off hand I believe that they are still unloading when the game starts and it should take about six-hours before they can move.

-C

Edit: mis-understood the question. Use the supply run mission, a target window will open and select Henderson Field as your objective. The computer will auto-plot directly to the cross icon. Upon arriving, set TF speed to zero and the unloading will begin shortly after.
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 07:26 PM   #5
agathosdaimon
Planesman

thanks i got it sorted - i did move the tf at the start and broke the unloading procedure so i didnt know how to restart it, but once i directed it back to the x for henderson field, it started and completed and now i have sent it back to espiritu for resupplying

so far things are getting interesting - i have troops from henderson attacking guadalcanal and the Betty's have crippled a few of my ships and destroyed all but one propellor of my CV Wasp -

i wasnt sure how much fuel it would take to get ships back to espiritu to refuel so i have sent off all but one TF with the Wasp limping behind but now it is night on August 8 and the IJN ships have started to appear and i have only one tf of some cruisers and DDs and BB North Carolina and i am not sure how this is going to go for me given the IJN i guessing will have better night fighting abilities - assuming thats modelled in the game?

taking hits, they are all firing on my BB - what do i do? do stay and fight do i try and get closer or do i flee also and wait for all teh other TFs to come back and the reinforcments in later days and weeks?

oh i forgot i hae left CV Enterprise there too but its useless at night and now i have decided to send it south and leave behind the cruisers and BB to keep teh IJN at bay hopefully no others turn up for now

gnb guad1.jpg

gnb guad2.jpg

Last edited by agathosdaimon; 06-10-19 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 09:43 PM   #6
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

I have a Japanese campaign on the go right now but there are some strategic considerations for the a US Player in the long campaign.

- You start out strong but the Japanese will soon get carrier parity and surface ship superiority. Avoid losses early and use Henderson as the unsinkable aircraft carrier that it was. Transfer aircraft from Espititu Santo, they will be replaced at one per day there. Any attack or fighter capability not being used at Henderson is wasted. Trust the Marines to defend and play the long game.

- Attrition is your friend, so avoid knife-fights in the Slot unless you can score those big Japanese seaplane carriers. These make awesome transports for the IJN as they're fast and sinking them helps slow down the reinforcement of the Island.

- Protect your transports at all costs. One US transport carries far more troops and supplies than a flotilla of IJN destroyers.

- Don't try to win the battle until November or December. Time is on your side, particularly if you can effectively blockade Guadalcanal. Let the Marines carry the combat burden while the Navy provides the support and prevents the IJN from doing the same.

The game play in GNB2 is actually pretty deep and a reasonable reflection of the real situation. Am just reading Hornfischer's Neptune's Inferno about the campaign.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote