SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-16, 05:34 AM   #1
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default Allied radar in June, 1940?

Just started the 7th patrol, mid June 1940 and I am close to the eastern shores of northern England. Time of day around 1400 hours, clear skies and excellent visibility. Was able to spot a ship at almost 15000 meters.

Here is what puzzles me.

I got the warning "Enemy is engaging us" and "We are under attack" so I quickly asked the watch officer about closest sight. He reported no ships in sight. I scanned the horizon using the binoculars but nothing showed up, not even the slightest trace of smoke. Still getting the warning that we were under attack.

Dove to periscope depth and using the hydrophone the sound guy picked up nothing but I could hear the ever so faint sound of something very far away.

TC for 30 minutes worth then the sound guy reports incoming, traveling at medium speed. Sound indicates small ship or boat. After another 10 minutes I get an armed trawler in view heading for us. Getting closer he then turned away, now following a somewhat parallell course.

What could possibly have caused an armed trawler to spot me at more than 16 km away, more like 20+ km? Do they have radar this early? And... do armed trawlers have radar too?

I am stumped at the moment. Nothing else was heard on the hydrophone but that one ship and it was at very long range when I heard it before the sound guy picked it up.

No airplanes were spotted or reported.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-16, 05:57 AM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

I have crossed this kind of ship on occasion. I think it's a bug. It's rare!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-16, 06:06 AM   #3
Mittelwaechter
The Old Man

Downloads: 35

Maybe Bernard fried some Krapfen (Berliner; kind of Donut)?

10 happy wolves rear 90 blinded, ensnared sheep. 90 happy sheep banish the wolves.

Arrest the 1% - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ6hg1oNeGE
Mittelwaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-16, 06:42 AM   #4
Von Due
Sea Lord

Thank the alrighty allmighty I'm not alone seeing this. A bug? In SH3? Yeah that would definitely be a bug I say. Quite disturbing though. Now I can't really rely on anything. If that guy really was attacking me from something like 20 km away then really all bets are off as to what the allied are capable of. Next is what? A Death Star coming at me?

And I will have a stern talk with the boat's chef. No more hot food for the boys until I have this sorted.

Anyway, this is quite a serious bug. Not technically serious but gameplay wise it is. If the game as a game master is telling the game as your AI opponent where you are exactly, then that is one huge flaw in the game, a pretty monumental bug.
Old 05-09-16, 08:00 AM   #5
Mittelwaechter
The Old Man

As bstanko6 stated, it happens but it's not common. I ran into this two or three times in 10 years. I played a lot. So don't worry - be happy.

10 happy wolves rear 90 blinded, ensnared sheep. 90 happy sheep banish the wolves.

Old 05-09-16, 08:13 AM   #6
Von Due
Sea Lord

I suppose I could role play it so that it was the British national long distance swimming champion who spotted me on one of his daily training swims. Alternatively, concidering the shallow water and the proximity to land and enemy patrolling ships, that the nerves of the lookouts were a bit shall we say, frayed? Last option would actually be a bit of fun to imagine Ubi modelled the crew's psychological state.

Nervous wrecks or not, right now I'm waiting for this blasted merchant to sink. Took one nasty hit to her boiler room, during a storm but she is still afloat. Hopefully not for much longer. I'd rather not spend another eel on a 4000 tonner, cheapskate me.
Old 05-09-16, 01:45 PM   #7
Mittelwaechter
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
... concidering the shallow water and the proximity to land and enemy patrolling ships...
An undetected aircraft/submarine and a shore battery over the horizon make a nice combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
Nervous wrecks or not, right now I'm waiting for this blasted merchant to sink. Took one nasty hit to her boiler room, during a storm but she is still afloat. Hopefully not for much longer. I'd rather not spend another eel on a 4000 tonner, cheapskate me.
Whatever is worth an eel is worth a second one.

Bernard fills Krapfen with marmelade - and some with hot mustard as a surprise.
Other fillings only for Fasching (Carnival).
http://12tomatoes.com/german-doughnu...raspberry-jam/