Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-19, 05:56 PM   #9526
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I see that useless PM is now putting all the blame on Parliament, sounds like Hitler blaming his generals for losing the war. Sounds to me she will not take her share of the blame, worst PM to date beating Gordon Brown hands down.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 03-20-19, 06:13 PM   #9527
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Yes there are so many that promise a lot but deliver nothing!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online  
Old 03-21-19, 05:57 AM   #9528
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
I see that useless PM is now putting all the blame on Parliament, sounds like Hitler blaming his generals for losing the war. Sounds to me she will not take her share of the blame, worst PM to date beating Gordon Brown hands down.
Nobody will ever beat Mr Foot.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-21-19, 06:01 AM   #9529
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
EU rejects May's request for three-month delay.

The European Union is poised to take control of Britain’s exit by rejecting Theresa May’s request for a three-month delay and setting a new withdrawal date of no later than 22 May.

The prime minister is seeking an extension of the negotiating period to 30 June to allow the necessary legislation to be passed should she finally get MPs to back her deal next week.

But EU ambassadors at a meeting late on Wednesday night agreed that the risks of having the UK as a member state beyond 23 May, when European elections are due, were too high.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...id=mailsignout
Well, there it is folks...game set and match.

I should imagine this will end Mays political career and bring about a revocation of Article 50.

The root problem of all this was Mays willingness to sign a surrender document!!

Old 03-21-19, 06:31 AM   #9530
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Old 03-21-19, 06:38 AM   #9531
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The root problem of all this was Mays willingness to sign a surrender document!!

This.

Either done intentionally, then its conspiracy against the people's vote. Or done unaware, then it qualifies for the stupidiest act of a PM since Blair signed in for the war2003.
Old 03-21-19, 06:40 AM   #9532
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-21-19, 10:23 AM   #9533
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
No, the root problem was the side that had less pull overestimated their prospects right from the start.
Old 03-21-19, 11:13 AM   #9534
STEED
Lucky Jack

It could be a interesting evening from 6pm onwards but I'm not holding my breath.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 03-21-19, 11:40 AM   #9535
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
It could be a interesting evening from 6pm onwards
I doubt you will find anyone in Brussel EU headquarters sharing that assessment.

China. Trumponomics. FIAT money crisis. Russia. Mass migration. All would need getting thought about, and planned for.

Instead: Brexit, Brexit, Brexit, and after that: Brexit, and more Brexit.
Old 03-21-19, 12:03 PM   #9536
STEED
Lucky Jack

BREAKING NEWS

EU AGREES DRAFT EXTENSION TO MAY 27TH IF PM MAY's BILL GOES THOUGH PARLIAMENT.

https://news.sky.com/story/live-may-...g-mps-11671443

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47648565

Old 03-21-19, 01:32 PM   #9537
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Is this good or bad? I see a lot of panic here ... I hate to bring up the G word, but God certainly knows which side he is on

https://news.yahoo.com/million-sign-...175222366.html

Quote:
London (AFP) - More than a million people have signed an online petition asking the British government to stop Brexit within 214 hours, briefly crashing the site Thursday during a surge in support.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 03-21-19, 01:45 PM   #9538
Skybird
Soaring

The EU is not as adamant as it seems. German main channel TV news just said that if the deal gets rejected in third attempt, they would hold another Brexit summit next week and then decide that they will offer the UK a longterm delay, I assume of several years, so that no no-deal- Brexit happens. And it also means the Ul stays as member of the EU until... well, until the end of time, it seems.

When Western diplomats talk of ultimatums, I just must break out in laughter.

Lets face it, either the UK

1. gets negotiated into eternity and all the time stays as member of the EU, or

2. it accepts the surrender deal and stays in the customs union and having no rights to negotiate its own independent trade agreements with other non-EU nations and thus it would be a vasall of the EU once the Backstop has been activated, needing to obey but having no say, or

3. it withdraws the Brexit and stays in the EU.

You are ours, from then until eternity!

Old 03-21-19, 03:22 PM   #9539
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I still say it should have been the other way around.

First the country leave the EU, thereafter they can discuss further agreement and other things.

Markus
Old 03-21-19, 04:37 PM   #9540
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I still say it should have been the other way around.

First the country leave the EU, thereafter they can discuss further agreement and other things.

Markus
That ignore sone thing, and that is that past decisions and investements and costs were shared and co-authorised by British governments. In parts these need to be "decluttered" again. In oarts the negotiatiosn about the soc-alled divorce bill, the amount of money Londown shoudl pay to thge Eu in case of a with-deal Brexit, was about that. Whether the numbers given by both sides were justfiied or not, is another thing - that also had to be talked about.

The problem of the possibility of a Backstop called by the EU and then maintained forever during which the UK must obey the custom union'S rules, has no say on these things, must obey certani EU regulations and laws and , most importantly, is not allowed to negotiate new economic deals with non-EU actors, touches upon what you say. And you see what mess comes from it. The EU making promises of non-binding, legally irrelevant meaning that it mans it well and will not hurt the UK and will be constructive on an ending of a Backstop period, means nothing since only what can be sued for at court and legally enforced, is of relevance. The EU managed to get this trump card, and May was retarded enough to sign and accept it. Now that it holds this trunmp card, the EU will not voluntarily give it up again. And why should it? The EU has the UK by its balls, and has its iron fists around the UK's throat as well. Better the negotiation game could not have gone for the EU, it scored on all really important issues and scored total defeat of he UK over the Backstop rule when May signed it.

There is no "compromise" possible. The EU cannot afford to allow London the final word on when a triggered Backstop period shall end, and the EU cannot accept a fixed timeframe for any triggered Backstop as well, because then London would have per se the option to just sit it out, and after that walk away happily. London however cannot accept that the EU can hold a knife at the UK's throat forever and keep it in Backstop custody forever, blocking its sovereignty and constantly threatening its most vital survival interests of making new trade deals outside a customs union. Both poositions are totally, absolutely irreconcilable. One side will loose all over this, and the other side will win all over this. There is no "compromise" imaginable, one side will end up holding the final, ultimate trump, the other side will lose its cause.

I realised late the importance of the Irish question, since I were not so familiar with the general matter of Northern Ireland two years ago. But when it finally dawned on me, I immediately understood that this issue had all potential to make any negotiations unneeded and why a hard Brexit should have been the only option taken serious by London. Instead, one has choosen to endlessly deny reality. And so here we are where we are now. And it seems the reality denial continues.

If Brexit should have any meaning of the original idea, Londown cannot and never should accepot the Backstop rule being in hands of the EU. Either you are about your sovereignty, or you are not.

And one thign also should be understood. The past going of procedures has made the UK many enemie in the EU. It will not be forgotten, and not easiyl forgiven even if London cancels Brexit alltogether. The Britons will remain to be the running joke inside the EU for many years to come. If they cancel brexit now, they tell somehtign about themselves by that, sicne they already have pushed this far. And what it says about them then is really nothing I would consider to be a compliment of respectability. They have oushed too far, now they have to finish the journey, no matter the outcome. That they have wasted most of the past 24 months with dreaming only, certainly does not help to provide them with a soft ride. They were in for a rough ride form beginning on - but they did their best to make it even much rougher than originally was needed. This infantile daydreaming is what stunned me more in all this than anything else. And they still do not stop! Thats not the Britain that I expected two years ago. Not even a shadow of it. I certainly lost quite some illusions myself, too - and I thought that I do not have many political illusions left.

Tags
british, politics