SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-09, 07:04 AM   #1
Captain Birdseye
Watch Officer

Location: Sat behind my desk at BdU tapping away on my Enigma machine.
Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo Information

Hi chaps,

Does anyone know the maximum ranges for every available SHIII torpedo during the war?

Thanks.
Captain Birdseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 10:22 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Are we talking stock/vanilla or GWX or another mod here?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 04:02 PM   #3
Captain Birdseye
Watch Officer

Hi Jim,

I'm talking about GWX3.0

I just noticed when bringing up the loadout panel, that I can select the torp and that gives me the maximum range.

I use mainly TIII torps and was aiming at a Whale Factory Ship at about 4700m with a AOB of around 20 degrees.

What I found was, after firing at least 4 torps, only 2 were sucessful after half way, and none managed to hit the target.

What's going on? The supplies to/from Murmansk are getting through and i'll be posted to the Eastern Front if I don't shape up soon
Old 06-07-09, 04:11 PM   #4
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Birdseye View Post
What's going on? The supplies to/from Murmansk are getting through and i'll be posted to the Eastern Front if I don't shape up soon
Yes, but for U-Boat captains, the eastern front is the Black Sea. Lots of inept Red Navy destroyers to pick on even if you do get demoted to a Type II.
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 04:26 PM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The further away you are from the target, the greater the margin of error will be magnified.

Try firing from a maximum distance of 3000m.

For information on torpedo ranges in GWX3.0 consult the manual (page 96 onwards).

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 11:55 PM   #6
BasilY
Weps

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Hi Jim,

I'm talking about GWX3.0

I use mainly TIII torps and was aiming at a Whale Factory Ship at about 4700m with a AOB of around 20 degrees.
I assume the target is approaching you with AOB of 20 Degrees. That will be TOO narrow. depending on the speed of the target, your impact angle could be as shallow as 30 degrees or less. At that angle, your impact pistons could fail you.

Even If you are using magnetic firing piston (Which I rarely do), a 20 Degree AOB is still very problematic. If you remember some general trigonometry concepts, while aiming with a small AOB, a small variation could produce wide misses. At a shallow AOB, the target is also presenting a smaller profile for you to hit.

So my advise to you in a similar sistuation is to wait until you have a AOB of 45 degree or more before firing. So you will ,1) be closer to the target (or rather, the target will be closer to you.) 2) hit the target, and 3)ignite the torpedo more consistantly. Try using manual targeting if you are not already doing so. It will help you better visualize the path and impact point of the torpedo.

I always use manual targeting, and rarely fire at a target with AOB of 45 or less. Misses are to be expected. But if you are a real uboat captain on his first outing facing such a juicy target, you could also fire all 4 torps at this valuable target in a wide arc to insure a hit (and kill).

Good luck on your next outing.
BasilY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 05:59 AM   #7
Captain Birdseye
Watch Officer

Thanks BasilY.

I used to fire torpedos with a gyroangle of no more then 5 degrees.

That was until I found the function where my WO would find a solution to target for me, and I could fire from alsorts of angles.

I suppose it's time to revert to the old way.
Old 06-09-09, 10:41 AM   #8
BasilY
Weps

Quote:
Thanks BasilY.

I used to fire torpedos with a gyroangle of no more then 5 degrees.

That was until I found the function where my WO would find a solution to target for me, and I could fire from alsorts of angles.

I suppose it's time to revert to the old way.
There is a good reason why your WO hasn't made captain yet.
Old 06-09-09, 11:23 AM   #9
BasilY
Weps

BTW, I personally preferred firing at a target with a AOB around 60 (55-70). Which if I missed I usually have time enough for a second shot.

That's just me.
Old 06-09-09, 02:50 PM   #10
Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 163

Just my little contribution to the discussion.

I almost always fire from 90 deg parallel shots when matched at 270,or 90 degrees,from a mix of ranges depending on light and visibility.

During night time I will attempt a surface attack at between 2000-2500m depending on immediate visibility conditions.As a rule just as soon as the target is becoming visible in the binoculars.This all changes though against radar equipped vessels,obviously.

Daylight,usually submerged at close range,about 1000m,perpendicular.

If in VERY rough weather,and I feel it important to attack even in these conditions,I will try and get to min range,300-500m from the target,perpendicular,and fire a straight run,impact,shallow depth,without TDC data,allowing for more flexibility due to the difficulty in gathering accurate speed data in such conditions.A major change with GWX over the stock game,and actually,its better that way,forcing me to spend longer observing my target and preparing for the attack.I will also try and set the attack up for night,due to the bobbing up and down exposing the UBoat.

The only time I will attempt to fire at angles other than 90,270 or 0 is when involved in a 'running fight' against a target that is faster than usual,or even almost as fast as me.In that case I will try to get to about AOB 240 or 120 and fire with a magnetic tip.This however is a very rare attack scenario for me,instead preferring the above methods.

Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 03:03 PM   #11
Captain Birdseye
Watch Officer

Thanks for the interesting theories and personal tastes gentlemen...

I guess i'll have to try these when i get lucky, as any time I seem to spot a nice juicy merchant, along comes a DD to spoil my fun