Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-14-17, 10:17 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Commenting platform Disqus bought by big data harvester Zeta Global

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/12/06/di...m-zeta-global/

Disqus already have had two major security breaches in past years, in which dozens of millions of user-related data were stolen, 17 million in the second oen alone. So much for their security.

It is crystal clear that privacy-protection is none of Zeta's goals, but buying those user data.

Read my current sig.
Old 12-14-17, 10:26 AM   #2
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I used to post comments bottom of news stories on a site before they got the huff and started removing comments like those against Win10 and now they pulled the plug outright now. I logged in via Disqus with a throw away email address, not bothered about this news as that is all long ago now. Just to add no they never got any other true info off me.

Sky, I said it many years ago people's personal information is the new currency and its getting harder and harder to keep it. The future is not bright its dark and its no joke.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 12:18 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
I used to post comments bottom of news stories on a site before they got the huff and started removing comments like those against Win10 and now they pulled the plug outright now. I logged in via Disqus with a throw away email address, not bothered about this news as that is all long ago now. Just to add no they never got any other true info off me.

Sky, I said it many years ago people's personal information is the new currency and its getting harder and harder to keep it. The future is not bright its dark and its no joke.
Whom you are telling! Not for no reason I run two systems, one with W10 just for launching games and nothing else, and the other with Linux for email, surfing, text- and photo-editing. Even text and picture data I no longer keep on an internal HD, but on sticks which I remove when not needed. "Services" - what a joke in itself this term has become - like FB and Twitter and so forth I avoid completely.

Now I find Oculus and Virtual Desktop always running in the background, always doing something, always writing to HD, and always sending something to the web. Even when via tool I switch Oculus Home off, and turn down VD - even then VD maintains a memory presence, and does something that could not be identified. Not to mention that Oculus sensors have been demonstrated to be normal webcams with IR-enhancements that could be used for ordinary image collection, and the mike on the Oculus also always seems to be on. There is a reason why Facebook has bought Oculus, and I think when we find out then we will not like it. Really threatenign it becomes when govenr,ments will demand people to actively maintaion electronic personalities for tax accounts and state nbusienss services. Then you get forced by law to expose your most vital interests to the threats of the web and the exploitation by big business. And they even have the nerve to tell you that this is "progress"! Bastards.

Its all abuse, insanity, crooked "businessmanship" these days, it seems. Everything is acceptable - as long as you can just get away with it.

No class. No integrity. No trustworthiness. Maybe we have gotten too old already? Call me old-fashioned, but these modern rules by which the world now runs, are not for me.
Old 12-14-17, 12:25 PM   #4
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
No class. No integrity. No trustworthiness. Maybe we have gotten too old already?
Kids today seemed to be programed to give it all the big thumbs up and agree with it all and I find that worrying.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 04:31 PM   #5
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
No class. No integrity. No trustworthiness. Maybe we have gotten too old already? Call me old-fashioned, but these modern rules by which the world now runs, are not for me.
I would guess that the median age here is fairly high.

You being libertarian may be another factor here.