SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-12-14, 05:53 PM   #16
Ballacraine
Swabbie

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

I sponsored this game via Kickstarter.

They said we would get alpha access in about 6 months.

That would be an August target date.

Balla.
Ballacraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 08:48 AM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Since two weeks the technology alpha is available.

http://kingdomcomerpg.com/game

Anyone knowing it? Ballacraine, maybe?
Old 07-10-16, 04:00 PM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

To bump this up.

The projects seems to have seen good progress, and they are now in Beta. Graphics are mouthwatering, the whole concept of the game is. I may need tobuy a new system just for this, however. Win7-compatability is given.

Check their homepage to see hoe things have evovlede over the past two years.

Having done martiual arts mysyelf and especially with (Japanese) swords, the way they have designed their combat system looks indeed very innovative to me. Still simplified, but apparently ways ahead of anything you usually see in a PC game:

I'm really waiting for this game, I have great hopes for it.

Check out their homepage:

https://www.kingdomcomerpg.com/
Old 09-06-17, 09:11 AM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Steam now holds an official release date: February 13th 2018. And if anything goes well with intel, I will have a new system by then as well.

Watch the two videos on the steam site, then look me to the eye and tell me you are not impressed!

I think a lot willl depend on to what degree this is a game like an interactive movie, or indeed an open world game with open play possible like in Bethesda's games.
Old 06-26-18, 09:10 AM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

Watch and be amazed.

Just a walking through the landscape, modded. No action, no nothing, just you and the landscape.

Impressive - very.
Old 06-27-18, 02:37 PM   #21
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 532
Uploads: 224

Wow, really impressive
Old 09-15-18, 01:50 PM   #22
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Picked this up recently and it's a great RPG. A real authenticity/realism vibe. No fantasy elements. Interesting combat system. Looks great, runs great (for me, not for all apparently).

It evokes memories of Gothic 2 with it's setting and the 'living world' concept that has all of the NPCs living their lives. Sleeping at night, working during the day, down the tavern in the evening sort of stuff.

I am particularly impressed with the attention to detail, the evident passion to recreate the look of like 15th century Europe. For example the towns are laid out in just the right way, with everything where it should be, as it was then.

The countryside is beautiful, the terrain rolls, villages appear here and there, a castle on a hill, with it's growing settlement and associated merchants and shops, tanners and blacksmiths all where they should be according to how this sort of thing was done in the middle ages.

This game is unique, a departure from the likes of Skyrim, and even the Witcher, that strives for authenticity and for the most part nails it. Highly recommended for fans of first person RPGs and anyone who is interested in the time period.
Old 10-06-18, 04:14 PM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

The combat system has killed this for me, I just did not manage to really understand it and to get into it, also, the timing I just cannot get into as well. I press the button, and nothing happens. Twenty second slater, I press the button, and it happens, though "it" may be something very different than what by cursor position was expected.

Also, its a drive killer, it seems. The drive is working constantly, and I mean: CONSTANTLY as defined as "not one second pausing".

I tried several times, each time was more alienated, and and by now it seems to be a dead game for me. Too bad. And a shame, the game looks unbelievably good.

Combat seems to be the one thing that really polarises players. If only the timing in it would work more in a way that it makes sense to me. But it doesn't.

By what I still can read until today the game also still seems to have a serious, show-stopping save-game issue, leading to that from a random point on the saved game is corrupted and forces player to start new (since the game only saves into ONE slot that constantly gets overwritten). Once corruption occured, its game over. - Unforgivable failure of theirs.
Old 10-06-18, 07:40 PM   #24
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

So far I've got nearly 150hrs in Kingdom Come Deliverance and I love it! Yeah the saving issue is still there but there is a mod for unlimited saves that works quite well. As for combat, granted it's a bit wonky but it's not really meant for you to go around and be a one man army. The best way to learn how to fight in KCD is training. Keeping in mind that there is no way of knowing how good the enemy is until you start fighting them and in some cases you're better off running away other wise you'll die. I have died A LOT in this game and I'm not done yet!
Old 10-06-18, 08:03 PM   #25
Skybird
Soaring

I know they try to mimic real medieval arms combat, yes, but the contro, mehtod is what drives me crazy, it works unreliable for me, and unpredictable. I have mno lcue when a button press causes an action, the wnated action, the expected action, and when not.

Cant get their description of how it works and what they intended, into line with what I see it behaving like. And so training is not possible.

Plus the other two issues I described.
Old 10-08-18, 08:52 AM   #26
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I really like the combat in KCD. So much so that I reckon it's the best melee system I've seen. I especially like the sense of learning, of improvement. Both Henry and the player start off with low skill. Through repetition and training both start to improve. As I started to get it, Henry did too as new moves and skills opened up. His speed improved, his defense improved.

I've found combos to be mostly useless. They are strong, but better AI opponents are fast enough to break your combo chain. Combos work against the lower level NPCs, but those are the ones you don't need combos for. So while the combos are a good idea, in practice I found they had little impact on gameplay.

The key moves for me are riposte and master strikes, both of which I found to be excellent. It didn't take long for me to realize that I was less effective being aggressive, by initiating attacks. So I learned to fight reactively, defensively. Wait for the NPC to strike first and counter it. That could mean a block, or a move that would deflect his weapon, throwing him off balance and leaving him wide open for my strikes.

As Kptlt. Neuerburg mentioned, the key for me was lots of time spent training with Captain Bernard outside of Rattay. I've spent hours here over the course of the playthrough fighting him with wooden weapons. At first he kicked my ass, but as both Henry and I got better and more skilled it reached the point where he can't even hit me. Block and counter or riposte, or master strike him in the face with the pommel.

Timing is critical. Blocks (Q by default) must happen at the instant that the green center light lights up. This is when he starts to strike. Dodging must happen at the instant he draws his weapon back. He will train you and tell you what to do, and at some point it just clicks. I found it was hard for me until I learned riposte, that opened combat up.

As a player though you are tethered to Henry's skills. You could be doing everything correctly, but if Henry's skills haven't improved you won't be effective. So the training with Bernard levels Henry's skills and allows the player to actually perform the moves you want. I've really enjoyed the progression from clueless blackmith's boy to scourge of Bohemia.

Aside from the combat there is so much I've liked about this game. I won't get in to all of it, but I want to mention the countryside. KCD has the most convincing countryside and game environment I can recall. It's really impressive. I like it so much that I've almost entriely ignored the fast-travel system just so I can gallop around on my trusty horse (which is Bucephalus incidentally)

One of my favorite RPGs in recent memory.
Old 10-08-18, 10:21 AM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

The diea of the fisghting system i got, really, its just that by implementing it they have lost me. When I press the button and nothing happens, and on another occasion for the same strike or block I poress the button and somethign happens, but not nessecarily th action I had chosen, then this sooner or later gives me the impression of being in vein, sorry. I cannot make sense of it, or in another words: what they describe that it should be, and what I see when doing it myself, are two totally different things, and on not few occasions it even looks broken.

Too bad, i really had followed this game'S development form the fenceline since the annoucned it, and had high hopes for it. But it has seriously let me down due to this cluelessness in the fighting system. Difficult is oine thing - cluelessness is somethign very different. And there training does not help, since it makes me even more clueless, and thus frustrated and increasingly aggressive.
Old 10-08-18, 08:40 PM   #28
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

With combat in KCD from what I've noticed is timing matters a lot, and depending on what weapon you're using be it a sword, axe, mace or a warhammer if your skill with the mace is 3 and you go up against a Cuman captain you'll probably lose (unless you put poison on your mace ). I managed to beat a Cuman captain with a saber today, there is no way in hell that I would of beaten that same enemy had I tried that a few weeks ago.
Old 10-09-18, 04:50 AM   #29
Skybird
Soaring

I already would be satisfied with having an understandable causal link between pressing a button at a certain point of time, and getting a predictable action from that. The way it is now, to me it is like hitting buttons on a fruit machine.
Old 10-10-18, 08:44 AM   #30
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

A few more observations about this game... In many, if not most, RPGs I play I have a love-hate relationship with gear. It's fun to find new stuff, and to decide on what to use, what to keep or upgrade, what to sell, or drop along the side of the road. There's the opportunity cost struggle that makes decisions about it all fun. Do I carry this +1 Agility weapon, or that +2 Strength /-1 Agility one?

In the end though what happens is I end up keeping almost all of it. Most rarely get used again, but I still have it! It leads to inventory clutter and storage issues and well that's why I love it and hate it at the same time.

KCD streamlines all of this. I've been carrying the same sword and bow for 40 hours now. There's no enchantment, or 17 swords I might want to choose from. This has it's own charm, and eliminates the whole distraction. Not saying it's better, but is at least refreshing, and lets me just get on with the game instead of spending hours obsessing over my inventory.

Another thing I want to mention is alchemy. Has there ever been a better, more detailed or more cool, alchemy system in any RPG? And I'm saying that even though I don't really use the alchemy aside from plot-related requirements. I'm impressed by it nonetheless.

On the flip side I think they got the archery wrong. I use it, a lot. But for a game that has realism and authenticity as it's calling card I'm a little baffled by how they implemented it. It would be fine, as is, if you were looking down the arrow shaft to aim. Instead, Henry holds the bow off to the right about a foot, like he's scared of the recoil or something. Over time you become acclimated to it and can do OK. For some situations, like stealth-killing a bandit camp I will enable the cursor so I can be effective at range. In all though I think they got this part wrong (not to mention the traverse-sway thing)

Even still I hunt all the time and no archery contest can be passed by without a quick go. The floating logs one in Ledetchko is fun.

The levelling system lacks panache. It works well enough, but it's so pedestrian in this game. Choosing skills, traits and talents is usually one of the most appealing aspects of any RPG for me, but here it just isn't. In a sense I guess you could say it fits the stark nature of the game, but I would have liked a more robust, more interesting system

Last edited by Threadfin; 10-10-18 at 09:31 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote