Closed Thread

Old 05-22-17, 11:40 AM   #6526
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Anyone not yet registered in the UK has until midnight tonight to do so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39994892
Yes the young will make a mad dash to register and come the big day most will not vote then go screaming into the night while some others will say..What more I had to vote, yea right my pint and chips come first.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!

Last edited by STEED; 05-22-17 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 11:45 AM   #6527
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Green Party manifesto outlines plans for four-day week
http://news.sky.com/story/green-part...-week-10889120

I may go hippy on the big day.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 05-22-17, 12:08 PM   #6528
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
How should politicians reconnect with voters?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40000449

How about trying to work for us for a change.

Old 05-23-17, 01:44 AM   #6529
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

^ working for the people, i'm sure most politicians already say so, only that they behave a bit different. "They" in power only want to make it appear as if power was closer to the people, not to really act like it.

"Both Labour and the Liberal Democrats are promising a constitutional convention on ideas for a more federalised country and the Conservatives say they are committed to "ensuring that power sits closer to the people of the United Kingdom than ever before".

Really, decentralising London and physically (!) scattering ministries all over the country will bring more power to the people? People are not that easily fooled.
And, a federalised country? I thought this was why the EU was rejected.

"Money that comes back from the EU after Brexit will, they say, be put into a UK Shared Prosperity Fund designed to reduce inequalities between communities across the four nations. Although Whitehall will still have the final say, there is a promise to consult widely including with the devolved administrations."

"They say", well. Interesting, this is exactly what the EU has done and does all the time, helping smaller communities and projects that would not see help by their own government for lack of funding money. Not to forget defending rights and values against the "greater good" of local governments. I do not think that any of the four countries of the UK will be better off regarding local and infrastructure help, after wrexit

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 05-23-17, 03:36 AM   #6530
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

How to vote? I have no inclinations to any party except maybe the Greens and their support for the idea of the National Wage and I don't normally get into the political threads on the forum, but in my (uneducated) view we've got a stark choice: (a) Jeremy Corbyn (who's said plenty of things I couldn't agree with) and his plans to SPEND UP on the NHS, education, social care and mental health; this might see him run out of cash and borrow the Nation in a financial pit... then (b) Theresa May, who will likely take OUR our pension guarantees, social welfare (i.e. disability benefits), OUR houses (social care in old age) and dump EACH of us lower income types into our OWN personal financial pit. No difficult choice for me.
Old 05-23-17, 03:55 AM   #6531
Catfish

Of course I have no stake in this matter. I understand Jim B. for his being against Corbyn for the troubled past, i can understand how one can be against or for May, depending on p.o.v. Still both 'strong' candidates are much better than someone like Trump, whoever gets through in the end.

imho it depends on whether you vote "strategically", so to speak give the one the vote that has a real chance, and who suits you better (if only a tiny bit), or vote with your real idea, or ideal. Like .. UKIP
Ok i guess i'll better stay out of here –

Old 05-23-17, 06:23 AM   #6532
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

No electioneering today, for obvious reasons.

SNP manifesto was to be unveiled, but has been put on hold until further notice.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 05-23-17, 07:29 AM   #6533
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
How to vote? I have no inclinations to any party except maybe the Greens and their support for the idea of the National Wage and I don't normally get into the political threads on the forum, but in my (uneducated) view we've got a stark choice: (a) Jeremy Corbyn (who's said plenty of things I couldn't agree with) and his plans to SPEND UP on the NHS, education, social care and mental health; this might see him run out of cash and borrow the Nation in a financial pit... then (b) Theresa May, who will likely take OUR our pension guarantees, social welfare (i.e. disability benefits), OUR houses (social care in old age) and dump EACH of us lower income types into our OWN personal financial pit. No difficult choice for me.
Eichhörnchen it comes down to who is going to slap you in the face the less and how much they are going to rob you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1 View Post
No electioneering today, for obvious reasons.

SNP manifesto was to be unveiled, but has been put on hold until further notice.

Mike.
Probably the week end or early next week a low key event in the light of Manchester.

Old 05-23-17, 07:48 PM   #6534
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

So Conservatives are now set to win in a landslide and impose all the internet censorship that they would like?
Old 05-24-17, 01:37 AM   #6535
Catfish

The United Pingdom.

Old 05-24-17, 06:58 AM   #6536
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

So UKIP decide not to be party to the current agreed position regarding the terrorist attack and the election campaign.

I reckon this decision will only damage UKIP even more so than they already are.

Quote:
UKIP leader Paul Nuttall says he is set to resume election campaigning in the wake of the Manchester terror attack.
Explaining his decision to launch his party's manifesto on Thursday, Mr Nuttall said: "We cannot be cowed or allow our life to be undermined by those who wish to do us harm."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40026416

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 05-24-17, 01:23 PM   #6537
STEED
Lucky Jack

UKIP is a dead duck at this election so his thinking is so we loose a few more votes so what. Question is like Labour can they recover enough in five years well as it stands for both i would say no.

Old 05-24-17, 03:12 PM   #6538
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

I can see Nuttal's point - either you carry on as before or you let the terrorists force you into changing your behaviour.

It's a tricky balancing act.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 05-25-17, 10:17 AM   #6539
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
UKIP is a dead duck at this election so his thinking is so we loose a few more votes so what. Question is like Labour can they recover enough in five years well as it stands for both i would say no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1 View Post
I can see Nuttal's point - either you carry on as before or you let the terrorists force you into changing your behaviour.

It's a tricky balancing act.

Mike.
I agree with all of the above

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 05-25-17, 04:56 PM   #6540
STEED
Lucky Jack

I had Labour banging on my door the other day and choosing too ignore my NO COLD CALLERS sign. Lucky for them i was busy and noted their departure though my gate from the bathroom. Lots of Labour and LibDem leaflets rec'd, none from the Tories and Greens so far.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics