SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-06, 05:32 AM   #1
KiCk-AzZ
Swabbie

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Oy Fellow Kapitäns

Hello everyone!

Been a proud owner of SH3 for about 6 months now, but I reg. on here just a while ago.

Just wanted to drop by and say hello to you guys.

I must say too, this game really rules, especially along with some mod added features. So I want to share great thanks to Ubi and all you modders out there.

Currently running IuB, I'm doing a new fresh career with the 7th Fl. hoping I will last many patrols and bring loads of tonnage to the bottom.

While still chatting on here.. Erhm.. I would be glad if someone could tell me what in earth was going on in a former patrol I was doing lately...

(RUB 1.45 enabled) In mid 1941, I was on a patrol and were cruisin' NE of the "Azor Islands" when I got a message about a convoy nearby. I was heading on peri.depth towards a good "ambush" position whilst the convoy were closing.. Undetected I raised my periscope (this was during night in hard weather) and I managed to lock on a few merchants firing 3 torpedoes on them..

An english coastal merchant were hit midships and sunk like a stone. Second torpedo missed, however the last one hit a C2 Cargo with a Netherland flag, and the ship became crippled in the heavy sea.

At this moment, I were down in the deep, silent running, hiding from 2 english search-light ships of the convoy. (Don't remember what kind, but they are equipped with search lights, a single front deck-gun and 2 rows of depth-charges, quite small ships)

While hiding, I free-cam the crippled C2 Cargo just waiting for it to go under.. When I all of sudden hear a bang.. And a whizz from a shell. The C2 Cargo slowly is being highlighted by one of those english search-light ships and to my great confusion, another shell goes of barely missing the C2, fired from the search-light ship. A few more rounds is being fired towards the C2, however no one of them hits. Seconds after, still in the spotlight, the C2 cracks open midships and sinks.

I got no tonnage from this C2 whatsoever, and it's wreck were painted blue in my Nav.Map.

The Netherlands is regarding to the Friend/Foe list, a foe from early 1941 and on, if I'm not mistaken. This occured when they were expected to be foes.

From what I saw, those english search-light ships were actually firing at the crippled Netherland C2 Cargo, even though it belonged to the convoy.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Why such behaviour?

I would be glad to hear your opinions.

Have a really nice day everyone!

/KiCk-AzZ
KiCk-AzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 12:50 PM   #2
captainclasp
Watch

Downloads: 0

I dunno on why the sinking was colored blue.... would have expected it to be a green neutral if anything.... But I can maybe help on the shelling of the c2. If the AI thinks it sees your scope (or thinks your very shallow) and in one spot it will shoot at you. I have used this to sneak into scapa very early and get the bb there to roll slightly on one side - when it does you go around to the other side, run up your scope and the bb and the dd's will try to shoot you. The BB cant depress its main batteries enough to hit you if your close enough, and the dd's will start shooting at you - one errant shot into the bb and it will sometimes starts shooting the dd's for you.....once they are gone the exit from scapa is much easier.... also - if you are really brave, surface next to the bb as its listing (away from the list) and thumb your nose and aa guns at the tommys before you duck back down and send em to the shallow bottom with another fish or 2.

Good Hunting.
CC
captainclasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 02:29 PM   #3
Wolfram
Weps

Downloads: 5

Welcome Aboard Herr Kaleun KiCk-AzZ.

Not sure myself about the blue marker unless it is being counted as an Axis Ally or friendly for some reason.

I am using IUb myself so far without that problem; you might ask oRGy since he is the master builder of the IUb project

g/l

Wolfram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 02:55 AM   #4
KiCk-AzZ
Swabbie

Thank you Herr Wolfram

I have no idea myself why the wreck went blue on the map. The coastal merchant, english one, sunk about a 100m beside the C2, and it was painted red and I recieved it's tonnage in my log.

Actually, during this happening, I was running RUB 1.45, not IuB 1.02.

I surely can't understand why it was happening though. It was almost like the english ones wanted to "get rid" of their crippled burden.

"Aye mates, lets cut of that weak link in our chain.. Fire at will."

Ah well..

Btw, awesome tactics captinclasp

/KiCk-AzZ
Old 02-01-06, 12:14 PM   #5
Wolfram
Weps

Downloads: 5

KiCk-AzZ when you ended the mission or at least your current game you should see a screen after the save that has tonnes neutral, axis, allied...etc. A kill record to include your crew injuries, that should have indicated if it was a neutral or friendly.

RUb is a great mod too and much of it is incoporated to a degree in oRGy's IUb - so I wonder if not a corrupt file.

If for some reason it happens again - post about it.

g/l and good hunting

Wolfram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 02:47 PM   #6
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Get stuck in to them
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 05:04 AM   #7
KiCk-AzZ
Swabbie

I'm sure to remember when I reached St. Naz. and exit that patrol, that I had just 1 Allied ship sunk and the tonnage for that one (English, Coastal Merchant). The same as in my log during the patrol. No other sinkings were to be reported in the end mission screen.

It seems somehow that the English one, shooting at the C2 tagged it for his own. Could it be a possibility? Even though I couldn't really see any shell direct hitting the C2, somehow it may still have taken damage from it, enabling the Eng. light ship to bag the tonnage and claim it's sinking.

However still confused about stabbing his own convoy member in the back

I'll sure post if it ever happen again, along with screens.

/KiCk-AzZ
Old 02-02-06, 10:38 AM   #8
TheSwampFox
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Hey, Kick-Azz...this might be a weird question...but did you play SWAT3?
TheSwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 03:40 AM   #9
KiCk-AzZ
Swabbie

Oh my.. Isn't it good ol' SwampFox?

Yes I did, for a quite very long time back then.. Nicked [DP]KiCk-AzZ.

Not a wierd question at all, just simply amazing after all these years

How are you doing buddy?

/KiCk-AzZ