SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-13, 06:16 AM   #61
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by plj View Post
Meh .. I'm being stupid ...

I mean the .dll files TDWFileUtils.dll and TDWUtils.dll .. but I doubt they are changed now .. and I should be paying more attention :p

I am using the JSGME method to put the generic patcher stuff into my game .. as per instructions found here, adapted a little for missing files the new patchers looks for.

I went on the assumption that needing them means changing them .. which seems to be in error :p
this 2 .dll's from game folder must not be overwrite by the patcher.... that's why i say do not enable the patcher with JGSME.... the patcher it's a stand alone application .... somewhere TDW mentioned that i can't find it where but when i will find it than i will show u ...
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 06:18 AM   #62
plj
Captain

Downloads: 70

Thanks Sjizzle .. now it makes sense to me :p I have this issue where I need to understand something if I am to accept it :p
plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 06:27 AM   #63
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Meh .. I'm being stupid ...

I mean the .dll files TDWFileUtils.dll and TDWUtils.dll .. but I doubt they are changed now .. and I should be paying more attention :p

I am using the JSGME method to put the generic patcher stuff into my game .. as per instructions found here, adapted a little for missing files the new patchers looks for.

I went on the assumption that needing them means changing them .. which seems to be in error :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
this 2 .dll's from game folder must not be overwrite by the patcher.... that's why i say do not enable the patcher with JGSME.... the patcher it's a stand alone application .... somewhere TDW mentioned that i can't find it where but when i will find it than i will show u ...
Sjizzle, you are misunderstanding the method suggested by Trevally and correctly used by plj. He didn't say he enabled the patcher with JSGME. Ig I got him right, he only made a copy of the files affected by TDW's patches, patched them, and enabled them using JSGME as if they were a normal mod. Since no other mod affects the same files, file conflicts or mod order are not an issue. To my understanding, following the above steps hasn't any side effect and it is the best way to keep stock files clean, in case TDW changes patcher version or something goes wrong during the patching process.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 06:45 AM   #64
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Sjizzle, you are misunderstanding the method suggested by Trevally and correctly used by plj. He didn't say he enabled the patcher with JSGME. Ig I got him right, he only made a copy of the files affected by TDW's patches, patched them, and enabled them using JSGME as if they were a normal mod. Since no other mod affects the same files, file conflicts or mod order are not an issue. To my understanding, following the above steps hasn't any side effect and it is the best way to keep stock files clean, in case TDW changes patcher version or something goes wrong during the patching process.
sorry for my mistakes...my eyes are like 2 big Bulbs
now i didnt sleep more then 35h i realy need a bed now ...
Old 09-23-13, 06:55 AM   #65
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:

backlog?!
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 01:01 PM   #66
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
He didn't say he enabled the patcher with JSGME. Ig I got him right, he only made a copy of the files affected by TDW's patches, patched them, and enabled them using JSGME as if they were a normal mod. To my understanding, following the above steps hasn't any side effect and it is the best way to keep stock files clean, in case TDW changes patcher version or something goes wrong during the patching process.
Quote:
No problem Sjizzle. Please get some well deserved rest. Thanks for your help and glad we can help you.

The TDW****.dll files do not come from the TDW patcher but from TDW's New UIs for TDC.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 01:38 PM   #67
plj
Captain

Downloads: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike47 View Post
The TDW****.dll files do not come from the TDW patcher but from TDW's New UIs for TDC.
I know .. what I did is create a folder in my JSGME 'MODS' folder for the generic patcher, installed all my mods except that one, copied over the TDWUtils and FileUtils.dll to that generic patcher folder in my JSGME 'MODS' folder, including any missing .act files.

At this point my generic patcher folder contains the current state of my gamefiles, including the .exe and any and all files acted on or needed by the generic patcher.

I now use the patcher, and enable/change whatever I want and close the patcher.

Now I use JSGME to install the 'mod'.

Whenever I want to add or remove a mod, I first disable the 'patcher mod', which should bring my game folder back to pre-patch state, and then I disable/update the rest of my mods.

The goal is to keep it relatively easy to plug stuf in or change things, without going full FUBAR all the time and needing to keep a copy of a clean SH5 install to revert to every time I screw up :p
plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 03:24 PM   #68
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I know .. what I did is create a folder in my JSGME 'MODS' folder for the generic patcher, installed all my mods except that one, copied over the TDWUtils and FileUtils.dll to that generic patcher folder in my JSGME 'MODS' folder, including any missing .act files.
No, no, no. No to install. I did not spot if you use New UIs for TDC as I quickly scanned past posts. Unless you see some advantage to installing these TDW***.dlls to the root folder, see a benefit without the use of New UIs for TDC being installed as a mod?
Quote:
At this point my generic patcher folder contains the current state of my gamefiles, including the .exe and any and all files acted on or needed by the generic patcher.

I now use the patcher, and enable/change whatever I want and close the patcher. Now I use JSGME to install the 'mod'. Whenever I want to add or remove a mod, I first disable the 'patcher mod', which should bring my game folder back to pre-patch state, and then I disable/update the rest of my mods.
I do a similar thing as a mod for TDW patcher using JSGME as long as instructions (for our newbie or rookie subsimmers out there) are followed on how to enable individual patches for TDW patcher.
Old 01-03-14, 03:54 PM   #69
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

OK, it looks like with this latest version of the patcher you don't have to copy anything into the actual SH5 directory - when you run the patcher it asks you the location of the game files it needs to modify.

But what about the MODS folder that unpacks with the patcher? Do I need to copy over and install any of those mods with JSGME? Or is everything handled through the patcher UI?

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 04:41 PM   #70
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
OK, it looks like with this latest version of the patcher you don't have to copy anything into the actual SH5 directory - when you run the patcher it asks you the location of the game files it needs to modify.

But what about the MODS folder that unpacks with the patcher? Do I need to copy over and install any of those mods with JSGME? Or is everything handled through the patcher UI?

Steve
With every version of patcher, you have to recreate or modify it. See the how to use patcher threads at bottom of post #1, Sjizzle's one is most current.
You can make it a mod with JSGME AFTER the modifiying the current version of patcher. Then create a folder structure that is JSGME compatible. Then enable like any other mod.

Last edited by Mikemike47; 01-04-14 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-03-14, 08:09 PM   #71
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

Quote:
With every version of patcher, you have to recreate or modify it. See the how to use patcher threads at bottom of post #1, Sjizzle's one is most current.
You can make it a mod with JSGME AFTER the modifiying the current version of patcher. Then create a folder structure that is JSGME compatible. Then able like any other mod.
I'm afraid I don't follow.

I went back to page 1 of this thread and re-read Sjizzle's instructions. Basically he walks you through targeting the files that the patcher is going to modify.

But he does not talk about the MODS folder at all.

I have run the patcher and enabled the patches I want.

What do I do with the mods folder? Anything?

My impression was that this latest version of the patcher is stand-alone and does not work like a mod?

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 12:59 PM   #72
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Quote:
But he does not talk about the MODS folder at all.
I never said he did.
Quote:
What do I do with the mods folder?
What are you referring to here? Mods folder within TDW_GenericPatcher_v1_0_149_0\MODS? Mods folder from SH5\Mods since I am talking about making the generic patcher moddable with JSGME? Mods folder from SH5\Mods is created by JSGME.
Quote:
My impression was that this latest version of the patcher is stand-alone and does not work like a mod?
True. But you can make it a mod like I said AFTER making the patch changes for it. A mod is basically folders and files AS IS that will overwrite stock folders and files through the magic of JSGME.
Maybe a picture is worth a thousand words here. Here is Generic patcher as a mod AFTER I made the changes just like Sjizzle, you or I did according to the instructions. Once it is enabled by JSGME, you can open up the root folder of SH5 and see that the stock file versions have been overwritten.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TDW Generic Patcher.JPG (57.8 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Mikemike47; 01-04-14 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-06-14, 03:37 PM   #73
Raven_2012
Commander

Downloads: 129

When I disable the Orbit Listener, where can I find my save files for them on my machine? The ones saved locally.
Raven_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 09:53 PM   #74
Raven_2012
Commander

Downloads: 129

Another question here, is this mod still valid if I use this TDW_gui_aob_reset_fix
or shouldn't use it?
Raven_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 06:30 AM   #75
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_2012 View Post
Another question here, is this mod still valid if I use this TDW_gui_aob_reset_fix
or shouldn't use it?
generic patcher is not a mode is a stand allone aplication and without this patcher the game is not playable...