SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-11-19, 05:53 AM   #46
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Another mod... automatic depth under keel report when diving.
Echolot's ping could give away the U-boat position to any hearing enemy unit. IIRC, this aspect is correctly simulated in game; I don't think that automating depth under keel reports is a good idea, after all
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 12:18 PM   #47
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 0
Default RE;Mods That I would like to see

First off!! Thank you all for your input to make the sim more immersive. Thank you Bstanko, You made me dust off the captain's handbook and re-read procedure on skippering a U-boat. and Gap over the years seeing you being a major contributor to the Modding community, and OFC VDR for making SH5 playable and dependable.

Often coming from SH4, when the submarine is passing through a particular water depth you will hear a call-out, "passing through thermal layer', What I understand about this is that this layer can help somewhat in disguising your submarine from being detected. along with maneuvers that would lessen your boats profile. (It has made me re-think after re-reading the sub commanders handbook a new procedure for escaping depth charge attacks) , I will adhere to that and concentrate, what I will do to evade a depth charge attack -- Moving forward,

Does this thermal layer enhance the stealth of your boat? and if this is important why is it not modeled in SH5? if it is important can it be modded for Sh5?

Amazing at times your able to fend off depth charge attacks, as in my case from 3 Vw Destroyers that took over 3 days of simulated play, and than at once you can be careless and overconfident and one destroyer manages to hit a critical part of your boat and then you cannot control flooding and your boat slips away , point being is, if a real-life anomaly, like thermal layer , would this lessen that chance of your boat being detected? thanks for your input. Also, I found this on the subject of thermal layer, AKA Thermocline >>>>>http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/ww...ermocline.rxml

"Sonar works well if the submarine has a highly reflective steel surface and is surrounded by water at a constant temperature. But in the deep ocean the water temperature varies, which causes the water density to vary. This changing density creates an effect called the thermocline, which acts as a barrier, causing sound energy to bend away. A canny submarine captain can use the thermocline to good effect, effectively shielding the submarine from view."

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 02:21 PM   #48
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

i like to see this mod in SH5... sad that Naights lost all his progress and works from this mod this UI looks damn amazing

Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 03:49 PM   #49
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

That is absolutely beautiful. I hope it can be recovered!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 03:52 AM   #50
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

A mod I'd love to see would be one that gives an option to abandon ship. I might not change much gameplay-wise, but when the boat is too damaged to survive anyway it would be a nice challenge struggling to get to the surface and allow crew to bail out.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 10:18 PM   #51
FlyMaker
Swabbie

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
i like to see this mod in SH5... sad that Naights lost all his progress and works from this mod this UI looks damn amazing

What a amazing UI
FlyMaker is offline   Reply With Quote