SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-24-08, 10:00 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Intel shows Vista the cold shoulder - or even MS altogether?

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...el-dumps-vista

Quote:
ACCORDING TO A memo circulating a few weeks ago, it looks like Intel is taking a wise decision and avoiding the Broken OS entirely. Yes, Intel is not going to use Vista on its corporate machines... ever.
When a company as tech savvy as Intel, with full source code access and having written several large chunks of the OS, says get stuffed, you know you have a problem. Well, everyone knows MS has a problem, but it is nice to see it codified in such a black and white way though. Reassuring, like a warm cup of tea, or a public kick to the corporate crown jewels.
The real question is what are they going to use? The official answer is 'nothing yet', the one where they try not to offend is 'likely Windows 7', delivered with a pained smile. Since that is shaping up to be Me II SP1a, I am not sure Intel will bite there either unless they suddenly develop a GPU that can run it in that time frame.
So that leaves two other choices, Linux and Mac. Linux is a distinct possibility, they already have an in-house distro that causes employees look nervously around the room when you talk about it. Although it is not a desktop variant, there is no reason that they could not roll one given two years.
The other one is the big white horse in the corner, Mac OS. If there was ever a company that is loyal to Intel, it is Apple. If there was ever a company that could make MacOS work internally, it is Intel. While any marriage with the turtlenecked sociopath is a match made in hell, don't count this one out either.
In the end, you have Intel flipping MS the bird, and telling them what they already know, Vista in undeployable by anyone with a grain of common sense. The impressive thing is that it just might lead to a waving off of MS entirely, they are the underdog for the next round of upgrades.
Old 06-24-08, 10:24 AM   #2
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Justice!
Old 06-24-08, 11:06 AM   #3
rifleman13
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 28

The Microsoft users disdain to conceal their views and aims. They openly declare that their ends can be attained only by the forcible advancement of all existing technological conditions. Let Microsoft tremble at a open source and freeware revolution. Microsoft has nothing to lose but their bankruptcy. They have a world to win. USERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

-modified from the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx

(just can't help it!)
rifleman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 11:10 AM   #4
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

they got what they deserved

HunterICX
Old 06-24-08, 07:10 PM   #5
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Downloads: 1

Is anyone realy surprised??? Microsoft had this coming for so long. The fact that there are now other OS out there that are good to go, means the days of just dropping it on the consumer and saying live with it are long gone!
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 10:23 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Well, a few days ago I had a first check with sites dealing with Linux, and must say I found it extremely diffiocult to make any sense of it, for there is so much stuff and different versions and needed moduels around. also, one cannot say that bthe driver support is ideal, for manufacturers avoid Linux drivers, becaseu they would constantly need to adapt them to changes. It may be that Linux can be individually designed to meet individual personal demands, but to get started with it from scratch is by far not an inviting idea. as long as that stays that way and newcomers are not better supported in an easy install-and-go-kind of style, windows will always remain to be a dominant OS, especially for many older users. Maybe I jump to Linux in the future indeed, but my curiosity for the moment has faded...
Old 06-25-08, 11:06 AM   #7
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Well, a few days ago I had a first check with sites dealing with Linux, and must say I found it extremely diffiocult to make any sense of it, for there is so much stuff and different versions and needed moduels around. also, one cannot say that bthe driver support is ideal, for manufacturers avoid Linux drivers, becaseu they would constantly need to adapt them to changes. It may be that Linux can be individually designed to meet individual personal demands, but to get started with it from scratch is by far not an inviting idea. as long as that stays that way and newcomers are not better supported in an easy install-and-go-kind of style, windows will always remain to be a dominant OS, especially for many older users. Maybe I jump to Linux in the future indeed, but my curiosity for the moment has faded...
Linux is an OS not for the faint of heart, but it is an OS you have full control over and one you can sink your teeth into the nuts and bolts that make it tick. I run a mixture of Linux and Windows here, and my last Vista machine no longer exists. I'm back in a pure XP environment.

Too much bloat in Vista, but it was accomidating bloat. To people I know personally that worked on it, it is not the OS itself, but the underlying DRM it uses. It is sluggish because it is always looking to see if you cracked something. That is its problem. You can thank the RIAA and the MPAA and all their croonies for a crappy Vista.

Now you see the push for a 2009 release of Windows 9. Microsoft is not stupid and they knew the writing was on the wall with Vista. They need to fix and replace it quick. Vista has the nickname of ME II for a reason. No one likes it just like no one liked ME.

Look at Linux. It will be an education. If you don't use your computer to play that many games anymore, then for sure, take a look at it. The reason I say so is that you are missing out on a 'TON' of 'FREE' software that only runs on Linux. That is the main reason at looking at a switch. Do a dual boot like I do on this desktop. GRUB can handle booting Linux or Windows if you want. I have a nice graphical/GUI selection screen when my machine boots that asks what OS I want. If I say nothing, in 7 seconds it picks Linux - a 64 bit Gentoo version in this case.

-S