SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-08, 06:44 AM   #1
steinbeck
Frogman

Downloads: 808
Uploads: 0
Default Surreptious Microsoft???

Just re-formatted my HD yesterday, installed my GENUINE windows Xp Home Edition and having gone to 'activate' it as we have to via the little key icon on the taskbar.
Surprise, Surprise!! Told 'too many activations', purchase another product key!!

Just spent 3 hours here in the Uk trying to get some help here from Microsoft uk and they told me to buy another 'Retail' disk only £164.00.

Just what is happening?? Are we being pushed onto Vista?

steinbeck ...............I HATE MICROSOFT!......... if there was an alternative which will run SH4+ I would be having a look at it now
steinbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 06:48 AM   #2
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Just reactivate it by phone. Don't use the 0800 number, it's never answered.

When they answer, give them the request code and they'll supply you a new activation code. If they ask (they probably won't), just tell them you had to reinstall due to a virus.

They can tell your copy of XP is genuine from the request code.
Old 05-06-08, 07:27 AM   #3
Lt. Staumeier
Loader

Downloads: 27

Or get a Linux distribution instead (Well, too bad SH4 won't run under Linux. Yet.)
Old 05-06-08, 08:07 AM   #4
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223

I was lucky when i got winxp pro when they came out it was an OEM version from work and came with an unlimited key code, so i can install the os a trillion times on a zillion pcs and no need to activate. Its still unlimited to this day. Only problem with OEM's is they dont like the service packs to well - hassle to install. Not even going to bother with SP3.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 09:44 AM   #5
steinbeck
Frogman

Default OEM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005
I was lucky when i got winxp pro when they came out it was an OEM version from work and came with an unlimited key code, so i can install the os a trillion times on a zillion pcs and no need to activate. Its still unlimited to this day. Only problem with OEM's is they dont like the service packs to well - hassle to install. Not even going to bother with SP3.
Mine is an OEM disk....And the phone number given foor the UK is just a ring tone....in otherwords it's dead? I am so damn annoyed by M*********. The've really P***** me off

steinbeck
Old 05-06-08, 09:46 AM   #6
steinbeck
Frogman

Default Phone number

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
Just reactivate it by phone. Don't use the 0800 number, it's never answered.

When they answer, give them the request code and they'll supply you a new activation code. If they ask (they probably won't), just tell them you had to reinstall due to a virus.

They can tell your copy of XP is genuine from the request code.
So what number are we talking about? please, I have only come across the 0800 number
steinbeck...:hmm:
Old 05-06-08, 09:52 AM   #7
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45

When you choose to activate XP by phone, it will ask you to enter your location. When you do that, it will give you the 0800 number and, IIRC, an 0845 (premium) number.

If I ever have to reactivate my copy, the 0845 number is always answered in mins.

You should see a screen like this: (I know this is US but the same is true for the UK version)

Old 05-06-08, 10:05 AM   #8
Steel_Tomb
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

I personally would get a copy of windows by other means... *cough*

Or go to linux... good OS that. I'm running a linux system downstairs and its never let me down, which is more than can be said for windows.

System Spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz | 4Gb Corsair XMS2 Dominator DDR2 PC-2 6400 RAM |
XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640mb PCI-E | Creative X-fi sound card | 250Gb HDD |

Rest In Peace Dave, you will be missed.
Steel_Tomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 10:53 AM   #9
steinbeck
Frogman

Default coughing quietly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Tomb

Or go to linux... good OS that. I'm running a linux system downstairs and its never let me down, which is more than can be said for windows.

I visit * demonoid* every day, wonderful place and already have * another*

Thanks anyway!! Loathe to use it tho'

steinbeck
Old 05-06-08, 03:31 PM   #10
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005
Mine is an OEM disk....And the phone number given foor the UK is just a ring tone....in otherwords it's dead? I am so damn annoyed by M*********. The've really P***** me off

steinbeck
Must be OEM from the retailer where you have to activate, company oem's no need to activate. They come with one key that works for unlimited installs.

Anyways thats pretty crap for MS telling you to go buy another xp OS.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 02:44 AM   #11
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

Talk of piracy aside, a little know fact is that SH3 will run just fine with Linux, using WINE. There is also a commercial Windows emulator for Linux that is tuned for gaming, called Cedega, that supposedly works even better than WINE for gamers.

The recent editions of SH3 that do not have Starforce copy protection will run flawlessly in WINE. Older versions, patched to 1.4b, will also run just as well, but require a little tweaking.

The last report on SH4 was for the "out-of-the-box" version. It was listed as "Garbage" in WINE's AppDB. Recent patches may have changed that, but you'd have to find out for yourself by trying it.

Check out WINE's website, winehq.org, and look for the AppDB link that will take you to the page listing Windows games and software that work with WINE.
Old 05-07-08, 11:46 AM   #12
steinbeck
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
When you choose to activate XP by phone, it will ask you to enter your location. When you do that, it will give you the 0800 number and, IIRC, an 0845 (premium) number.

If I ever have to reactivate my copy, the 0845 number is always answered in mins.

You should see a screen like this: (I know this is US but the same is true for the UK version)

Ok, I'm activated now but they told me, everytime now I'll have go through this procedure. And, for Uk people, Curry's now do NOT stock any Xp disks, they will only supply 'Vista' disks??

steinbeck.. Thanks for all contributions to my plight, even support is always a positive!!
Old 05-07-08, 03:25 PM   #13
Water boy
A-ganger

Downloads: 7

Never mind, Windows RIP, here comes VISTA........
But wait.
There she (VISTA) go's .............. new system already on the cards from Microsoft isn't there?.
Then nothing will run.:rotfl:
Water boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 11:29 PM   #14
Go4It
Engineer

Downloads: 0

This is for future infomation ......

This only works IF ! it's the same system with nothing added or removed..

XP ONLY

Never Re-Activate After Installation

If you have to reinstall Windows XP you normally will have to reactivate too. Well not anymore.
Just copy wpa.dbl after you activated the first time. It is located in the WINDOWS\system32 folder.
Now if you reinstall Windows XP just copy the file back and you're up and running again.

Activate Windows XP from Floppy Diskette Backup

Circumstances arise where you'll need to reinstall Windows XP on your machine when no hardware changes
have been made. Rather than go through the reactivation process, create a floppy disk to back up the activation
status file. Once XP has been reinstalled the floppy can be used to restore the previous activation status.

Create the Activation Status Floppy Diskette
Navigate to %systemroot%\system32 folder.
Copy the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files to the floppy diskette.
Reinstall Windows XP
Reinstall XP in the normal manner. After the install is completed and the XP Out Of Box Experience (OOBE)
appears where you'd normally activate the product, decline to activate and let the installation complete.
Activate the XP Reinstallation
Restart the computer and use the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options menu.
Select Minimal Safe Mode using Up and Down Arrow Keys and press Enter.
Navigate to %systemroot%\system32 folder.
Rename the existing wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files.
Using the floppy diskette, copy the previously backed up wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files to the
%systemroot%\system32 folder.
Reboot the computer.
Go4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 08:15 AM   #15
steinbeck
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Tomb

.................................................. .................................................. .....
I visit * demonoid* every day, wonderful place and already have * another*

Thanks anyway!! Loathe to use it tho'

steinbeck
.................................................. .................................................. ........
I have found that Microsoft themselves actually have a small 'prog' for this very problem. Found this on 'Demonoid', did a d/l and it worked straight away. So, problem solved

steinbeck...