SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-12, 09:46 AM   #856
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Eventually I'm going to have to try playing a less... righteous character, just to see what it's like.
A stealth Dunmer that dual wields daggers is a great place to start with that. The cinematic sneak attack kills are just too fun.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 10:05 AM   #857
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
A stealth Dunmer that dual wields daggers is a great place to start with that. The cinematic sneak attack kills are just too fun.

Also, if you're having trouble with lockpicking. Do the Thieves Guild Quests for a nice little lock picking gift.
Old 01-18-12, 10:09 AM   #858
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
I have to admit I get a lot of use out of the Stealth skillset anyway... I've gotten pretty far in Alchemy, Lockpicking, Speech and Sneak and except for Alchemy that's all through practice or finding the occasional skill book. Have not done any Pickpocketing because it's not my thing and there's been no need for it so far, nor anyone that I really *wanted* to steal anything from in that fashion. No Light Armor experience, except maybe for a little from when I first started out and was wearing whatever I could loot off of bodies on the way out of Helgen.

I guess with Sneak getting up there I can try some Pickpocketing eventually as the need arises. My next thing in the Main Quest is the infiltration of the Thalmor Embassy and it might be fun to try and "stealth" my way through that as much as possible.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 11:10 AM   #859
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223

Quote:
For some reason I have never had any trouble with lockpicking, I picked it up really easily. It probably helps that I generally carry 100+ lockpicks and am very, very persistent.

It's actually one of the few "puzzle"' type things that I really enjoy. I think I'm getting way up there in that skill and it's all through hands-on practice. I learned to buy or take every lockpick I could find and with this character, I have yet to meet a lock that I could not pick with a little care and patience. And sometimes a lot of broken lockpicks.

Oh and whoever said that thing about setting the timescale to 2, I tried it and it is awesome.

Is there anyway to set that and the FOV in one of the .ini files so you don't have to go into the console and do it every time you launch the game? Because that would be fantastic. There was something out there about permanently setting the FOV but I tried it and it didn't "take" in the game.

Nimrod has picked locks in Morrowind picked more locks in Oblivion, I was terrible at it in Oblivion And curse the gods if he's gonna pick locks in Skyrim!

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 11:50 AM   #860
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

A good light armor that will help you sneak but that I find is still usefull is the Shrouded Armor from the D.B
Old 01-18-12, 12:10 PM   #861
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223

Quote:
Is there anyway to set that and the FOV in one of the .ini files so you don't have to go into the console and do it every time you launch the game? Because that would be fantastic. There was something out there about permanently setting the FOV but I tried it and it didn't "take" in the game.
Try this:
http://j-u-i-c-e.hubpages.com/hub/change-fov-skyrim

You already know how to make the changes in the ini file I presume but see below part at what you have to do & what to avoid.

To change the default FOV, find the Skyrim.ini file in your Documents\My Games\Skyrim\ folder and place the following line under the [Display] settings header:
fDefaultWorldFOV=x.x
where x.x is the number of degrees you'd like to set it for. For example, fDefaultWorldFOV=90.0 will set the FOV to 90 degrees. (The decimal and trailing zeroes aren't required.)

**Take note of this**
The next time you load your game, switch to first person view and press the Tab key to open the Menu. When you close the menu, your FOV should update automatically. This setting should persist through opening and closing the map, fast traveling, and sprinting as long as you don't change the FOV in the console. Changing the FOV using the console command has a tendency to revert the FOV back to its default when any of these situations occur.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 12:22 PM   #862
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
Try this:
http://j-u-i-c-e.hubpages.com/hub/change-fov-skyrim

You already know how to make the changes in the ini file I presume but see below part at what you have to do & what to avoid.

To change the default FOV, find the Skyrim.ini file in your Documents\My Games\Skyrim\ folder and place the following line under the [Display] settings header:
fDefaultWorldFOV=x.x
where x.x is the number of degrees you'd like to set it for. For example, fDefaultWorldFOV=90.0 will set the FOV to 90 degrees. (The decimal and trailing zeroes aren't required.)

**Take note of this**
The next time you load your game, switch to first person view and press the Tab key to open the Menu. When you close the menu, your FOV should update automatically. This setting should persist through opening and closing the map, fast traveling, and sprinting as long as you don't change the FOV in the console. Changing the FOV using the console command has a tendency to revert the FOV back to its default when any of these situations occur.
Thanks! I will give it a try.
Old 01-18-12, 01:21 PM   #863
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Timescale is saved as a variable in the save files, so you don't need to worry about that one. Just change it, save the game and from that point it's set. (unless you revert to a save before the change of course)

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 03:20 PM   #864
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post

Also, if you're having trouble with lockpicking. Do the Thieves Guild Quests for a nice little lock picking gift.
Gotta give that back to complete the quest.

Catch 22, especially for light armor users.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 04:39 PM   #865
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Eventually I'm going to have to try playing a less... righteous character, just to see what it's like. I don't even like taking the things that are freely available to me in, say, a friend's home or shop, unless I need the item to fulfill a specific quest and am really desperate.
You absolutely should, if for no other reason than the the fact that the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild questlines are probably the two best in the entire game. They certainly warrant a playthrough.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 05:02 PM   #866
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
You absolutely should, if for no other reason than the the fact that the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild questlines are probably the two best in the entire game. They certainly warrant a playthrough.
Lol, reading that and then (re)reading your sig... I can sort of see why they might appeal to you.
Old 01-18-12, 05:58 PM   #867
soopaman2
Der Alte

Quote:
They net the best light armor in game. No need to craft a single leather bracer or iron dagger, nor waste perks on silly crafting skills.

A mix and match of DB and Theives armor is godlike, as well as sneak damage bonuses, and clever bow usage, makes being a sneaky cut-throat really fun, and nearly invincible.

The perk where you crouch, and they lose you momentarily is mean. Gives you enough time to impale them with an arrow, with the sneak bonus...Even at near point blank range.

FK, play one on the dark side. You will find yourself giggling in evil joy, along with the rest of us

-Winston Churchill-

Old 01-18-12, 06:06 PM   #868
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
A mix and match of DB and Theives armor is godlike, as well as sneak damage bonuses, and clever bow usage, makes being a sneaky cut-throat really fun, and nearly invincible.
Nightingale armor, yes. Standard Thieves Guild armor, no. I have always felt that the standard set was completely mismatched, as it grants no bonus to sneaking. The Dark Brotherhood set is awesome.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 08:02 PM   #869
soopaman2
Der Alte

Quote:
Nightingale armor, yes. Standard Thieves Guild armor, no. I have always felt that the standard set was completely mismatched, as it grants no bonus to sneaking. The Dark Brotherhood set is awesome.

Sorry.Yes Nightingale armor.

You all gonna make me play this again?

I can't put the Deus Ex down yet. Have to get through the game without killing first.

-Winston Churchill-

Old 01-18-12, 10:25 PM   #870
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
Gotta give that back to complete the quest.

Catch 22, especially for light armor users.
Yes but why would you complete a quest when you can have awesome lockpicking skills