SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-16, 09:47 AM   #1
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0
Default Guns have gone silent

I have the following mod setup:
RFB_2.0
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
RSRDC_RFB_V575
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Ship Physics_2.15
410 TMOPlot09032013

But when I add the Pacific Sound Mod to this using JSGME my guns (AA and deck gun) stop making sounds when I fire them. I can still hear the impacts of the various rounds just not the shooting sound.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-16, 10:46 AM   #2
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Icon1

Quote:
I have the following mod setup:
RFB_2.0
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
RSRDC_RFB_V575
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Ship Physics_2.15
410 TMOPlot09032013

But when I add the Pacific Sound Mod to this using JSGME my guns (AA and deck gun) stop making sounds when I fire them. I can still hear the impacts of the various rounds just not the shooting sound.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Mods sometimes just don't play together as they should. Remove the mod causing the problem. If there is a 'Readme' that came with the mod, look at it to see if the author says what other mods can work with another.

Good luck and Good hunting!
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-16, 01:10 PM   #3
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Escape key, Options, Sound Settings. Check the slider for 3D sound channels is all the way to the right. Even with that I sometimes get muted sound effects when there are a lot of things playing at once (Example, screw noises, wake noises, screeching seagulls, aircraft and anti-aircraft guns, hull creaking, the torpedo tube outer door opening WAV stops playing).
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 12:57 AM   #4
Barkerov
Soundman

The problem mod is the Pacific sound mod, without it the guns sound fine.
The readme suggested that because this is a sound mod you should install it last and it won't overwrite anything else. There weren't any CTDs so I thought it would be OK

I did install this whilst I had one save going and even though I tested the mod in both training and on my current save, and only the guns didn't sound on both occasions (everything else sounded great) could this somehow cause a problem?

Would a complete uninstall / re-install of SH4 solve the problem maybe
Old 05-04-16, 06:28 AM   #5
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Understanding how mods change files, and which mod files are used in-game are important.

Which ever mod is last "activated" within JSGME, is the group of files the game uses. RFB has its own sound files, but because you added the Pacific Sound mod later in your mod list......its sound file is used in-game. I didn't look at the RFB files to know for sure, but RFB liked to change ID's of specific things (like the sound of the deck gun "flash".....when it fires off) to its own liking. If the ID's of the "flash" of the guns were changed other than what the stock game uses, that's why the Pacific Sounds mod won't work with RFB. I'm suspecting the Pacific Sound mod doesn't change ID's at all, just the .wav file for the sounds.

A complete reinstall of the game is not warranted if there's nothing wrong with your stock game files. To find out what's changed with your stock game files after adding/removing mods you'll need to use the "compare Snapshot" feature of JSGME. Didn't take a Snapshot of your clean game files before adding mods to them......your SOL!! Reinstall the game; delete the SH4 folder that holds your saved games too, and start over with a Snapshot ready to use in the future when you suspect corruption of the stock game files. Read the documentation with JSGME to learn about the Snapshot feature.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 07:33 PM   #6
Barkerov
Soundman

I definitely used JSGME with a snapshot of a clean install. I knew to do this because I read the documentation. I am that freak that actually reads the readme for EVERYTHING.

I have read one of your tutorials by the way, which I refer to from time to time.

From what I observed last night looking at the sound files most of them are named exactly when it comes to the guns but are slightly different. I wonder if there is a way of splicing the sound files from the Pacific sound mod into RFB directly but I need to know how to do that.

Ultimately I might just swap out the crash dive sound files and things like that directly if I cant solve this. I will make a new mod in my mods folder called RFB splice so I cant use JSGME to do it.
Old 05-04-16, 08:12 PM   #7
CapnScurvy
Admiral

That's great to have taken a Snapshot of your clean game files!!

Just remove all mods from "activation" within JSGME, then run the "Compare Snapshot" feature to see what if anything has changed. You'll usually get file results like "Same" (that's good); "Removed" (not so good); "Different" (not good either); "New" (could be normal due to added image's you've taken while playing the game or, a file called SI.bin that the game makes the first time its run). If things seem to be normal for what you expect....you shouldn't need to reinstall. If there's lots of "Different" or "Removed" files, and you can't account for the changes.....time to reinstall.

As far as the sound files....... copy/paste the .wav files you like from the Pacific Sound mod into the RFB entries would be a way of getting both to work as you would like.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 05-04-16, 09:28 PM   #8
Barkerov
Soundman

It doesn't look like it's yet time for a re-install.

My problem with the sounds is I am unsure how they are being called. So I might be able to copy the wavs but will they get used. I suspect not if they don't have an equivalent in the other mod.

Any ideas?
Old 05-05-16, 08:23 AM   #9
Barkerov
Soundman

So I took your suggestion and copied over the sounds from the pacific sound mod into the rfb 2.0 patch. I then added the rsrdc and patch as well as improved ship physics 2.15. This gave me my sounds and my gun sounds.

So I get ambitious and decide to install the tmo smoke mod at the end. The only folders in there relate to materials and textures I say to myself. What could possibly go wrong?

The gun sounds and only the gun sounds dissappear again thats what.
W
T
F
Old 05-05-16, 10:05 AM   #10
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkerov View Post
So I took your suggestion and copied over the sounds from the pacific sound mod into the rfb 2.0 patch. I then added the rsrdc and patch as well as improved ship physics 2.15. This gave me my sounds and my gun sounds.

So I get ambitious and decide to install the tmo smoke mod at the end. The only folders in there relate to materials and textures I say to myself. What could possibly go wrong?

The gun sounds and only the gun sounds disappear again thats what.
W
T
F
I was just putting together some images to show you how to add your sound preferences to your mod list. Looks like you've got a pretty good start on how to do it. Using the sound Sh.sdl file from "RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010" is the way to go.....good for you!

Making sure you use the .wav file of your choice....with the specific name that RFB uses is the way to make your sounds play with RFB's ID's. You can make a cow sound like a chicken by just knowing which .wav file does what....and which specific name your modded files identifies the cow and chicken.

I'm going to show you why you're still having trouble when adding a mod for TMO (or the stock game files, since TMO Smoke Mod is believed to work for a stock game), with RFB.

Below is the TMO Smoke Mod particles.dat file opened with S3D:

Notice the naming of the "$AA_Gun_muzzle_flash" and the ID for it (where I've highlighted with the mouse).

Now compare RFB's particles.dat file:

For one thing, RFB calls the AA gun by a different name...."$AAGun_Flash", AND has a different ID attached to it. This ID is what the RFB sound uses to connect the .wav file to the RFB gun.

Bottom line, unless you want to do a lot of backward cross mixing with ID's, names, and sounds.....this is why you don't mix and match things with mega mods. Especially RFB. Its one reason why I stopped working with it when I was part of their team years ago. Too much of it is specific only to RFB.....for the very reason of making it hard to make compatible modifications to it. RFB could have used the stock name and ID, but Nooooooo. It had to be different!

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 05-05-16 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-05-16, 10:50 AM   #11
Barkerov
Soundman

Thanks for that priceless info. Sounds like I was fortunate to get as much as I did.

I will live without the billowing black smoke then. Do you foresee any CTDs putting the sound files in like I have?
Old 05-05-16, 12:26 PM   #12
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Do you foresee any CTDs putting the sound files in like I have?
No

If you simply opened the RFB 2.0 Data\Sound folder and copy\pasted the .wav files from the Pacific Sound mod as you liked into the RFB sound folder (making sure your .wav file is named as the RFB counter part .wav file) you should be just fine.

If I were you, I would make my own mod to activate just after the two RFB 2.0 mods. That way you don't needlessly mess up the RFB files and can compare easily what you changed to your liking.

Maybe you know how, but I'll mention it for anyone else:

Remove all mods from "activation". At the main SH4 game folder (usually named "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific"), find the "MODS" folder, open it, then right mouse click on an open spot of the right hand pane.....bringing up a text menu block. Find the "NEW" heading and click on "Folder". This will be your new mod folder.....call it "My Sounds". Open it, then right click again making a NEW folder.....name it "Data". Open it, making another folder named "Sounds".

In the My Sounds/Data/Sounds folder copy/paste the "Sh.sdl" file from RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010 (its the latest RFB file):

Now fill your mod with the .wav files you select.......making sure you name them whatever names RFB uses. With most Windows OS's you should be able to left click the .wav file to hear the sound. This way you can compare one sound to another from the two mods...choosing the one you like.

Activate "My Sounds" as you would any other JSGME compatible mod after the two RFB 2.0 mods.

Quote:
Old 05-05-16, 08:17 PM   #13
Barkerov
Soundman

That's essentially what i did in the end.
Thanks very much for taking your time to respond. I understand the problem much better now.
Old 05-06-16, 08:35 AM   #14
CapnScurvy
Admiral

You're very welcome!

The key to a lot of compatible issues are the ID's found throughout the game files (those long 0x123456789123 ID's found within S3D). The .dat file usually contains the 3D model/object with a particular ID for it. The .sim file uses the same ID in its "ParentID" section to define what the object may do. The .dsd files use the objects ID the same way, but regarding sound aspects. The .zon group details any possible damage the object may incounter. Following the objects ID through the various files from the direct ID given to it, to the Parent ID that's found in the different yet related files is how you learn what's what.

It doesn't help to find that an ID was changed from what the stock game uses when the object is the same for both the mod and the stock game....but that's what happens sometimes.

=========

As far as the TMO Smoke Mod you were trying......go ahead and add the Texture images to your game. They won't hurt a thing. You may be suprised how much of a difference the image will change the look, without getting into the materials.dat or particles.dat files. Although, as you get better with comparing stock files with modded ones, you may try modifing your own files to make them work as you like. That's how I started to mod, so can anyone else.

Quote: