Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-17, 11:14 AM   #16
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Threads merged.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 12:00 PM   #17
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

All is well on my Opera.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 12:31 PM   #18
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

As Microsoft continues to devolve, look for more and more things not to work, or to work improperly. They are hoping that when we learn to trust them thereby, we'll have no problem when they insist that everything you download for your computer must come from the Microsoft Store.

Then they will take 30% of the sale price for every single piece of software and even themes, wallpaper and other fluff that passes through their Store. AND they will have a stranglehold, ensuring that better competing software to their own never sees the light of day on your computer.

Things are about to get very ugly in Windows Land. This mostly harmless little glitch is foreshadowing a brave new world of "be reasonable do it (or don't do it) our way." Essential functions are about to become impossible.

So now that they have demonstrated their incompetence with Internet Explorer and Edge, we are supposed to trust them to dictate what software we will and will not have access to.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 01:17 PM   #19
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

It works with Windows 'Edge' (10 browser), but not always with Firefox. I guess you have to install either Flash or the HTML5 Plug-in, with FF.

@RR so true!

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 03:36 PM   #20
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Firefox portable also ok.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 08:42 AM   #21
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Here's a longshot: I just recalled a similar situation from a long while back where a person at a worksite I was at had a problem with YouTube videos behaving erratically. I tried a number of fixes, but the one that appeared to do the trick was to click on the little YT player's Settings icon and change the quality setting; in that case, the user had changed the setting hoping to get HD quality, but it seemed some video aspect, either the PC's video card or, perhaps, a software/memory conflict may have been the cause; I just wished the user had told me at the outset she had changed the setting, before I ran through a lengthy search for a possible cause...

<O>
Old 05-22-17, 10:42 AM   #22
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Hmmm... What browser?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
It seems to work with Firefox. Could it be internal such as a firewall not allowing the video to open ? What OS are you using Steve ?
Sorry I was late getting back to this. Windows 8.1 with IE. I like things the way they are, and this is a new thing. It wasn't doing it last month.
Old 05-22-17, 11:43 AM   #23
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Aktung indicated that he spoke with Rockin Robbins and they had a solution for you Steve that they sent. If that's not the case or it didn't work, try this. If your video's opened without issue last month but not now, it sounds like something was inadvertently switched, turned off or on.

Consider going into system tools and restore and restoring your computer to an earlier time, like last month when everything worked for you. That seems like the simplest solution if you can't identify where your issues are.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 11:51 AM   #24
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Sorry I was late getting back to this. Windows 8.1 with IE. I like things the way they are, and this is a new thing. It wasn't doing it last month.
Actually it wasn't doing it before 5/3 when I had posted a Tom Petty video. and noticed missing along with all other videos...two days later. So now I have two OS and still use EI 11 as primary but bounce over to Chrome for video stuff...simply the KISS principle solutionwise-. Chrome is a trifle unwieldy as yet to me as I too like things the way they are: possibly do to hardening of the arteries! Someone pointed out IE 11 had been escalated (whatever that means) I responded:
Quote:
I'm leery at age 66 of things that get 'escalated.' Suddenly 'zigs' while I'm happily zagging or get's fixed when it wasn't broke-generally as the brainstorm of a 20 year old polymath wiz trying to make a buck on the pretext of improving the world.
EDIT: I did restore to to an earlier time... twice! It didn't restore the video.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 12:22 PM   #25
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
EDIT: I did restore to to an earlier time... twice! It didn't restore the video.
I should have known you would try the restore Aktung but it may yet work for Steve.

In the interim, it may be worth looking into getting another video player free from many open sources and designating the new video player as the default player. It will also need up to date codecs to enable it to play the newest videos. These codecs are usually up to date though. This may buy you the time to sort out your issues with your current player while still enjoying the posted videos. I also wondered if there might be a codec issue in the player you have now that may have been inadvertently erased or removed.

* be sure you fully scan anything you download to avoid the latest " ransomware "
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 08:15 PM   #26
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Using Chrome, maybe try this:

See if that will fix IE11.
Soooo.....

He's having issues viewing embedded videos, so you provide the solution in an embedded video.

*golf clap*

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 08:27 PM   #27
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I did say, "Using Chrome, maybe try this:"
Old 05-23-17, 01:52 AM   #28
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

eisenwurst tells me he's just solved his problems by switching to Chrome. I've used it since it began and haven't had any trouble.
Old 05-23-17, 04:40 AM   #29
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
eisenwurst tells me he's just solved his problems by switching to Chrome. I've used it since it began and haven't had any trouble.
All okay with Chrome. #10

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-17, 07:36 AM   #30
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

The browser I asked about was IE11 and not Chrome, Firefox or bloody Opera but IE11, sheesh can someone shoot me now.
Please try using your default Windows Internet Explorer version in The SUBSIM Music Thread, I already said there were no problems with any other browsers or any other web sites just this one, therefore this site must be at fault. Thank you for any assistance in this matter it will be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
If anyone has the spare time could you check your default IE browser and visit The SUBSIM Music Thread to see if you experience the same problems that AktungBBY and I are having with it.

The Problem.
I'm getting a black screen where the videos should be in The SUBSIM Music Thread when I'm using IE11, it doesn't happen anywhere else and it didn't use to happen here either, all the other browsers I've tried are OK so it's a specific fault to IE and this site.

I've checked at least a dozen different sites out with IE and the videos are displaying and playing correctly so what if any settings has been changed on here. I do mention the settings on here as being the problem as nowhere else on the internet is having this problem with IE11.

I will assume it all started with that BREADFISH debacle or the recent SPAM attacks we've been having, so, if you can find time to have a look at what might have been changed you will have my gratitude in advance.

All input is welcome, even if I find it to be a worthless post on the matter it will still be welcomed.