SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-07, 07:08 PM   #241
Major Johnson
Frogman

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

ACTION-ORIENTED SUBSIM SKIPPER

"Zoom! Blam! Full speed ahead--look, a kitty!" LOL!!! :rotfl:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX8350 8 Core 4.0 Ghz CPU
GeForce GTX 560 Ti PCIx Video Card
8 GB Corsair Vengence RAM
Rosewill 850W Power Supply
Major Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 04:32 AM   #242
terrapin
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

STRATEGIC SUBSIM SKIPPER
For you, Silent Hunter 4 is just Battleship with shiny, moving pieces. You see the big picture, you think long term, and you are indifferent to political consequences. They would not have put you in charge of a $2 billion attack sub if they didn't want you to use it. You learned that back in Red Storm Rising and you never forgot. You prefer handling large scale operations like Fleet Command and Fighting Steel. Half your time is spent setting up mind-numbingly complex battle plans, with 8 layers of contingencies. You pray for the day Sonalysts will release a ballistic missile sub. With nukes. Every day is a good day for the other side to die. Your motto is "Be my friend or be a mushroom cloud."

Umm......fit's my RL behaviour pretty well...:rotfl:

Old 11-22-07, 05:23 PM   #243
Masterhawk405
Swabbie

Downloads: 16
Default Kind of Sub Skipper I am

ROLE-PLAYING SUBSIM SKIPPER
Your taste in sub and naval games runs the gamut from Grey Wolf to Silent Hunter 4. You have tried them all, at varying realism options. You're a lit-tle old-er than the typical subsim skipper, and probably remember using a tape cassette player to load programs onto your Radio Shack TRS-80. (Or perhaps you're wise beyond your years.) Your primary joy is using your imagination to put yourself into the game. You are able to overlook little details like the crew appearing instantly on the bridge, or wonky AI: to you, these are easily worked into the story as a crew who are really light on their feet, and frigates that have green skippers. The game platform gets you halfway there, your imagination does the rest. You spend lots of time setting up your crew management so it's just right and may even talk to them. You relish managing support and logistics in games like Pacific Storm, Navy Field, and Silent War.
Masterhawk405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 04:41 AM   #244
Winston Caine
Mate

Downloads: 10

Casual skipper here.
Winston Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 04:53 AM   #245
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

Quote:
CASUAL SUBSIM SKIPPER
You fell in love with Aces of the Deep. Your playing style is relaxed, more for fun than historical accuracy. You always play Sub Command or Dangerous Waters from the NavMap (rightclick is your friend), if you ever ventured to play them at all. Probably you prefer WWII subsims like Silent Hunter 3, SH4 and Aces. You may try the manual TDC, but you prefer to leave the auto map contacts on, (blank maps scare you). Even though you know submarine skippers missed targets occasionally in real life, you cannot resist reloading a mission to take another shot at a 10,000-tonne troopship that got away. One ship, one torpedo, finished off with the deck gun--that's the creed you live by.

Spot on!
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 09:05 AM   #246
swampa
Mate

Downloads: 104

Hardcore
swampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 10:21 AM   #247
Schultzy
Commander

Downloads: 48

Quote:
HARDCORE SUBSIM SKIPPER No doubt about it, you are hardcore. You are the kind of subsim player who pins up the Kriegsmarine gridmap on your wall, you use a redlamp when playing at night, your wife lets you know her mother is visiting by shouting "Alarm!" and you didn't know--or care--that Silent Hunter III has a save game feature. You cut your teeth plotting attacks in Gato, sank 28,000 tons in your first Aces of the Deep patrol, and played Dangerous Waters at 100% realism. You scoff at wannabes who whine about some niggling detail in a subsim but use the red triangle-infested auto TDC and auto-map updates. You never, ever, use anything but full realism.
You are the "sim" in Subsim.
Ya got me... guilty as charged.
SH5 is to history what Star Trek is to science...it is exciting and inspiring, but eventually you have to come home from the convention, take off the pointy ears, and come to the realization that it was all just pretend and make-believe.
Schultzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 10:40 AM   #248
manucapo
Gunner

Downloads: 34

i got hardcore
i dont really think so
but i did start playing with TM and 100 percent realism right away
so maybe
manucapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 01:37 PM   #249
rrmelend
Medic

Downloads: 20

Hardcore also.
rrmelend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 08:00 PM   #250
odjig292
Mate

Downloads: 0

What a marvelous thread! It's an hour of enjoyment to take the test and read the results for dozens of others. Whoever put the thing together is brillaint and has a marvelous sense of humor....and a knowledge of subsims. Well done someone!!!
odjig292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 10:11 PM   #251
captiandon
Soundman

CASUAL SUBSIM SKIPPER You fell in love with Aces of the Deep. Your playing style is relaxed, more for fun than historical accuracy. You always play Sub Command or Dangerous Waters from the NavMap (rightclick is your friend), if you ever ventured to play them at all. Probably you prefer WWII subsims like Silent Hunter 3, SH4 and Aces. You may try the manual TDC, but you prefer to leave the auto map contacts on, (blank maps scare you). Even though you know submarine skippers missed targets occasionally in real life, you cannot resist reloading a mission to take another shot at a 10,000-tonne troopship that got away. One ship, one torpedo, finished off with the deck gun--that's the creed you live by.

I would have to differ. All thought I use the map I am set at 100% I do consider 2 torpedos a Spread but I view attacks like Mush Morton. I try to sink ships with only one torpedo. I use manual targeting. and I dont reload my games like that, Yes I do finish targets off with the deck gun but I dont need to reload the game for that. I hit them with a torpedo or two and then I surface and attack with the gun. If the target is heavy defended I leave him and clame him as dammaged. I will however try to do an end run and attack him again if I can get the chance. And I do play this as because of the History and I do not play it casualy. I am as serious about it, Just ask my friends.
Old 11-24-07, 11:30 AM   #252
Reno
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 4

Hardcore...but I already knew that.
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 08:50 AM   #253
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Sez I'm hardcore

Hardcore. I'm the "sim" in subsim. hrmph!!! Guess they didn't see the shark mouth on Redfin.

I would have picked stragegic/role playing. Oh well...

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 11-25-07 at 01:56 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 05:46 PM   #254
Deerdiver
Watch

Default True...So true

Aaargh! A questionnaire that knows me better than I know myself. Casual simmer. I hang my head in shame
Deerdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 03:40 AM   #255
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39

NUKE SUBSIM SKIPPER
Periscopes are for wimps. Let's face it, any snapperhead can bring a WWII subsim to periscope depth, lock onto the red triangle and plug away. Real men never get closer than 8000 yards to their target. Your subsim of choice is made by a company in Waterford, Conn. You thrive on complex Target-Motion Analysis equations, deciphering broadband contacts, and gauging ESM signal strength. You are paler than Siberian stripper and proud of it. You long for the day you can take your Seawolf class nuke into an online game against a whole fleet of Type VIICs. One ADCAP equals "make my day".