SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-12, 12:08 AM   #1
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Default Battleship

I haven't seen any posts here about the recently released movie Battleship

Perhaps thats because i was the only one of you duped into seeing it (took some kids... thats my excuse).

overall - ok time waster / popcorn muncher / blowy things up flick if you are into the Micheal Bay type stuff (I'm not)

plot holes?

yes, several, each one larger than the pacific ocean itself.

Bernard was the naval adviser on this film... im convinced of it.

I wont ruin the ending for anyone of you unfortunate enough to go endure this flick. Given the nature of our group, suffice it to say we will all easily spot the inaccuracies of the film.

for example, here are a few:

Stoner alcoholic bar hopping jersey shore material moron joins navy as his last chance to clean up his act - cut and scene - next scene - whoa great job dude you made officer faster than anyone in navy history! way to go! - - - - - WHAT?! Im confused... at what point did he go from drooling drunk, to college grad, to OCS candidate etc??? all of this is omitted and the other "back story" scenes going on simultaneously make it seem like this all took place in about a month.

Running out of ships to fight the aliens with and discovering all the secondary armament on the USS Missouri is fully operational, locked and loaded with live rounds (oops, must have forgot to unload all that when she was set up as a museum) i wonder how many 12 year olds shat themselves when squeezing those triggers playfully and their cute "pew pew pew" noises were drowned out by loud - very real BANG BANG BANG sounds as 50 caliber tracers screamed past grandma's face? this is the sort of thing the navy doesnt forget when setting up a museum ship.

discovering 25 rounds of 16" HE stored on a museum ship in usable condition along with a supply of powder bags sufficient enough in number to fire all 25 rounds. NOT HAPPENING

4 guys picking up a 2200 lb 16" shell and carrying it from the aft turret to the forward turret in about 2 minutes. seriously... thats over 500 lbs per guy. maybe they were running on pure adrenaline.

Igniting the steam turbine boilers on the USS Missouri and 2 minutes later ordering ahead flank right at the pier. When i make crawfish in the 10 gallon pot... it takes like 2 hours to get the water bubbling. they had enough steam in several minutes to turn screws?

An officer - third in command of a ship in this case - after having been informed that the commander and XO were killed having to look to a petty officer to ask "who's in command now?" HE WOULD KNOW THAT!!!! YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT SIR!? WHO DID YOU SCREW FOR THIS JOB!?

Dropping port anchor at flank speed to "wake board" or "drift" (as in car racing if you will) the battleship into turning suddenly to bring the guns around faster.

All the destroyers sounding like Trans Ams with flowmaster exhaust. seriously, they went from dead stop to ahead flank and i was reminded of smokey and the bandit.

and after i've mentioned all that - the "Mighty Mo" the battleship for which the movie is named... makes an appearance for all of like 20 minutes at the very end of the movie.

skip it.

dismissed
Old 05-21-12, 12:47 AM   #2
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Thanks for being film fodder.

What about the video game?
Old 05-21-12, 01:38 AM   #3
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Advise taken GoldenRivet!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 03:06 AM   #4
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

My mate was rather foolish and took his son to see this and he said it was a load of "$^&*&^%$
Old 05-21-12, 03:47 AM   #5
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 3

Changing one letter in that movies title would make it much more appropriate
antikristuseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 05:30 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Thanks for the heads up John...you've now got my curiosity aroused

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 05:41 AM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Thanks, John, your review was probably more entertaining than the movie.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 05:49 AM   #8
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post

Running out of ships to fight the aliens with and discovering all the secondary armament on the USS Missouri is fully operational, locked and loaded with live rounds (oops, must have forgot to unload all that when she was set up as a museum) i wonder how many 12 year olds shat themselves when squeezing those triggers playfully and their cute "pew pew pew" noises were drowned out by loud - very real BANG BANG BANG sounds as 50 caliber tracers screamed past grandma's face? this is the sort of thing the navy doesnt forget when setting up a museum ship.

discovering 25 rounds of 16" HE stored on a museum ship in usable condition along with a supply of powder bags sufficient enough in number to fire all 25 rounds. NOT HAPPENING
Not in the Navy perhaps...but in the air force...

Quote:
RAF Scampton

In the late 1950s, as a preliminary to road widening work by Lincolnshire County Council, the gate guardian – then a Grand Slam bomb – had to be moved. Efforts to lift it with a small crane proved futile, as it was much heavier than expected. Upon closer examination, it was found to be still filled with live explosives. It was carefully removed on an RAF low loader and detonated on a test range. It is unclear how a live bomb managed to be put on display, but it seems that it was in place for well over a decade.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 05:50 AM   #9
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikristuseke View Post
Changing one letter in that movies title would make it much more appropriate
Cattleship?

Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 06:13 AM   #10
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
Igniting the steam turbine boilers on the USS Missouri and 2 minutes later ordering ahead flank right at the pier. When i make crawfish in the 10 gallon pot... it takes like 2 hours to get the water bubbling. they had enough steam in several minutes to turn screws?

All the destroyers sounding like Trans Ams with flowmaster exhaust. seriously, they went from dead stop to ahead flank and i was reminded of smokey and the bandit.
Hey it worked that way in the Silent Hunter games...

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 06:37 AM   #11
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Saw the ads saw it was bad decided to steer clear. Thanks for the review though just confirmed my thoughts on what I saw in the advert.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 06:55 AM   #12
Garion
Commander

Downloads: 34

I will watch it on DVD with beerz and cheesy biscuits.. Oh and popcorn to throw at the telly

Cheers

Garion
Garion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 07:21 AM   #13
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Thanks for taking one for the team. I think I will wait until it comes out on DvD and then not buy it.
Old 05-21-12, 06:19 PM   #14
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Ah good so I didn't miss anything during its run here in Australia. Thanks for the review GR. Glad I skipped it.

Tired of Hollywood's idea that any movie with military things needs Bay type explosions to sell itself.
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 07:06 PM   #15
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Being a total sucker for CGI Battleships, me and the wonderful girlfriend are going to see it this weekend in a double feature with Men In Black 3.

I plan on being very dissapointe---waittaminute, I'm going to see them in one of the last drive-in movie theaters in the midwest!

not so bad anymore
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote