SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-16, 02:48 PM   #1906
JuJu70
Seaman

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
I've just made for Italy and I'm making for Austro-Hungary
Cool, just let me know which ones you're planning to do, so we don't duplicate
JuJu70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-16, 04:59 PM   #1907
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Hi guys; yes there is news! I will soon finish replacing the Armoured Cruiser models that the hacker destroyed! These models are not complete but have various errors corrected from the old ships. Plus, in the game you will see the "monster" armoured cruisers HMS Minotaur, HMS Shannon, and HMS Defence - over 14,000 tons, Twelve (!) gun turrets, and as big as some battleships. Unfortunately for the British they were not very well armoured:

Last edited by iambecomelife; 09-25-16 at 05:07 PM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-16, 05:04 PM   #1908
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Note there are two models for "Duke of Edinburgh" and "Black Prince": One as built, with the 6" guns mounted low in the hull, and one as improved by 1915. By 1916 (when "Black Prince" was sunk), they had the casemates removed because the guns could not be used in rough weather....instead, 6 of the guns were mounted in shields on the main deck.

And thank you very much for the names and all the information you have provided!

Last edited by iambecomelife; 10-01-16 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-26-16, 12:56 AM   #1909
JuJu70
Seaman

iambecomelife,

that looks nice. but here is the question - the vast majority of ships destroyed were under 2000gt, so are you planning on including sailing vessels, fishing boats and the like?

Still need an answer on how to send the files to you
Old 09-26-16, 02:46 AM   #1910
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu70 View Post
iambecomelife,

that looks nice. but here is the question - the vast majority of ships destroyed were under 2000gt, so are you planning on including sailing vessels, fishing boats and the like?

Still need an answer on how to send the files to you

You can PM me the files as .txt or .cfg. And, yes, names for ships under 2,000 tons are OK. Thanks!
Old 09-26-16, 10:03 AM   #1911
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Unbelievable, IABL. Just amazing, creating whole navies and merchant fleets from nothing! No mod can compare with this one and it will be a privilege to play it one day.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-16, 07:47 PM   #1912
JuJu70
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
You can PM me the files as .txt or .cfg. And, yes, names for ships under 2,000 tons are OK. Thanks!
Will try. But what I meant - are you planning to include alot of low tonnage ships? Sailing vessels?
Old 10-01-16, 07:02 AM   #1913
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Will try. But what I meant - are you planning to include alot of low tonnage ships? Sailing vessels?
Yes, there will be many small ships.

Although the developers did great work on SH3, SH4, and SH5, I have never liked the excess of ships greater than 5,000 GRT; in my opinion it is too easy to get high tonnage. This becomes even more true for a WWI simulator - lots of sailing vessels & very small steamships would have been used in the Mediterranean and North Sea. Thanks for your work.

And a special thank you to Kaptain Oliver, who gave me very interesting info about air units - an interesting project for later!
Old 10-01-16, 10:46 AM   #1914
JuJu70
Seaman

Quote:
Yes, there will be many small ships.

Although the developers did great work on SH3, SH4, and SH5, I have never liked the excess of ships greater than 5,000 GRT; in my opinion it is too easy to get high tonnage. This becomes even more true for a WWI simulator - lots of sailing vessels & very small steamships would have been used in the Mediterranean and North Sea. Thanks for your work.

And a special thank you to Kaptain Oliver, who gave me very interesting info about air units - an interesting project for later!
Good to know. I will send you Swedish shipnames shortly
Old 10-02-16, 12:03 PM   #1915
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Good to know. I will send you Swedish shipnames shortly

Thank you.

FYI the images on the first page of this thread have been updated. Take a look if you are new to this thread.

The Monmouth class has been used for warship damage model testing; with some changes I will apply this DM to Leadtail's AC's too and other medium warships.....

If I'm not mistaken, this will be the first supermod where ships have real parts, and are not just empty shells. Tests have gone extremely well, and framerates are excellent on my old computer.

Boilers have been installed, and I get no flicker through the hull - woohoo!

For simplicity's sake only 3-4 sets of boiler drums will be modeled in a big ship..but when a ship is torpedoed, they leak steam and can explode/break loose if a ship has a structural failure. Adding new smoke/fire/steam/oil/blood is easy and fun (I know, blood is gross!) Anyways, I am thinking of other parts to model:

-Engines
-Oil Tanks
-Crew Quarters
-Steam Lines
-Magazines
-Shell Rooms

No stuttering, and I haven't even optimized the internal parts with visibility distance triggers. there is SO MUCH that can be done with the SH3/SH4 platform; it can really be pushed hard.

My inspirations are the "Firepower" and "Wings over Flanders Fields" CFS plane game mods. Both have vehicles with numerous internal parts, and many smoke/explosion effects showing what has been damaged.

"Duke of Edinburgh" and "Black Prince" are being skinned - very happy with these ships, and they are not even at full detail yet. Still an amateur at modeling historical ships, but I truly think the models are better than the ones destroyed by the virus.

A low polygon 3pdr gun is below - less than 2,000 vertices. This was the anti-Torpedo Boat armament for HMS "Black Prince", HMS "Duke of Edinburgh", HMS "Warrior", HMS "Natal", HMS "Cochrane", and HMS "Achilles".

These guns were unpopular, b/c they were too weak to sink destroyers quickly - to quote Conway, "The 3pdr guns were virtually useless as anti-torpedo weapons and their adoption in [DoE and Warrior Class ships] is inexplicable."

The "Monster Cruisers" HMS Minotaur, HMS Defence, and HMS Shannon were given better light guns.... 16 x 3-inch (12pdr) guns, instead of the weak 3pdr. Later Royal navy battleships and battlecruisers used even heavier guns as secondary armament - usually 4-inch or 6-inch.

In WOTK, you will see the 3pdr not just on cruisers, but as main armament for merchantmen, trawlers, drifters, launches, and other badly-armed ships early in the war. By 1917-1918, they will be phased out as more 3-inch and 4-inch guns become available.

My old gun version of this gun was very crude; this is still simple but hope you people like it.
Old 10-03-16, 09:36 PM   #1916
JuJu70
Seaman

iambecomelife,

Swedish ship names sent (660), hope that is enough.

I will do France next, let me know which countries you need
Old 10-04-16, 04:10 PM   #1917
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
iambecomelife,

Swedish ship names sent (660), hope that is enough.

I will do France next, let me know which countries you need
Thank you! I got your message and listed them. You can do France if you want, but we have a lot of French names already. The most badly needed now are Danish and Greek. Maybe Japanese too, since Japan fought with the Allies in WWI, and had several dozen ships sunk by U-Boats. After that, the non-British names list will be basically complete! I commend everyone who contributed - a great example of teamwork! Thanks again all.
Old 10-04-16, 04:25 PM   #1918
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Okay, next major need will be maps of the North Sea coast!

As mentioned earlier, I have no problem making destructible buildings for WOTK. The only issue is, I don't know where the coastal cities, towns, and villages were.

I do NOT need maps for Italy or Great Britain....Oliver has kindly helped out with Italy. And I don't need Britain because I just found out you can browse Ordnance Maps online for free (great!) If you don't know, Ordnance Maps were extremely detailed maps of England, Scotland, etc that show individual towns & farms - plus the coast.

I would like similar maps showing how big towns were, and where to place coastal towns/villages/cities for several countries:

-Denmark
-Norway
-Sweden
-France
-Belgium
-Spain
-Russia (?)

Yes, I know you can use Google Earth but I prefer working from traditional maps preferably showing 1900's Europe. And giving an idea of how big the town should be. I do not want to put a fishing village model where a big city goes.

Lastly, if anyone knows how to skin, I may have some French warship models from Leadtail for you.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-16, 04:41 PM   #1919
Starfighter24
Swabbie

Downloads: 85

I found some photos of Genova port around 1900. I'll continue the search. Hope this could help.

Starfighter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-16, 05:10 PM   #1920
JuJu70
Seaman

Quote:
Thank you! I got your message and listed them. You can do France if you want, but we have a lot of French names already. The most badly needed now are Danish and Greek. Maybe Japanese too, since Japan fought with the Allies in WWI, and had several dozen ships sunk by U-Boats. After that, the non-British names list will be basically complete! I commend everyone who contributed - a great example of teamwork! Thanks again all.
Ok, then Greek and Danish. How about Spanish?