SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-17, 02:51 PM   #1
m00d
Swabbie

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0
Default Question for THEBERBSTER about auto TDC tutorial.

Hi,

Thanks for all the great tutorials they have really helped me out.
I have a question about the following Auto TDC tutorial if you don't mind. I have not had a chance to try this yet so this may be a silly question. I can't stand the 3 circle method so I really want to understand this an hope to try it out tonight.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=146

On Picture 10 you say>
I have drawn out the targets course on the TAI Map and positioned the U-Boat at 90ᴼ by using the protractor.
Question: Is this necessary or did you do that for illustration purposes? I'm wondering if one could guesstimate the course and angle and just be close to 90 degrees with this method? Not that I won't draw it out as well I'm just wondering if this is mandatory for the auto tdc to find the correct tsl?

On this picture:
Picture 16 > Final check with the Space Bar unlocked.

Question: If I'm understanding correctly you unlock the space bar on the TAI map which will show the correct solution then fire from the periscope while the target is still locked on the scope?

If I understand this method correctly: Lock target on periscope, open TAI map lock target. At this point the TSL will be incorrect for moving targets. Next unlock target on TAI and the TSL will change to the correct solution for moving targets. Minimize TAI and Fire from periscope while target is still locked on scope but remains unlocked on TAI. Is this correct?

Thanks so much!
m00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 05:09 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi m00d
Quote:
On Picture 10 you say>
I have drawn out the targets course on the TAI Map and positioned the U-Boat at 90ᴼ by using the protractor.
No this is not essential with Auto TDC.
However you still need to have an angle where you are going to get a good impact.
For instance in manual targeting at 90 degrees you would adjust the 2 gyro angles until they were both pointing vertically.
You might be firing at x number degrees from 90 but your impact would be at 90 or close to it.
You need to know the targets speed and the speed of your torpedoes.

At ranges under 1000 metres the range is not important.
In Auto TDC any lock on and off the target will automatically update the TDC.
The greater your angle is to the targets course the bigger chance of a dud or your torpedo bouncing off.
In these situations you are better going for magnetic impact and setting the torpedo depth lower so it pass ender the hull with a larger impact area.

Quote:
Question: If I'm understanding correctly you unlock the space bar on the TAI map which will show the correct solution then fire from the periscope while the target is still locked on the scope?
Yes, when you lock on to a target the scope always goes to the centre of the target.
When you unlock the target the TDC will calculate that the impact will hit the target in the centre at the new position.
If you want to hit the target in a different position then just move the scope and watch where the torpedo track line is going.
You can see in the pictures the line that the torpedoes travel along.
When you move the scope that line will move accordingly meaning you can select where you want the impact to take place.
It is important to remember the longer the time before firing the bigger chance of a miss.

To answer your last question think of it like this.
Lock the target > spacebar.
Unlock the target > spacebar
Fire.

As soon as you unlock the target the periscope is free.
With Auto TDC the tube doors are automatically opened.
That is why it get s the 'arcade' tag of point and shoot.
There is really no skill involved as such once you have done it a couple of times.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 06:05 PM   #3
m00d
Swabbie

Downloads: 63

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the MagUI so I'll have to flood the tubes manually even on auto tdc unless I'm mistaken. I'll try this tonight, hopefully it will work on the MagUI. I'll report my results. Last night I used manual tdc on MagUI with Sjizzle megamod and sunk a couple of merchants, but they were stationary. I'll keep working on a hybrid system of auto and manual until I finally get the hang of manual. I've got to learn how much to lead them on manual tdc.

Thanks!
m00d is offline   Reply With Quote