SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-14, 04:31 AM   #931
ricnunes
Watch

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Hello,

I've been trying to download this mod (FOTRS) but the link is broken and I cannot seem to find this mod in any other site. Actually I found the v1.2 of this mod in an another site but I cannot find v1.3!

Could someone help me and point me where I could download v1.3 of this mod or perhaps send it to me? I would really appreciate, thanks in advance.
ricnunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 10:24 AM   #932
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
SHO

I couldn't download it either link is dead and I think fotrs is dead too not sure haven't heard from maddy in a long time.

Lt Cmdr Lare
Lt commander lare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 10:25 AM   #933
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
SHO

He released the german verison of the new updated mod but not for English now you cant download any version of the mod from here.

Lt Cmdr Lare
Lt commander lare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 09:18 AM   #934
ricnunes
Watch

Actually I found a place where this mod (version 1.3) can be downloaded from:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/files...sh4v1.5_en.rar

Installed it and it's working fine.

However and to be honest I'm not enjoying how the AI for the destroyers is working in the mod since the enemy destroyers can too easily and unrealistically detect my sub! For example, they can detect me if I'm rigged for silent running and below a thermal layer - No way a WWII Japanese destroyer could detect a sub in such conditions!! I found that running without being silent and at Flank speed below a Thermal layer is actually easier since my sub is as easily detectable (being silent or Flank, doesn't matter) but at least I have some chances of evading enemy Destroyers and their depth charges!
Besides, those Japanese destroyers can engage me with depth charges even if I'm below 250 feet or at 300 feet which again is unrealistic since the Japanese depth charges were set to explode at a maximum depth of 200 feet (Japanese didn't think that any sub could dive deeper than 200 feet) and thus this is being a very frustrating gameplay and I honestly I prefer the stock SH4 Ai for destroyer much more since unrealistic stuff like this doesn't happen.

However I enjoy this mod since it gives the US side a correct list of airplanes (no more Lancaster Bombers as the only patrol and bomber, adds Wildcats, B-24s, P-38s, Catalinas, etc...) and from what I read it also reduces the number of Japanese air patrols during the campaign which is also a great thing!
So what I would like is to be able to play with this mod BUT using the stock AI for Destroyers, is this possible? If yes, how?

Thanks in advance for any replies...
Old 05-21-14, 11:24 AM   #935
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricnunes View Post

However and to be honest I'm not enjoying how the AI for the destroyers is working in the mod since the enemy destroyers can too easily and unrealistically detect my sub! For example, they can detect me if I'm rigged for silent running and below a thermal layer - No way a WWII Japanese destroyer could detect a sub in such conditions!! I found that running without being silent and at Flank speed below a Thermal layer is actually easier since my sub is as easily detectable (being silent or Flank, doesn't matter) but at least I have some chances of evading enemy Destroyers and their depth charges!
Besides, those Japanese destroyers can engage me with depth charges even if I'm below 250 feet or at 300 feet which again is unrealistic since the Japanese depth charges were set to explode at a maximum depth of 200 feet (Japanese didn't think that any sub could dive deeper than 200 feet) and thus this is being a very frustrating gameplay and I honestly I prefer the stock SH4 Ai for destroyer much more since unrealistic stuff like this doesn't happen.

However I enjoy this mod since it gives the US side a correct list of airplanes (no more Lancaster Bombers as the only patrol and bomber, adds Wildcats, B-24s, P-38s, Catalinas, etc...) and from what I read it also reduces the number of Japanese air patrols during the campaign which is also a great thing!
So what I would like is to be able to play with this mod BUT using the stock AI for Destroyers, is this possible? If yes, how?

FOTRS 13 is based on TMO 1.7 (if I remember it well). TMO ever had very hard destroyers (unrealistic for me but challenging). You can try the TMO Easier AI mod (it is for TMO but works with FOTRS).

If you wish a more realistic approach (but easier) try RFB with RSRDC. It's my preference of course.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 01:49 PM   #936
ricnunes
Watch

Thanks for the reply fitzcarraldo

Does RFB with RSRDC mods add new planes (and other objects) like FOTRS does?

In the meanwhile I will try the TMO Easier AI mod but I do have a question on how I should play with that mod together with FOTRS:
- Do I run both FOTRS and TMO Easier AI mods at the same time (using JSGME) or do I copy and override the TMO Easier AI files over the FOTRS files?
Old 05-21-14, 03:34 PM   #937
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219

Quote:
Thanks for the reply fitzcarraldo

Does RFB with RSRDC mods add new planes (and other objects) like FOTRS does?

In the meanwhile I will try the TMO Easier AI mod but I do have a question on how I should play with that mod together with FOTRS:
- Do I run both FOTRS and TMO Easier AI mods at the same time (using JSGME) or do I copy and override the TMO Easier AI files over the FOTRS files?
RFB (or TMO) have the ships and planes of RSRDC. Not all the included in FOTRS.

With JSGME enable the TMO Easier AI. It overwrites the AI sensors file of FOTRS.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 05:21 AM   #938
ricnunes
Watch

Once again, thanks for the reply Fitzcarraldo.

Actually and by following your suggestion I found an alternative way to tune the AI which is to edit the 'sim.cfg' file and by editing this file I'm finally starting to have a realistic (and easier at the same time) gameplay experience in SH4.
Old 05-26-14, 03:32 AM   #939
driver
Swabbie

Downloads: 19

Quote:

I just downloaded the mod and it's crashing the sh4 after it loads the game. Its the only active file in JSGME. Is anything I am doing wrong?
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 09:58 AM   #940
boonie
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 101

hi,
Does anyone know if the author planning to update FOTRS v2 to an English version?
boonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 03:15 PM   #941
kvbrock82
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 240

I've got a question about convoys guys..

I'm trying to get my skills up to scratch but Im just not having any luck with manual convoy targeting. I have no problems at all doing the single ship tutorial, but I just cant get into position with the convoy tutorial because the convoys always decide to take some unnatural shift in bearing, sometimes almost turning 180 degrees to go back, then 90 degrees left, 90 degrees again.. To be honest Im not perfectly sure if they are pulling evasive tactics or if the AI is bugging out?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Brock
kvbrock82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 02:36 AM   #942
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I can only think of two explanations:

1. The convoy has detected you, and is trying to evade.

2. The convoy is a task force, and is sailing around 'on station'.

I had the 2nd one happen to me. Normally we expect ships to be transiting from point A to point B, but with military traffic, this is not always going to be the case.

Was the "convoy" a task force?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 08:34 AM   #943
kvbrock82
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 240

Hi TorpX,

Its just the convoy tutorial mission which consists of a few merchants a couple of destroyers.. Im basically just heading north and diving as soon as visual is confirmed and dropping speed to slow.

I dont think i was compromised as none of the destroyers were acting suspicious and were miles off, no pinging, nothing.

Then most of the convoy changed course by from SW to NE and started acting weird, while the lead destroyer and one merchant just cut the throttle and remained stationary, perhaps maintaining a 1 knot slight long turn.

I dont know what to make of it..

Last edited by kvbrock82; 07-12-14 at 10:03 AM.
kvbrock82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 08:20 PM   #944
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

That could explain it. I don't know specifically about your tutorial mission, but some of the stock tutorials are poorly designed.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 04:32 AM   #945
Gibus
Ensign

Downloads: 42

Bonjour,

It is possible that the route of the convoy is programmed so.
You can have confirmation with the mission editor.

Otherwise, you've been spotted, one way or another ... They went on standby until you make a mistake.
What is the wind speed?

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote