SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-06-14, 10:34 AM   #1
Joe Bob
Watch

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
Default Odd encounter

Last night I had an encounter with a Japanese destroyer that I can't figure out.
I was heading north in the East China Sea when I detected an east bound ship on radar.
I calculated a speed of 5 knots and set up for a stern shot.
I never did get any sound contact, I don't know why, perhaps it was because the sea was a bit rough.
Anyway, as it moves into view I am surprised to see it is a destroyer, I had assumed since it was moving so slowly that it was a merchant. I had two tubes with MK 14s and two with cuties. Had I known it was a destroyer I probably would have made a bow approach with the Mk 18s. Anyway, I decided to fire a cutie and after a delay the two Mk 14s.
As the Mk 14s left the tubes the destroyer fired star shells.

Since I had received a lengthy pasting from a hunter killer team the day before, I wasted little time in going deep expecting more of the same.
arriving at 300 feet I heard nothing but the torpedo sounds.
Since this was the first and only cutie I have fired I decided to go to camera mode and see what was happening. The destroyed had not moved that I could tell, it was stationary looking perfectly healthy.

During my deep dive I got two "torpedo missed" announcements in quick succession which I assume were the Mk14s but continued to hear another torpedo for some time after before getting the final "torpedo missed"
The point being, the cutie did not knock out propulsion (or any thing else)

Back on board I decided to make a lengthy circle and have a look from the opposite side of my attack. Hours later I did a periscope search and located it perhaps 100 yards from the position of my original attack, still stationary with search lights blazing. I made a slow approach and fired a spread of Mk 18s from 2400 yards. which sank the destroyer.

I find it difficult to figure out why the destroyer stayed stationary, especially for so long. If it is assumed that they were having sound difficulties, as I was, then why not go active or just leave at high speed?
Is there some way it knew I had Mk 27s ? Once a destroyer is is alerted I don't imagine the slow 27 is much of a threat.

Hey, it's a destroyer kill and I'll take that any day, I just found it a bit weird.
Joe Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 12:33 AM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

You didn't say if you are playing stock, or what mods you might use.

Other than having a low crew rating, the only thing I can say is that they have to go slow, or stay still to listen well.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote