SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-11-12, 02:28 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Battle of the Philippine Sea(screenshots)

TMO 2.5
RSRD
Balao Class USS Scabbardfish, first patrol.Assigned to Operation Forager(invasion of the Marianna Islands)

Arrived in patrol area 15 June, had boring days except for one IJN bomber than got close but did not spot us.Around 0430 on 19 June 1944, radar made contact, soon the scope lit up, obviously had a large TF or convoy.Judging by the speed they were moving, task force Jockeyed for position and was preparing to dive around 0840 when suddenly a large mass of planes began heading out from the TF's position, seems they were launching their air raids(had never been around when the planes spawned, didnt think they would when I was close) this forced me to dive and await their departure.When I was able to surface 10 minutes later, the TF had changed course, I surfaced and went ahead flank, again trying to get into the right position.Finally around noon, I was set up.I dove ahead of the TF and went int at 500 feet, slipping past the screening destroyers ahead,I came back to scope depth and began searching for my targets, I soon spotted a heavy cruiser and then a Battleship in the distance but then I spotted a fleet carrier, unfortunately I was a bit far off and out of position but figured given her distance, I would have time to get into position, so went deep and came about.After 10 minute run at 500 feet and ahead flank, I came back to scope depth, my plot showed I would be withing 2800-3500 yards when the carrier passed ahead, not bad, perhaps with a nice spread of torpedoes I could bag her, so I went to ahead feet and ahead 2/3, much as a I dared as a DD was back on scene.Came back to scope depth, carrier with close enough to ID now, she the Taiho

Plot showed her making 12 knots, entered data into TDC, readied all tubes.Taiho's course had changed a bit and would be further away than first plot showed, I went back to 100 feet and sped up, decided to risk it with the DD around.Fortunately had a little chop in the seas and some wind, believe it helped mask my noise.After a few minutes I came back to scope depth, I would be able to fire at about 2400 yards, not bad.Soon the big carrier filled my scope and I fired a spread of six fish, 10 seconds apart, coverage all along her starboard side.Waiting seemed to take forever.Suddenly I heard a klaxon sound and pinging began, I raised my scope, the DD I had been worried about spotted the torpedo wakes and began heading my way, fast. torpedoes were on track, even if the carrier tried to evade, 2-4 should hit no problem.The DD was now close, I ordered a dive to 600 feet.Just as we passed 130 feet, torpedo impact! all six hit! We continued downed.Some depth charges rained down, a few close ones but no damage.Soon I was at 600 feet and making a get away.Before long I heard secondary explosions and then one massive one.A few minutes later, crew informed me she had sunk

Some screen shots:
Some shots I took.The far off ones are from the deck of a IJN cruiser in the distance, the fireball is visible after the large explosion before she sank.

Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 03:35 PM   #2
Soviet Creeper
Planesman

Downloads: 143
Uploads: 0

Good kill there. Looked like it was fun. It my present carrer Im running around the solomons, trying to find some of those jap BBs that are about. probably wont think anything with 4 mark 10s, but Itll be fun
Old 05-11-12, 04:22 PM   #3
Loudspeaker
Bosun

Downloads: 56

Nice shots there, bubble

Just slow down the BB's, SovietCreeper, and then take them out with your guns. On second thought... Maybe not.
Loudspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 06:09 PM   #4
MKalafatas
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 30

Great patrol report and screenshots. Really fun read. Wish more of us would do this.
Old 05-11-12, 06:46 PM   #5
Soviet Creeper
Planesman

Downloads: 143

Actully, one time in stock I had a fuso BB sitting without its engines. I surfaced bout 6000 yards from it so it wouldnt shoot me and deck gunned it. Sadly, deck guns do no damage to battleships. 200 shells later he hadnt sunk an inch

I have long since moved to RFB, and have never encountered a never sinking never moving BB
Old 05-11-12, 10:17 PM   #6
MarkCt
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 45

Really cool pictures. I like the one from the deck of the other ship. Like watching the movie Midway.
MarkCt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 01:00 AM   #7
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

You should put them in the Screenshot and Video thread! Very nice pics!

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote