SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-10, 08:18 AM   #1
AngusJS
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0
Default Reformatting a partition

I have Windows XP on one partition of my hard drive, and my games on another. If I reformat my Windows partition and reinstall Windows, will that break my games, requiring that they be reinstalled as well, or will they be ok?

Thanks
AngusJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 08:25 AM   #2
jumpy
Admiral

Downloads: 22

I'd assume that unless you delete the partition(s) during the re-install of the os, you'll be ok just formatting the partition. I don't know if your games and such will still work after reinstalling windows - there'd be some registry problems there surely?

I have two hard-drives - C for OS and programs. E for data/files. Makes life easier as you can backup all critical data before the old windows mantra 'format, reinstall'

when you’ve been so long in the desert, any water, no matter how brackish, looks like life

jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 10:42 AM   #3
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Depends on the game. Most games should be ok - though you may lose stuff like your savegames (often kept under my documents). Others require registry entries to function, and will break. Its really a crapshoot with every game.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 10:58 AM   #4
AngusJS
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 62

Is there a way to copy those parts of the registry and put them back in after I reinstall Windows?
AngusJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 11:20 AM   #5
Pappy55
Engineer

Downloads: 173

It's touch and go...

In my honest openion you would be better off formatting both drives and starting from scratch, Of course you will have to backup patches and save games first.
Old 03-24-10, 04:44 PM   #6
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Angus - is there a way to do it? Yes.

The problem is there isn't a GOOD way to do it.

Unless you use an application that monitors software installs (and thus can show you what keys were entered) - you would have to manually go through the registry and export all the needed keys. For each game your looking at anywhere from 1-30 registry keys - hidden among a couple of hundred thousand. And if you miss one that is critical - its reinstall time.

Best bet is to just save all your games - and mods (use JSGME!!!) and go clean and then reinstall. If you have a slew of games it may take a while but its better in the long run.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 04:52 AM   #7
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

You could try Nortons Ghost. Make an exact image of your windows installation games included then copy that image back onto the clean drive. No point though if your deleting windows for reasons its corrupt or rather.

As for the backup game registry I would try it, works for some games.

You just need to copy from HKEY_CURRENT_USER & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - look for the game folders (eg Ubisoft folder) and export the folder to a safe place. After your new install of windows import them back in to the registry by just double clicking on them.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote