SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-28-21, 03:18 PM   #256
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Santa Cruz County coastline where the heavy front is coming ashore was devastated in the recent fires. ie: CZU Lightning Complex Fire zone which burned simultaneously mwith the Sonoma/Napa conflagrations. currently the evacuation map in my old real estate appraisal turf- as of today:
Quote:
Red shows areas under evacuation orders as of 4:45 p.m. Jan. 27. Orange shows areas under evacuation warnings and blue, areas under advisory. Click on image for updated map.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 08:09 PM   #257
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default AS EXPECTED: OOOPS

HWY1 slide at Rat Creek has caused the road closure along the the precipitous Big Sur Coastline...this will be no simple repair.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 01-30-21, 05:28 PM   #258
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

...and, in an act of exceptional optimism, it is now reported the State has allocated the sum of USD $5 Million to make the repair...

<O>
Old 08-06-21, 10:46 AM   #259
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Californians are suffering from this years Fire season. In today's paper, the entire town of Greenville in the Sierra Nevada hills of northern CA has burned in what has been named the Dixie Fire. Burning in rugged country since July 21, the blaze has consumed 504 square miles(1305 sq. kilometres) and is the 6th largest fire in state history. 5, 000 firefighters are on hand and so far 26,500 persons are evacuated so far. No reports of deaths or injury so far. 100 miles to the south is the River Fire near Colfax; 4 sq miles burned and 6,000 evacuated. 150 miles to the west, is the lightning-sparked McFarland Fire: 7% contained having consumed 33 sq. miles of drought stricken vegetation. Nationwide, more than 20,000 firefighters are battling 97 large active wildfires in 13 states, covering 2,919 sq. miles(7560 sq kilometres)!!?? https://abcnews.go.com/US/control-wi...ry?id=79290769

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-06-21 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-06-21, 07:10 PM   #260
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Correction Aktung the Dixie fire in California is now the third largest in the states history

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 11:12 PM   #261
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default It begins again

A small fire started yesterday in the steep Soda Canyon area just north of Napa(5 miles from Aktung Manor) and has spread to 500+ acres with mandatory evacuations. Winds are threat Containment is a 15% presently

Old 06-02-22, 11:35 AM   #262
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

containment is now at 45%

Old 06-02-22, 07:16 PM   #263
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

I don't have any more words to add. Prayers for you and everyone else there, and for the firefighters working.
Old 06-02-22, 11:46 PM   #264
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
containment is now at 45%

Stay safe Mister! Do you have an evac plan ready?
Old 06-03-22, 01:40 AM   #265
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
/\true that! 2017's mess: It came down to cat food/kitty litter, wife's jewelry, hygiene products,wedding photos, passports and clean skivies for three days of pending evacuation if the winds shifted...all in the
best two cars parked in the driveway as the power is out to the garage door, (which killed 4 people trapped in their garages!) Long garden hoses 'X' across the roof for spritzing any wind-bourne hot ash showers. At 67 I've got too much damn crap anyhow!
Always! grab the underwear drawer, BP and statin meds, catfood, cat, wife's jewlery, my service Beretta, favorite watch, wedding photos, chequebook with passport & vaccination card, clamber into the Subaru and bugout ....to the end of the block; then turn back, pick up wife and turn off the gas meter with $5 meter-wrench which sits atop the meter and has been used in two previous earthquakes to turn off the neighbors' meters. At age 71, all the excess crap and house can go up in smoke...and I can move to Reno!EDIT:evacs are lifted and the fire is 45% contained...

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-03-22 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Upgrade on fire containment
Old 06-03-22, 02:11 AM   #266
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
then turn back, pick up wife

I laughed way too hard about this
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-22, 11:22 AM   #267
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

/\keeping one's humor in earthquake/fire ravaged California is essential. Notably, on the the first 2AM quake (2000)that destroyed my chimney, epicentered 5.2 Richterwise just 500 yards from my home, depressed the ladies in my my neighborhood considerably....the second 3AM quake(2014 6.0 Richterwise) which really wracked downtown Napa(killing 1) but only rattled my house merely elicited: "I just want a cup of coffee" from my neighbor German-born hausfrau, as I promptly wheeled out the Webber BBQ to start caffeinated brewing in the driveway-the electricity also being out. Cleanup can always wait untill I've had a cuppa joe! The ongoing Napa fire, now dubbed the Old Fire, is up to 570 acres and is 65% contained. One firefighter was sent to the hospital from an undisclosed injury. Since January, there have been 5 fires all over California: Colorado Fire-687 acres; Airport Fire-4136 acres; Jim Fire-551 acres; Quail Fire-135 acres; and the River Fire-595 acres...and the season is young... EDIT: in addition to the $40K chimney, during the 2018 remodel of my house,(2 baths, kitchen, roof, patios/driveway) it was discovered that the rear stucco had also suffered in the 2000 'quake; and added another $8K to the pricey project!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-04-22 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-03-22, 11:39 AM   #268
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

The sheer size of wildfires in the US and in Australia never cease to baffle me. The largest forest fire in my home country was the Lüneburg Heath fire in 1975, and it destroyed "only" about 30 square miles of forest (albeit in an area fare more densely populated than the US and Australia).

Still, I wish you all the best. Stay safe.
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-22, 12:04 PM   #269
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

The Old Fire is now at 85% containment ie "mop up" phase. PGE electric lines are being investigated as possible cause. We're blessed: it's been steadily drizzling since last night solidly wetting the county...putting a serious damper on the fire, now a minor thing; & good for the drought ...and I don't have to mow the lawn!

Old 08-05-22, 11:17 AM   #270
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Ongoing fires

The latest fire in CA is well underway. Dubbed the McKinney Fire, in northernmost Siskiyu County at the Oregan border, it has consumed 88 square miles and over 200 homes killing 4 people-2 found in their vehicle while attempting to flee. The entire unincorprated hamlet of Klamath River was destroyed by the raging inferno. Bulldozers in exceedingly rugged terrain have managed to contain the the blaze by 10%. Monsoon clouds and minor showers are having a damper effect; brief but heavy showers from thunder storms help but are tapering off. Lightning strikes in bone dry drought condition are believed to have started the conflagration. The Oak Fire, started 7/22 in Mariposa County near Yosemite National Forest is still ongoing, having consumed 193 homes and 20,000 acres. No fatalities; evacuations; lifted and containment is 81%. Fortunately, this blaze with shifty mtn. winds causing misery in rugged terrain , has moved the blaze northward; into the previous burn-scars from 2019's Briceburg fire and 2018's Ferguson fire, which provides a reduced fuel effect... Monsoon precipitation or reduced fuel-It's all to the good for overworked fire crews. God bless 'em

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-05-22 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Keeping this hot thread going!

Tags
california, wild fires