SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-20-09, 11:42 AM   #301
cawimmer430
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2222 View Post
cawimmer430
If it's the starforce downloads you want then follow trojanfoe's advice.

If it's a starforce free SH3 full game download then type 'steam' into google and take it from there.
I believe there may be a small issue with this download covered by another thread.

There is a starforce free edition of the game available from the Subsim US store. Unfortunately this is not available through Subsim's UK store link.
And the best of luck!
U2222
Nice info. Thanks.
cawimmer430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 02:09 AM   #302
maltesenick
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 6
Can't load GWX 3.0?

Hi guys, first post from an absolute novice both with a PC and the technicalities of gaming. Got SH3 and fell in love with it. Now trying to upgrade but being stymied on various fronts. I'm running Vista Home Premium on a dell Dimension E520 with 3GB memory.. Bought the PC DVD-ROM UK version ( ref ESS632/D ? on spine of case.) When I try to run the various update progs I get :-" This prog can't update the installed version of SH3 EMEA DVD v1.0 for the following reasons c:\Silent HunterIII\anim.act:unknown version "
Also having problems with GWX 3.0 when I get told that the version of SH3 I am running has mods yet it is a fresh install straight off DVD ( and is on c: drive and not in program files as recommended.) Any sort of help couched in short words aimed at a PC incompetent who needs pointed to the correct buttons etc would be welcomed.

Nick
maltesenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 08:51 PM   #303
beartooth91
Loader

Downloads: 21
Default It Doesn't Work For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWBOY10 View Post
Ok guys here we go, after a few hours of playing this is what i discovered. There is a problem with starforce and vista when you try and update game, hence why the patch dosnt work. However if you follow the instructions i'm about to give then you can get it to work.

1. Install Sh3 and play once.
2. Download starforce update tool.
3. Update Starforce.
4. Deinstall Sh3
5. Reinstall SH3 (not sure why but it works )
6. Patch to 1.4b ( The game should be upgraded by now )
7. Upgrade to GWX ( if you want, although not sure why anyone wouldnt )
Ok, this isn't working for me. I'm running Vista Home Premium x64. The stock game installs, however, upon launching the 1st time I get the "Protection System" Error saying that it'll only launch with Win 95/OS/98/ME/2003/XP. So I can't get it to launch at all after 1st installed as in Step 1, above. Running the Star Force update gives me a pop-up window saying "No installed protection drivers found to update". Interestingly enough, the 1.4b patch seems to install, but, again, I get the same protection error when trying to launch. I did try uninstalling, then reinstalling - same result.

I've been playing SH4 for a couple of years now. I've never played SH3. I bought the DVD last year and never tried to play until now.
Does someone have a solution or did I waste the $$ ?

Thanks
beartooth91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 03:02 PM   #304
beartooth91
Loader

Well, after several attempts, I finally did get it to run with Vista Home Premium x64. I'd love to post a detailed step by step for others to use, but, I'm afraid I might get banned for what I had to do to get it to run.
Old 11-09-09, 04:14 PM   #305
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth91 View Post
Well, after several attempts, I finally did get it to run with Vista Home Premium x64. I'd love to post a detailed step by step for others to use, but, I'm afraid I might get banned for what I had to do to get it to run.
On my Vista Home Premium 64bit it runs just like that, install, launch and voila. Strange indeed.
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 06:37 PM   #306
beartooth91
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd_von_Mumit View Post
On my Vista Home Premium 64bit it runs just like that, install, launch and voila. Strange indeed.
I hear there are SH3 editions out that are not Star Force protected (the SH2+SH3 Encore edition comes to mind). Perhaps you have one of those.
Old 11-09-09, 08:22 PM   #307
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth91 View Post
I hear there are SH3 editions out that are not Star Force protected (the SH2+SH3 Encore edition comes to mind). Perhaps you have one of those.
That's the answer, yes. I use a localized edition which doesn't use the SF thingy. Disregard what I wrote above then.
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 07:01 AM   #308
U443
Seaman

Downloads: 0

If you have SH3 Via Steam to beat the Starforce rubbish how do you put Mods on?
U443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 10:35 AM   #309
janusx
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 9
Default Update to 1.4b will not word

Hi im new here, but play the game SH3 for some years now, never updated it, but now i want to do that, i heard that menny of you have StarForce that protects SH3 and also can update SH3.
I tried everything but i can not disover a StarForce file on my intire pc ?
So i still can't update to 1.4b because of the missing .dll

Maby some one have a sollution ?
My version DVD is 1.401

Greetz, Ramon
janusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 09:37 AM   #310
-=WELO=-
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

ok guys to tell you i downloaded the starforce protection ..... and installed it it told me your starforce protection cant be updated coz you have the lastest version .... so i thought lets try the patch 1.4 b it told me bla bla en_menu.txt or what not has unknown version so cut it out of program files/silent hunter III/bla/bla .... and i went to update it again ... it worked !!! then I pasted the file i cut out from there back where it was ... installed GWX 3.0 and it worked !! i didnt have to reinstall the game or anything .... only thing you need after you install the 1.4 b patch is a 1.4b crack which you can found at www.gamecopyworld.com ... hope i helped you
-=WELO=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 03:01 AM   #311
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152

I bought my Silent Hunter III from this store :

http://www.focusmm.co.uk

Comes on DVD, patched to 1.4b and no Starforce.

Did cost me less than 10 euro.
Gilbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 08:44 AM   #312
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Since Windows7 is basically Vista without many of the mistakes inherent in Vista, all the problems listed above are covered in the thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=105144
Moderator: please consider renaming the sticky "Vista and Windows7." install suggestions.
Old 04-11-10, 07:29 AM   #313
Akula
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 56

Anyone else having issues with getting the hi-res fix to work under Vista?

I can load up to the loading screen just past the intro videos the it crashes with a message saying SH3 stopped working. I have the two files (d9d.cfg and d9d.dll) in the root directory of SH3.

Any ideas?
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 09:35 AM   #314
CybaGirl
Sailor Gal

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
Anyone else having issues with getting the hi-res fix to work under Vista?

I can load up to the loading screen just past the intro videos the it crashes with a message saying SH3 stopped working. I have the two files (d9d.cfg and d9d.dll) in the root directory of SH3.

Any ideas?
I have an issue where it just doesn't work period! I have the files inside my SilentHunterIII directory and the game loads fine. But I don't get any changes in the way of the resolution being higher. The screen seems to be still at 1024 x 768 or whatever the resolution is.

The only difference I notice is that I can move my mouse off the screen and when moving it back it takes a while before it comes back into view. This happens at the bottom of the screen and to the right of the screen.

So those d9d files have done something. Just that the game screen itself is not in a higher resolution for some reason.

BTW I am trying to get it to display in 1680 x 1050. I even went back to 800 x 600 and thats how I came across the mouse movement as it would only move inside an 800 x 600 sized area on the menu of the game.
CybaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 12:23 AM   #315
Vann
Watch

Downloads: 17

ok havent read all pages.. maybe was posted before a fix..

but running here original SH3 dvd in Vista x64bits perfectly fine..with the lastest 1.4b patch and GWX 3.0 mod at 1280x1024 resolution. could be at any resolution but monitor cant.

starforce protection dont work on 64bit OS.. so u need to use the removal starforce tool. available on their starforce protection site...

-download SFREMOVE
http://www.star-force.com/support/drivers/

-intall the game..
-disconect ur DVD drive? (not sure if this step is really necessary)
-patch to the latest game patch.. 1.4b.. for DVD US version.
-use the starforce protection removal tool.. made by starforce developers.
-use the SH3 no-DVD 1.4b patch.. "rld-sh14" (or the version for ur CD/DVD that apply) google it.. about 5 files.. in the patch.. that replace the original ones..
-go to SH3 instalation forder... right click on SH5.exe and choose compatibilty.. to run in windows_Xp mode.
-done

btw.. found that info in Ubisoft and microsoft support forums..

to run the game at ANY resolution..
from another thread

Here's how:
download... DX9res v1.0
http://www.kegetys.net/misc/
place the 2 files D3d9.cfg ,D3d9.dll on ur game instalation..
u can scan them .. with any antivirus they are clean.. but could
trigger abit later a false alarm when used with the compatibilty toolkit because
they modify the way this game runs.. (ie.. a resolution not supported by the original game)
its ok..

u need to open the file d3d9.cfg with a notepad and edit manually the resolution u want..

u might need also to do the following.. that utility dont work with services pack2.

Quote:

Download and install the Application Compatibility Toolkit from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

After it is installed, on the start menu, go to "All Programs/Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.5" and run the Compatibility Administrator.

When the program opens, make sure New Database is highlighted under Custom Databases, and click the Fix button.

In the "Name of program to be fixed" box, type SH3. Now, click the browse button, and select the sh3.exe in your SH3 install directory.

Click Next.

Under "Operating System Modes" select None.

Click Next.

In the "Compatibility Fixes" box, check DelayDLLInit, and click the Parameters button.
In the "Command Line" box, type d3d9.dll and click OK. (You can click the "Test Run" button to make sure it is working.)

Click Next.

Click Finish.

Click the Save button, name it SH3, and click OK.

On the File menu, select Install.

Close the Compatibilty Administrator.

Enjoy SH3.

Sartori23

after all that u should be playing Sh3 in any vista x64 or windows7 x64 version.. at any resolution.. should work for x32 versions..

Last edited by Vann; 05-20-10 at 01:13 AM.
Vann is offline   Reply With Quote