SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-09, 07:20 AM   #256
trojanfoe
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

I have it working with Windows 7 x64 without any special files from Ubisoft, so I'm guessing it will also work with Vista x64 (perhaps a big assumption). See my earlier post (3 posts up from this one).

Cheers,
Andy
Old 09-03-09, 08:43 AM   #257
Otto Von Larnie
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanfoe View Post
I have it working with Windows 7 x64 without any special files from Ubisoft, so I'm guessing it will also work with Vista x64 (perhaps a big assumption). See my earlier post (3 posts up from this one).

Cheers,
Andy
I cant even run SH3! before the game even begins to load It comes up with the disk checking thing and then thats it! error message saying it is only compatible with certain OS's! my previous quote was made in response to someone who described my problem to the last word and so I believe that to be the best fix!

thanks any way!

PS unrelated I know but where to get the complete download for GWX3 gold I followed the link on the GWX site and... no Dice!
Old 09-03-09, 10:42 AM   #258
trojanfoe
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Von Larnie View Post
I cant even run SH3! before the game even begins to load It comes up with the disk checking thing and then thats it! error message saying it is only compatible with certain OS's! my previous quote was made in response to someone who described my problem to the last word and so I believe that to be the best fix!

thanks any way!

PS unrelated I know but where to get the complete download for GWX3 gold I followed the link on the GWX site and... no Dice!
I couldn't even run SH3 either; follow what I did and it will work, I'm sure. The problem with the "Protection System" you mention can only be resolved by using the No-CD Patch (available from a website I'm sure the forum rules prohibit me from referencing).

WRT GWX 3.0; I downloaded it via torrent - I can't remember where I got it from, but it's in somone's signature on this site...
Old 09-04-09, 01:14 PM   #259
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanfoe
GWX 3.0; I downloaded it via torrent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionary74 View Post
and?
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 01:21 PM   #260
Otto Von Larnie
Swabbie

ok tried following your suggested steps today and yesterday, and still no luck! as I said before the original quote was made in reference to my exact problem down to the last detail! I have contacted Ubi and hopefully they send me the file, If they do I will try to host it somewhere so that it can then be easily downloaded by future users! thanks for advice tho!

I have found torrents but they all come in parts, I was looking for 1 file like that on the GWX team site! I will Keep searching!

AGAIN UNRELATED BUT I saw SH4 in a shop today but didnt have any money on me, any verdicts? From what I've read I don't think it will be as good as SH3!
Old 09-04-09, 01:29 PM   #261
Otto Von Larnie
Swabbie

Quote:
I, being a heavy torrenter myself, warn you not to speak of torrents on this site

I learned the hard"er" way
meaning what?... I know well enough not post addys or anything on the boards but still!

and how hard"er" was it?
Old 09-04-09, 01:31 PM   #262
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
I learned that mentioning that will get you banned
Mentioning GWX-torrent, which was and probably still is one of the official ways of distributing the mod?
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 01:37 PM   #263
Otto Von Larnie
Swabbie

just found a good one! ...downloading! that way when I get SH3 set again I will be good to go straight away!
Old 09-05-09, 01:44 AM   #264
Von Talon
A-ganger

Downloads: 67

I reinstalled SH3, then used the update tool and then run SH3. It asked the Cd-code and then it worked.

I have Vista laptop, and SH3 works correctly, but when I am at external views, bridge or commandroom, I get ony 3 FPS. In navigation map, even if I have 1024x TC, it gives about 60 FPS.

Thank god I still have my Windows XP
Old 09-05-09, 03:45 AM   #265
trojanfoe
Watch

Quote:
Well then, if it was released by the makers on torrent, fine with the rules
GWX is freeware so it doesn't really matter how you get it. For the convenience of others, here is the link to the torrent file I used:

http://www.filefront.com/12764641/GW...orrent.torrent

Cheers,
Andy
Old 09-05-09, 03:48 AM   #266
trojanfoe
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Talon View Post
I reinstalled SH3, then used the update tool and then run SH3. It asked the Cd-code and then it worked.

I have Vista laptop, and SH3 works correctly, but when I am at external views, bridge or commandroom, I get ony 3 FPS. In navigation map, even if I have 1024x TC, it gives about 60 FPS.

Thank god I still have my Windows XP
What graphics chip do you have in the laptop and have you installed the latest drivers etc.? How does it perform with other games?

Even though Vista is much hated and maligned, it won't cause framerate drops of 90+% (say 30 fps to 3 fps) - something else is wrong and you will have similar problems with Windows XP.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 09-05-09, 03:51 AM   #267
trojanfoe
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Von Larnie View Post
ok tried following your suggested steps today and yesterday, and still no luck!
OK - it's frustrating - I know, but tell me what happens please.
Old 09-05-09, 04:24 AM   #268
Von Talon
A-ganger

Downloads: 67

If I "watch" water or ues external camera underwater, the game works properly, 20-30 FPS! But if I watch the sky or the horizon, the game starts to lagg 2-3 FPS.

Btw, anyone know how to zoom in periscope, deck gun or UZI? I have laptop and it haven't that funny rorrel between the mouse buttons?
Old 09-06-09, 11:43 AM   #269
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Hi,
Your frame drop is because something is eating up your CPU/memory/video card. It could be a mod. Or it could be a video card problem in laptops due to shared memory.
First thing I would due is run SHIII v1.4b and see if your frame rate is good. If you have this problem with the vanilla game, you don't have enough power.
To zoom in, use the tab key; to zoom out, use SetKeys to activate the zoom out command (I use CTRL+tab)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1016
Since you have a laptop, SetKeys will allow you to program a lot of keys to avoid using the function keys
Old 09-06-09, 12:05 PM   #270
Brewtality
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just wanna mention that installation on Windows 7 is basically as Installing on Win XP.
Regular in other words.

Win 7 is in many ways more like XP than Vista, contrary to popular belief.