SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-18, 04:17 AM   #1
Destroyer_
Nub

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default GWX not working!

Hello all.

GWX is not working for me. (Using STEAM)
I am running mod clean with windows 10 and I have followed the install instructions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Destroyer_; 06-11-18 at 08:05 AM.
Destroyer_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 08:04 AM   #2
Destroyer_
Nub

Ok I got the 1939 start to work by changing the run mode to Windows XP (SP3) but when I go to do a 1940 start it keeps crashing when loading into the port. Any ideas?
Old 06-11-18, 08:14 AM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

If you didn't already, then these are the first things to check, and I'm not saying that everything will work after that:

- Do not install the game in the Program (x86) default folder but chose another non-protected location to install the game; check that all game files are NOT write-protected; With the Steam version this will not apply I think.

- You must patch the game to the latest version, and get rid of any old Starforce DRM in the case you install from the non-Steam DVD version. For that read the stickies for SH3. Doesn't apply for Steam version.

- You must run in Win7 compatibility mode and Admin rights (right-click the game shortcut > Properties) ;

- You must apply the 4GB Patch before running a megamod like GWX, LSH3 or WAC; this also means you should reasonably have at least 6 or 8GB RAM.

- You must enter your grafic card settings and chose 'scaling with Desktop to Fullscreen' or similar or 'scaling with GPU to Fullscreen'.

- Finally you should install via JSGME a Widescreen mod to have grafics at 16:9.

Just do all that and come here again.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-24-18 at 11:56 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 08:20 AM   #4
Destroyer_
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
If you didn't already, then these are the first things to check, and I'm not saying that everything will work after that:

- Do not install the game in the Program (x86) default folder but chose another non-protected location to install the game;

- You must patch the game to the latest version, and get rid of any old Starforce DRM in the case you install from the non-Steam DVD version. For that read the stickies for SH3.

- You must run in Win7 compatibility mode and Admin rights (right-click the game shortcut > Properties) ;

- You must apply the 4GB Patch before running a megamod like GWX, LSH3 or WAC; this also means you should reasonably have at least 8GB VRAM.

- You must enter your grafic card settings and chose 'scaling with Desktop to Fullscreen' or similar or 'scaling with GPU to Fullscreen'.

- Finally you should install via JSGME a Widescreen mod to have grafics at 16:9.
Could you explain where I could find this 4GB patch?e
Old 06-11-18, 08:26 AM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

You should find the link to it or in the mod threat, on the GWX homepage or in the download section of this forum.
Old 06-24-18, 11:24 AM   #6
TAY999
Swabbie

Downloads: 8
Default Worked for me :)

With a clean install running windows 10 64 bit it worked right after downloading from steam. I then did the resolution fix and it ran. I then installed GWX 3.0 Gold and it loaded to about 90% then just closed a few times at same location.
After coming here I then changed compatibility to windows 7 and run as administrator and it then loaded, thank you.
TAY999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-18, 11:55 AM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

I have corrected my point 4 above: With the 4 GB patch, your computer should have at least 6 or 8 GB RAM. If it has only 4 GB RAM then your OS will consume most of it and may lead to loading problems for GWX or other megamods.
Old 06-24-18, 03:01 PM   #8
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Destroyer_
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

Looking for something then check out my tutorials signature
4Gig Patch For SH3 > Already Activated In LSH3
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote