SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-04-14, 03:47 PM   #1
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2
Default How about a new Deck Gun Sight

Looking for a few good men,, if you except this mission, your objectives are as follows, install the position keeper like it is in the UZO and have it work as it does when manual targeting option is selected off with target lock,, second have a bearing compass installed at the top of the sight,,, like the rest of the scopes, and thirdly,, some better magnification options would be in order,,If you chose not to take on this mission,, you'll be destined to battle on the surface guessing at ranges and not knowing where you are pointed at.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 07:24 PM   #2
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

As it stands now, I'm commanding the BB New Mexico, just finished a mission took out a large minelayer at 12,000 yards and two destroyers at 9,000 yards, I was manning the deck gun and my gunnery was about spot on this is how I did it,, first found target with uzo got range and bearing and then manned the deck gun found target and hit target lock then went to sonar rangeing, hit rangeing button, and range came up into the message box, applied range into sight and fired hit target on third salvo.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 12:12 PM   #3
Snarf
Officer

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 10

How about some radar ranging? Since radar was one of the more accurate ways of taking ranges and it was pretty standard for the radar operator to call out ranges, not just bearings. Then applying radar ranges would be much more historically accurate as far as surface engaging goes, since a US BB could actually hit something over the horizon. Then getting credit for those over the horizon shots is another matter.