SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-14, 09:51 PM   #16
TG626
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 3

I have no issue with you guys debating how SHIII works, but I thought it worth pointing out that this was an SHIV thread. Perhaps SHIV behaves differently then SHIII in this regard?

In any case, 1km keeps the skippers from having a panic attack so that's the golden distance for me when building missions in SHIV.
Old 04-14-14, 11:09 PM   #17
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi,

I understand this, but I have never seen any problem with this Maybe because I limit the convoy speed and the max. column size and thus, the outer ships can always easily catch up
Yes, that sounds like a good idea.

I agree about having some zigs making things harder. Anything that makes the targets a little more unpredictable is to the good. It's just a pity that the game does not permit more of it.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 11:06 AM   #18
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
what do you mean with this I extensively use zigzagging convoys in my SH3 installation and it's quite effective (around every 16km and an angle variation of +/-25°). I've also never seen a broken convoy
There are two types of zig zag that the convoys did in real life:

1) Helm change, where the formation would keep the general course, but for some minutes changed helm to a different heading (returning to the original main course inmediately after that). There were alarm clocks at the helmsman station that ringed f.e. every 5 minutes to remind the helmsman to change course again. This was done to avoid incoming torpedoes and difficult the uboat ascertaining the real true course.

2) Complete course change, where the whole convoy would steer a different course altogether. While doing the 5 minutes helm changes around it, of course. This was done to shake pursuers and confuse about the real course steered in the long run.

In the first case, because alls hips changed heading simultaneously, the aspect of the formation (viewed from above) changed accordingly, for example a perfect square would become a rhombus or diamond when they all change helm 45º

In the second case, the whole formation changes course and the ships on the outside must speed up to catch the relative position they had to the rest before. This happened every as many hours as the convoy commander decided and usually always at least once after dark so as to lose any pursuing uboats easier.

SH3/4 can only do the second thing.