Uploads: 0

Just been reading about this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Fryatt
Old 07-27-16, 08:36 AM   #1412
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ Well let's say there are at least two opinions, international law and the Entente propaganda of the time.
Can of worms..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 10:39 AM   #1413
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

http://www.harwichanddovercourt.co.uk/a-local-hero/ HE wore the wrong gold watch; (Great Eastern Railway, his employer had given him the first) the inscription on the admiralty watch did him in.
Quote:
Presented to Captain C. A. Fryatt by the chairman and Directors of the G.E Railway Company as a mark of their appreciation of his courage and skilful seamanship on March 2nd, 1915.
as opposed to the incriminating
Quote:
Presented by the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty to Chas. Algernon Fryatt Master of the S.S. 'Brussels' in recognition of the example set by that vessel when attacked by a German submarine on March 28th, 1915.
His widow and seven kids: Olive, 18; Victoria, 16; Doris, 14; Vera, 11; Mable, 10; Charlie, 5 and Dorothy 2 did very nicely:
Quote:
The Great Eastern Railway awarded Fryatt’s widow a pension of £250 per annum. The Government granted her an extra £100 per annum pension on top of her entitlement. Fryatt’s insurers, the Provident Clerk’s Association, paid the £300 that Mrs Fryatt was entitled to immediately, dispensing with the usual formalities.
Who rams U-boats with seven kids!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 02:05 PM   #1414
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

He'd have been better off if he had of rammed it I think.
He just scared it away.
Old 07-27-16, 02:19 PM   #1415
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
He'd have been better off if he had of rammed it I think.
He just scared it away.
He tried to ram, but did not succeed. Of course, in that case it would have been a kind of final solution, and he would not have been accused, except when a german sailor had survived to tell the tale. Or like in the L19 - King Stephen case and the drift bottle. Or in the case when this german U-boat sank a hospital ship, and tried to remove all evidence.

Maybe not the best link but explains a lot:
http://navymuseum.co.nz/worldwar1/ships/601/

Not what is written about "Q-ships" (being illegal by international law, and a war crime), but what is written of what the Entente did with civilian merchantmen, the prize regulation and why the german (!) unrestricted U-boat war was declared for some months.
The exact orders from Mr. Churchill violating international law are also seldomly mentioned, and i will not quote them here. England led an undeclared and unrestricted total war, also with its submarines, all through the war from 1914 to 1918. No one talks about it, propaganda and martial law saw to that.

By international law of the time the action of Mr. Fryatt was the same as a franctireur or partisan, shooting at soldiers while not wearing a uniform. On the Entente side such people were "executed", on the central side they were "murdered".

I do not appreciate or like what was done to Mr Fryatt, or Ms Clavell for that matter. But then there are very few things i like, in a war. When such things happened on the other side, no one mentioned it. Same as with british colonial rule over centuries, or what happened during the Boer war.

It might look as if all this has not much to do with each other, but it has: Patriotic pieces and propaganda again and again, still perpetrated a hundred years later. As Churchill said, "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it" and the public must never be disturbed by the truth, since it would undermine the trust in the government.
It is not a particularly british idea though..

Last edited by Catfish; 07-28-16 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-31-16, 11:25 AM   #1416
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1940 38 U boats sinks this month (196,000 ton).

1941 U boats sink 21 allied ships this month: 94,000 ton.

1942 German SS gases 1,000 Jews in Minsk, Belorussia.

1942 U-boats sank 96 allied ships this month: 476,000 ton.

1944 Last deportation train out Mechelen departs to Auschwitz.

2007 Operation Banner, the presence of the British Army in Northern Ireland, and longest-running British Army operation ever, comes to an end.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-16, 07:13 PM   #1417
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

1966 - Charles Whitman takes a stockpile of guns and ammunition to the observatory platform atop a 300-foot tower at the University of Texas and proceeds to shoot 46 people, killing 14 people and wounding 31.

1943 - PT -109 is rammed and sunk. Lt. Kennedy is credited with saving his crew.

1914 - Four days after Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, Germany and Russia declare war against each other, France orders a general mobilization, and the first German army units cross into Luxembourg in preparation for the German invasion of France.

1981 - MTV: Music Television goes on the air for the first time ever, with the words (spoken by one of MTV’s creators, John Lack): “Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll.”
Old 08-02-16, 08:54 AM   #1418
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1798 Battle of the Nile: British Royal Navy under Admiral Horatio Nelson further decimates the French fleet.

1934 Adolf Hitler becomes commander-in-chief of German armed forces.

1940 Clermont-Ferrand sentences Gen Charles de Gaulle to death.

1943 Sunderland seaplanes sinks U-706 & U-106.

Old 08-03-16, 06:53 AM   #1419
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1914 Germany invades Belgium & declares war on France in WW I.

1934 Adolf Hitler merges the offices of German Chancellor and President, declaring himself "Führer" (leader).

1940 Seaplane Clare makes 1st British passenger flight to the US.

1943 Gen Patton slaps a US GI in hospital, accusing him of cowardice.

1944 Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp gases 4,000 gypsies.

1954 1st VTOL (Vertical Take-off & Land) flown.

Old 08-04-16, 05:39 AM   #1420
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1914 WWI: Germany declares war on Belgium; Britain declares war on Germany.

1918 Adolf Hitler receives the Iron Cross first class for bravery on the recommendation of his Jewish superior, Lieutenant Hugo Gutmann.

1941 Winston Churchill departs on HMS Prince of Wales to US.

1942 1st train with Jews departs Mechelen Belgium to Auschwitz.

1943 British premier Winston Churchill travels on the Queen Mary to Canada.

1944 Anne Frank arrested in Amsterdam by German Security Police (Grüne Polizei) following a tip-off from an informer who was never identified.

Old 08-04-16, 06:36 AM   #1421
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1914 WWI: Germany declares war on Belgium; Britain declares war on Germany.
So easy? Not quite, but that is what the masses were being told. Some hundred years later it looks a bit different.
http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/...manrequest.htm
http://www.historyextra.com/feature/...niall-ferguson

Also " ... it is important to bear in mind that the Austrians were the wronged party in 1914. The heir to their throne had been assassinated and the terrorists had been sponsored by the intelligence service of Serbia. If you change the names and dates and ask yourself how we would react today if, let’s say, the American vice president, Joe Biden, was assassinated by a terrorist organisation clearly supported by the Iranian government, you see that the German position in 1914 was not entirely unreasonable.

Really the Austrians were the ones in the right and those who lined up on the side of Serbia were essentially backing the sponsors of terrorism...."

Old 08-04-16, 09:20 AM   #1422
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

August 4,1944 – The Holocaust: A tip from a Dutch informer leads the Gestapo to a sealed-off area in an Amsterdam warehouse, where they find and arrest Jewish diarist Anne Frank, her family, and four others.

August 4,1945 Paul McCarthy was born
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 09:21 AM   #1423
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1918 Adolf Hitler receives the Iron Cross first class for bravery on the recommendation of his Jewish superior, Lieutenant Hugo Gutmann
Quote:
On 8 February 8,1919, Gutmann was demobilized from the German Army but still maintained on the army rolls as a reserve lieutenant. He married later that year and would go on to father two children. During the 1920s, Gutmann owned and operated an office-furniture shop in Vordere Steingasse 3 in Nuremberg.
In the fall of 1933, Gutmann applied for a veteran's war pension, which was granted (PresidentHindenburg had passed several decrees protecting Jewish war veterans from the rising tide of antisemitism). In 1935, after the passing of the Nuremberg Laws, Gutmann lost his German citizenship and was formally discharged from the veteran rolls of the army, but still continued to receive a pension, possibly due to Hitler's influence. ??
In 1938, Gutmann was arrested by the Gestapo, but released as a result of the influence of SS personnel who knew his history. In 1939, Gutmann and his family left for Belgium as World War II was beginning. Escaping ahead of the Gestapo from Belgium, France and Spain. In 1940 he immigrated to the United States just prior to the invasion of the Low Countries. Gutman eventually settled in the city of St. Louis, Missouri, where he changed his name to Henry G. Grant and went back into the furniture business. He died in 1962, in San Diego, at the age of 81 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=grant&GSfn=henry+&GSiman=1&GSc id=1960610&GRid=88872782&
Herr 'Grant" is buried at Home of Peace Cemetary. http://www.jewishgen.org/Yizkor/nuremberg2/nur009.html
Grant's view of America:
Quote:
"I can hardly describe how happy and grateful we are to live in this great and free country. People here are much more peaceful than in Europe ... Yesterday the presidential elections took place ... A real difference between Democrats and Republicans does not exist, both are primarily Americans. The president prefers his party members as secretaries of state, this is the only difference actually ... The people here want to live carefree and pleasant. Everything which shall be changed is criticized publicly. The president or a high official is criticized just the same as an ordinary man. All of this happens without spitefulness. Everybody may say what he wants and no-one takes care of the other in an obtrusive way like in Europe. Almost every worker and every other man owns an automobile and enjoys his life in a way which in Europe only the so-called high society can afford."
I imagine he appreciated it more than most...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-05-16 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-04-16, 09:29 AM   #1424
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Did you take that grave stone picture yourself?
Quote:
The Home of Peace Cemetery is a small Jewish cemetery in East Oakland in the ... 4712 Fairfax Avenue, Oakland, CA
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 09:39 AM   #1425
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

I did not take the photo (apology for size-moderator: please reduce if possible). The name is also the Jewish cemetery located within the grounds of Mount Hope Cemetery in San Diego.

Last edited by Jimbuna; 08-04-16 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Resized