SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-28-06, 03:07 PM   #1
waste gate
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Type IXC is a pig!!

Well, I transfered to 10th Flotilla @ Lorient and picked up a type IXC.

Now I know why they called them 'pig boats'. After spending three game years in type VIIB/C boats with their agility and speed in the dive, I'll be transfering back to the type VII as soon as I return to Lorient.

Has anyone else had this experience or am I just spoiled?
Old 04-28-06, 03:32 PM   #2
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Hey, dont talk that way about my baby!

You're just spoiled

edit:

On a more serious note, you just have to approach IX boats with a different mindset. I prefer the faster diving, quicker turning VII's myself, but i always find myself back into an ix boat no matter how hard i try not to. Takes a certain kind of skipper maybe.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 03:35 PM   #3
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0

Well, I think VII has spoiled you. ´
But, just think how lucky you are... IN RL, skippers just couldn't change the boat if they thought one they have is a little bit slow in dive...

-RC-
Rosencrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 03:41 PM   #4
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

As pigs go, the IXD2 REALLY takes the cake. if he thinks the IXC is bad, he should try an IXD2.. eeessshhh..
Old 04-28-06, 03:46 PM   #5
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Hello Ducimus.

Same here. IX rules. Maybe it's just the size what matters...

-RC-
Old 04-28-06, 03:52 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Wait until SHIV. If it's as real as SHIII you're really going to hate the U.S Fleet boats. especially the Narwhal class. Makes a type IX feel like a sports car.
Old 04-28-06, 03:56 PM   #7
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

I think it has more to do with being that lone hunter in enemy home waters, far far far from home port or Europe for that matter.

You won't see too many VII boats in the caribean sinking tankers, or taking a trip to new york harbor, or south africa, or the indian ocean, or south america, etc etc. IX boats have the reach, and the punch, VII boat's don't.

If you love the idea of going to far off exotic places, and long epic voyages, IX boats all the way. If you dont want to be at sea for very long, and only shoot a couple of fish, then theres the VII boats.

It's kinda like that old joke about the old bull and the young pull sitting on a hill looking at a field of cows. To put it in a SH3 perspective, a VII skipper says, "lets run over there and sink a couple of those merchants!" The IX skipper says, "no, lets cruise over to where they're coming from and sink them all"
Old 04-28-06, 03:58 PM   #8
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Wait until SHIV. If it's as real as SHIII you're really going to hate the U.S Fleet boats. especially the Narwhal class. Makes a type IX feel like a sports car.
I think thats one reason (of many) why i always end up in an IX boat. It's alot closer to being an a Gato Fleet boat then an VII. Although the gato is larger i think. The IXD2 is probably the closest semblance to a gato, although i dont have the specs infront of me, so i could be mistaken.
Old 04-28-06, 03:59 PM   #9
waste gate
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

OK, so I'm spoiled. But its no wonder that U-505 was captured so easily. Once on or near the surface your goose is cooked.

I thought the greater torpedo load would give me mor tonnage and the greater range would get me close to the U.S. coast, but since I'll be at the bottom long before I get a chance at either I'll be returning to Lorient B4 I get out of the Bisay Bay.

I'll make up agood excuse fo BdU
Old 04-28-06, 04:05 PM   #10
Oleif
Mate

Downloads: 1

I have the same sentiment about the IX. I got one for the first time a few patrols ago and over the entire patrol I felt completely vulnerable... needless to say i switch back to my trusted VII after that.
Oleif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 04:13 PM   #11
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by waste gate
OK, so I'm spoiled. But its no wonder that U-505 was captured so easily. Once on or near the surface your goose is cooked.
Yeah, planes are dicey in an IX boat. If the plane is detected close i wont dive in time. So ill man the flak guns, go to flank speed, pull hard rudder. Once he make his first pass, i crash dive THEN sincet will be a little while before me makes a second run. If hes detected at any other range, ill crash drive and usually get under in time.

Quote:
I thought the greater torpedo load would give me mor tonnage and the greater range would get me close to the U.S. coast

It will, i am .. MR drumbeat. I know those waters REALLY well.

Quote:
but since I'll be at the bottom long before I get a chance
You wont, if you captain your boat correctly. If you treat an IX boat like a VII boat you'll get sunk yes. When leaving "death valley" and also in your operating area, you should be submerged by day and half of the night. I run my bats down to 40% and CO2 to 50% before i surface. I usually surface at 0 hour and dive at 0500. That time period is long enogh to recharge my bats and then some.

IX boats are about long trips. Once you clear biscay bay, at 8 kt's it takes bout 20 to 25 days to cross the atlantic on the surface. Mid atlantic you ahve nothing to worry about. Once you get near the US east coast you should be submerged most of the time. Same for returning, once you get near biscay bay, you should be submerged most of the time. ANd for christ's sakes, LEAVE THAT DAMN RADAR OFF once you get to 1943 anywhere near or around biscay. I have twice been nailed by an HK group that homed on me like a bee to honey.. left my damn radar on
Old 04-28-06, 04:23 PM   #12
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Well, Gato is about 2500 tons in submerged I think while IXD2 is about 1200. Could chek that but too lazy...

But what Ducimus wrote is the point for me too. You really don't expect the wolfpacks if with IX and somehow I feel there is something common between the larger US boats and IX... Don't know what's it really...

-RC-
Old 04-28-06, 04:32 PM   #13
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gato_class_submarine

http://uboat.net/types/ixd.htm

Id venture to guess that some people wont make the transition from SH3 to SH4 very well :P
Old 04-28-06, 04:46 PM   #14
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Oh, it's 1800 - 2000 tons (IXD2).

Well, seven and half to VII and twenty five to gato... That's nice.
Well, anyway, after 5 - 7 years after playing SH it's good to meet the Gato ago... Allmost can't wait.
Old 04-28-06, 04:51 PM   #15
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

yeah if you look closely the IXD2 is only *slighly* smaller then a gato.

I think i might abandon my current career and restart with an IXD2. I havent used one in awhile. I just need to find the numbers used on the "NASA fix", so i can get its range correct.

edit: found undewater range fix numbers (40 @ 4kt) ...sweet. Now if i can just stop playing oblivion, i might get this pig underway :P