SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-17, 05:55 AM   #1
getbac
Watch

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0
Default What do the circles mean?

DESTROYER PATTERNS:
1/2 search 850 (1000) yrds/meters
3/4 search 4150 (4300) yrds/meters
Full, 180d search 8000 (8200) yrds/meters
(=safe distance)
According to what I be been taught visual distance at sea is around 14 miles, about 30k yds/meters. Then you hit the curvature of the earth. Anything after that becomes "over the horizon" The big ring is 8000 yds/meters So not sure if its a visual or not. It stays the same in anyweather which would change if it was a visual cue (imo)! At first I thought it might be radar but that became apparently wrong when I got radar. My radar goes to 80K yds/meters/40 Nmiles, so am at a loss. Seems a destroyer and other surface radars would go much further than what I would be capapble of doing!
The second circle is 4150 yds/meters and thats 2 Nmiles. Sounds right for a listening device. and of course Sonar would be the smallest of operational attributes (again imo) thus the little 1/2 circle. And yea boy do I use the blank spot in the rear of the destroyers, helps to knock em off
Also have you noticed the subhunters have a much larger 180d ring? I do stay out of reach on the surface but feel comfortable when sumberged to be much closer with no problems!
Take a look at this if you are in to some real confusion lol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon

us land lubbers are hard to deal with huh?
Old 04-29-17, 12:15 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

From what I remember from my lookout training, it was 14k yds(7 nm) to the horizon but that also depends upon the observers height as well. As for the various circles, you're on the right track. The 1/2 circle is the coverage area of the units active sonar, the 3/4 circle is the passive sonar envelope. The next two full circles are for visual and radar, with radar having greater distance than visual.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 02:02 PM   #3
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

Default That's right...

IIRC the "3/4" circle for passive sonar/hydrophone is (should be) more like 330 degrees...all-around except for the baffles, 15 degrees either side of dead astern....in game or real world.

You "hit the curvature of the earth" right at the point where you're standing; the distance to the horizon depends on your height of eye. If you're bobbing around in a life jacket or on a raft, the distance to the horizon is a mile or less.

An observer's height of eye of 36ft provides for distance to the horizon of 7nm; that's about correct for a lookout in the shears of a fully surfaced USN "Fleet Boat" (or on the sail of a surfaced "boomer").

To get distance to the horizon of 14nm requires a height of eye of almost 145ft. But, you should also account for the height of the object you are looking for...consider that to be the height of eye looking back at you. So, a lookout with height of eye of 36ft should be able to sight an object that is also 36ft above the surface, at a distance of 14nm (provided it's large enough to be seen at that distance to begin with).

A good lookout, well trained and experienced, should be able to pick out the masthead of a ship well over the horizon. Of course, smoke can be a dead giveaway from an even much farther distance over the horizon.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 08:52 PM   #4
Sniper297
The Old Man

Uploads: 19

This is an FAQ, so I made a new picture;

The outer ring has nothing to do with radar, it's the average distance a lookout will see something the size of a surfaced submarine. Sometimes they'll see you further away, sometimes you can get in closer than the max circle, it depends on a variety of factors. Seeing a big ship on the horizon is a lot easier than seeing smaller ships and boats, that's why the outer ring doesn't go all the way to the horizon - a WWII sub was a boat, a small target difficult to see more than 4 to 5 miles away.

The red half circle is the area where the sonar "pings" have a good chance of reflecting from a submerged sub strong enough to be detected. The yellow "3/4" circle is just listening for propeller cavitations and other noises like machinery and loading torpedoes, which is why there's a "SILENT RUNNING" option. Depending on how good the crew is, how fast you're going, how deep you are, and how far from the center of the circle you are, they might or might not hear you inside that semicircle.

The reason for the cutout at the back is "baffles", sound interference from the ships own machinery and propeller noise.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 02:02 AM   #5
getbac
Watch

Default thanks yall

very helpful......... the berbster told me the outer ring was visual but I could not understand it until now ...
Old 04-30-17, 02:24 AM   #6
getbac
Watch

Default great visual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
This is an FAQ, so I made a new picture;

The outer ring has nothing to do with radar, it's the average distance a lookout will see something the size of a surfaced submarine. Sometimes they'll see you further away, sometimes you can get in closer than the max circle, it depends on a variety of factors. Seeing a big ship on the horizon is a lot easier than seeing smaller ships and boats, that's why the outer ring doesn't go all the way to the horizon - a WWII sub was a boat, a small target difficult to see more than 4 to 5 miles away.

The red half circle is the area where the sonar "pings" have a good chance of reflecting from a submerged sub strong enough to be detected. The yellow "3/4" circle is just listening for propeller cavitations and other noises like machinery and loading torpedoes, which is why there's a "SILENT RUNNING" option. Depending on how good the crew is, how fast you're going, how deep you are, and how far from the center of the circle you are, they might or might not hear you inside that semicircle.

The reason for the cutout at the back is "baffles", sound interference from the ships own machinery and propeller noise.
WAY AWSOME.... copy/paste as we speak... thanx