SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-01-16, 08:46 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default About Antivirus

https://tiptopsecurity.com/why-antiv...-as-you-think/

Good advise, keep it on mind.

Quote:
Malware is only a small part of what makes the internet unsafe. Phishing is arguably a bigger threat than viruses. Social engineering can be just as devastating. Our behavior gets us in trouble more than anything. Antivirus programs can’t change your behavior.

As fallible as antivirus can be, it has its place. Just don’t overestimate its effectiveness. In the grand scheme of computer safety, antivirus actually plays a rather small role. What it comes down to is this: use it but don’t trust it. Antivirus is a best-effort, last line of defense and should be treated as such.
Old 11-05-16, 04:21 PM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I think of Black Mirror season 3, episode 3 every time I read about anti-malware for free.
Old 12-21-16, 05:19 AM   #3
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Reported.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 09:39 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Actually, independent field testing shows that free anti-virus is as effective as paid anti-virus. There are even Linux programs that can be installed on a boot disk to scan Windows systems which work very well. It's not a good idea to run two or more anti-virus systems on the same operating system. But a boot disk runs your computer while Windows is shut off. Any way you look at it two sets of eyes are better than one, and a boot disk can find things that a resident anti-virus cannot. So use what you choose for Windows. Pay for it if it makes you feel better. But a Linux boot disk with anti-virus scanning for Windows can save your cookies. Of course that is free software and free operating system. Sometimes movies don't apply to reality.

But there is no perfect anti-virus system. Each round of independent testing ranks them differently because the situation is always changing day to day. Microsoft Security Essentials has been near the worst and near the best, depending on the specific time testing took place.

But the worst possible virus on your system is you! No anti-virus can protect your computer from you, deleting vital system files from your system, for instance. When Microsoft tries, by deploying watch dogs around protected system directories, program files and program files (x86) it just interferes with your legitimate use of your computer and you STILL find ways to damage your own system.

Of course, even with a hobbled system that fights your every attempt to use it, malware runs rampant, unhindered by the safeguards which keep you from installing Silent Hunter into a system protected directory.

In spite of malware's open field, you are many times more likely to do damage than any malware. If you considered Windows Update as malware, you would be reduced to second place. I am so happy not to ever have to deal with Windows Update again!

If you are interested in the absolute best ways to find malware check out http://www.howtogeek.com/187037/how-...tside-windows/ and http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/live-cd...windows-start/.

The worst thing about Windows is that you MUST make a bootable System Repair Disk and never lose it. If you have a Windows Update SNAFU and are left with an unbootable system and didn't make a System Repair Disk, Microsoft's only solution is for you to buy another Windows license. You cannot download or even pay for a Windows System Repair disk, ANYWHERE. Microsoft is actively pursuing and taking down websites posting Windows System Repair Disk images. The Catch-22? You are not really encouraged or warned ahead of time, and when you find you need it you can no longer get it.

I use Rescatux, which can rescue both Linux and Windows, restoring the MBR, rehooking the Windows installation to the startup routine, etc. This is all stuff Microsoft wants you to just buy another Windows License for. You know, if Microsoft is so engaged on bringing the entire weight of the court system to prevent you from fixing Windows, why don't you just migrate to Linux, where you are respected as the owner of your hardware with the unquestioned right to repair your system? How much abuse does it take to leave an evil corporation who no longer serves its customers, except for lunch? ( "The rest of the book To Serve Man, it's... it's a cookbook!")

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 01-04-17 at 10:15 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 04:38 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Basic virus recognition of free and payware versions of one and the same suite may not differ that much, but there are serious differences in functionality. It can lead so far as that the free scanner does not track the system constantly in the background, only is a passive scanner checking the hard drive once you manually triggered it.

Also, a good secureity suite is much more than just an AVB scanner.

---

A statistical meta-analysis - a simple count, that is - found that Android is the one operaiton system of 2016 featuring the most security holes over the year, followed by - unexpected at least for me - Linux Debian.

The company featuring general software products with the most security holes over the year, was Adobe, followed by Microsoft. - I have stopped touching Adobe stuff already before I fled from Microsoft. There is only one good advise regarding Adobe software - DONT TOUCH IT. NEVER.

The problem with Google software is not so much security, its Chrome browser has the best update rate in the business, no other browser gets patched as fast and as often - Google's problems are about privacy. I rate that as security issues, while many comfort junkeys obviously do not.

---

I again advice to take the lists of AV Institute- which does not get "supported" by any commercial player or comnpany, and is apparently indeed independent - as orientation. I have seen them covering the ups and downs of trends with past titles I used pretty well, covering my own experiences with typical problems of this and that title.

https://www.av-test.org/en/

And since I recommended Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware repeatedly over the years, which indeed is very good: be advised that the new Android version for it does not convince. I tested it on a tablet and a cellphone, and an passive scan of the limited software installed on these devices always lasted for over one hour. Compared to the PC scan, that is hilarious. - On PC, use MBAM parallel to another AV/Security Suite, it is designed to be used parallale to one, and as I said, MBAM really is very good. Use the comemrcial version, it monitors your system constantly in the background. The popular free version does not do that.

Finally, understand that all this stuff does not make you
"safe" when you continue to behave stupid. It reduces the probability that something hits you - not more, not less. So better be a bit paranoid than sorry.
Old 01-10-17, 02:23 AM   #6
asddsaffds
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3

Sandboxie is a good program for limiting the damage of virus links in a web browser/email.

Possible to have different sandbox strictly for important web browsing (cc#,bank,work) away from the more sketchy browsing.

Still the loss of private data of whatever data stored in that browser however but limiting any backdoor virus to just that sandbox instead of spread in entire computer system is good thing. There is really nothing to gain by running browsers unsandboxed these days for the additional risks.
asddsaffds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 02:49 AM   #7
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Using a virtual machine from within Win 7/8/10 also minimises problems, in case of infection just shut it off, then start it again. Need a Win prof. version though.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 07:08 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by asddsaffds View Post
Sandboxie is a good program for limiting the damage of virus links in a web browser/email.

Possible to have different sandbox strictly for important web browsing (cc#,bank,work) away from the more sketchy browsing.

Still the loss of private data of whatever data stored in that browser however but limiting any backdoor virus to just that sandbox instead of spread in entire computer system is good thing. There is really nothing to gain by running browsers unsandboxed these days for the additional risks.
I used Sandboxie myself when I still was on W7, I too recommend it.

Back in my days it just had a stupid default setting that would not delete the content of the sandbox once you left it and/or the browser. If you install it (it was easy back then at least), make sure you study the options and understand them, and make sure you have this critical option changed so that the sandbox indeed kills its content when you leave it. That is the purprose of a sandbox - why they make the default setting different is completely beyond me.
Old 01-10-17, 07:10 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Using a virtual machine from within Win 7/8/10 also minimises problems, in case of infection just shut it off, then start it again. Need a Win prof. version though.
That is original, I never came to this idea. Using a VM of Windows 7 within a W7 environment... Hehe!