SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-10, 10:08 AM   #76
JotDora
Sailor man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

ok!

I'm asking because i would be interested in some sort of team work. You could tell me which animations you need an i could try to realize them.

I'm working in a software developing company and we have almost all sort of tools, mostly "lying" around unused.

Maybe i can get hand of a 3D Max license...maybe.

Greetings from germany

JotDora
JotDora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 10:20 AM   #77
Heretic
Commodore

Downloads: 240
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JotDora View Post
ok!
I'm asking because i would be interested in some sort of team work. You could tell me which animations you need an i could try to realize them.
I'm working in a software developing company and we have almost all sort of tools, mostly "lying" around unused.
Maybe i can get hand of a 3D Max license...maybe.
Greetings from germany
JotDora
I'd sure be interested, if you're able to get it to work. You'd be a hero to a lot of folks if you figure out how to successfully change the GR2 files.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 10:45 AM   #78
JotDora
Sailor man

We do have 4x 3D MAX licenses here, checking now if they are used and if i can "borrow" one.

If i can get hand of one license, don't expect to much at the beginning. I'm leading a team of programmers being used to develop 2D Windows Forms applications. Never did something in 3d on professional basis...but i'm interested in and maybe in can support you a litte bit in providing animations. Not sure if i will succeed in accessing the format (have to test if the 3D MAX version we have has the correct version for the SH5 files!) and providing GOOD animations

But i do have a russian mate who really is a "hero" in 3D modelling (sadly not interested in sub games) and i'm sure he can give me some useful lessons...for a beer or too (or maybe vodka ). Scripting - if possible or necessary - should not be a problem.

I'll check back

Greetings

JotDora

Last edited by JotDora; 03-15-10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-15-10, 01:46 PM   #79
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119

Dude thank you so much for the latest version of this mod! I love the extra animations! I can live with the crew clipping since it adds more animations! Absolutly love this mod thanks again!

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 02:18 PM   #80
redcoat22
Sailor man

Downloads: 8

I couldn't agree more. Its almost a shame the Devs didnt make more stock animations. I understand they didnt have time to finish what the wanted, but at least if they had given these guys the proper tools.
redcoat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 07:44 PM   #81
Heretic
Commodore

1.1.1 Released.

A small update. I tweaked the timing logic so the crewmen shouldn't walk through each other so much at the ladder. All gun crews now change out of their play clothes before they go on deck. Several crewmen had their beards removed in the stock w/ no beards version.
Old 03-16-10, 01:50 AM   #82
JotDora
Sailor man

Installed my license of 3Ds MAX on my box at home last night.

Having 3Ds MAX is not enough to access the gr2 files. Did some fast tests and played around with 3Ds MAX export/import filters. There seems to be no "out of the box" way to import gr2 files in 3Ds MAX. As far as i know the (granny), gr2 files are representing just the skeleton of a 3D model, separated from the textures.
Granny is $ 14000 No way for me to get hand on a granny license. I was lucky to get 3Ds MAX.

I did a quick research and there are several approaches (like this to import gr2 files in 3Ds MAX). Will do more tests this evening.

First of all i'll have to do more investigations to understand the basics of 3D modelling and the file formats.

Edit: I'll open o new thread for further information, i don't wanna mess up your thread! "MAY" be possible to archieve the goal in creating new animations...maybe ;-)

Last edited by JotDora; 03-16-10 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-16-10, 04:54 AM   #83
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
1.1.1 Released.
Thank you Heretic.
I like the change you did with the XO and watch officer. They look much better now IMHO.

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 09:06 AM   #84
KarlSteiner
Bosun

Downloads: 257

Quote:
They're in the the GR2 files in the character/animations folder. As far as I know, no one has figured out how to do anything with GR2 files. I looked through one in a hex editor and saw "3D Studios Max" in it. I don't know much about 3D modelling/animation, but it seems to me you would need to import the GR2 file into 3DS Max, do whatever to it, then export it back to a GR2 format. I've been investigating it, but since I do not own any 3D modelling tools, let alone 3DS Max($$$), this is all conjecture. It's used in other games, so it's possible there's some modders out there that know how to do this. If someone were to successfully make a new animation, I see no obstacle to using it in game, assuming they get the format correct.

It's the same problem with adding crewmen, waypoints, changing anything in the U-Boat models, etc.
Good job Heretic,

we will hope that an arrangement of 4 90° sector used watch-crew will be able.

Also that they put down her glasses to clean them, only.
So it was usually as describes in the istoric books.

Best regards

Karl

P.S.:
My profession is the low poly design of Ships, Lighthouses (Fastnet_Rock) and other static objects. So I have
many 3d-files ready for translating to SH5 if a max-plugin is avaliable.

See my Tug for SH3: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/6011016756?r=6011016756#6011016756

And I forgot: The glasses closer to the eyes, please.

Last edited by KarlSteiner; 03-16-10 at 08:12 PM.
KarlSteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 09:28 AM   #85
Heretic
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlSteiner View Post
Good job Heretic,

P.S.:
My profession is the low poly design of Ships, Lighthouses (Fastnet_Rock) and other static objects. So I have
many 3d-files ready for translating to SH5 if a max-plugin is avaliable.

See my Tug for SH3: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/6011016756?r=6011016756#6011016756
nice work!
Old 03-16-10, 10:38 AM   #86
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlSteiner View Post
Where can I download this? The FileFront link in that thread is dead.
Old 03-16-10, 12:28 PM   #87
Heretic
Commodore

Mod status and future plans.

I'm pretty satisfied with the bridge watch. I could make it somewhat better with some different animations, but that's starting to look more like something to hope for in patches and expansions. If that changes, I'll be glad to revisit it.

I've investigated adding more crew to the deck gun and torpedo room. I have one more thing I'd like to try on the deck gun but the torpedo room is a bust. There's a only two usable waypoints in there and they're both occupied. Finding usable animations that are offset from those waypoints has proven futile. Not a big disappointment for me since that's just a sideshow. The aft tube doesn't have any loading sequence at all. 90% of the action takes place in the control room and bridge.

I'd still like to do something with the bosun. Having him occasionaly touring the boat checking on the crew seems a good choice. Possibly having other crewmen moving around a bit makes sense too. I don't know if that will be in 1.2 or not.

Which brings me to something pretty exciting I'm working on for 1.2 - command based actions. Currently the crewmen are just looping through a set of animations with no connection to what the boat is doing or orders the player has given. The devs have implemented a command interface to allow the crewmen to perform action based on the command, but it's pretty limited and unfinished. Some of the functions referenced are very intriguing (OperateLeftTelegraph, OperateRightTelegraph), but sadly not functional. I'm working on a method to utilize that interface to drive the idle scripts, where I have more freedom.

What this means is when you issue a command, like 'dive', the Chief will call out ballast tank and hydroplane orders using the sound files already in the game- "flood main ballast tank", "fore planes five degrees down", etc. Then the planesmen will operate the correct controls, the ballast tank operator will turn his valves, and so on. The devs made the sound files, animations, and interface to make this all possible, but never got it completely implemented. I'm pretty sure I can get it functioning well enough to be a nice addition to the atmosphere and realism.
Old 03-16-10, 12:38 PM   #88
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
The devs made the sound files, animations, and interface to make this all possible, but never got it completely implemented. I'm pretty sure I can get it functioning well enough to be a nice addition to the atmosphere and realism.
I love you man!

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 01:19 PM   #89
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Heretic, I've tried using the commented-out animations in some of the unfinished crew script files; Like the set_speed.aix, but the game crashes with even minimal modification. I wonder if at least the:

Wp:LookAtPlayer();
Wp:LookAtEngineTelegraph();

aren't functional..

It's great that you see a solution to this by using the Idle scripts

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 01:28 PM   #90
Heretic
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by piri_reis View Post
Heretic, I've tried using the commented-out animations in some of the unfinished crew script files; Like the set_speed.aix, but the game crashes with even minimal modification. I wonder if at least the:

Wp:LookAtPlayer();
Wp:LookAtEngineTelegraph();

aren't functional..

It's great that you see a solution to this by using the Idle scripts
Yeah, it's a shame they don't work cause it looks like they had some cool stuff planned. Hopefully that's something that will show up in a patch or expansion down the road.

Tags
favorite