SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-17-13, 03:29 PM   #1666
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
Default More bugs to squish

@TDW,

There are some other bugs that are still there: the crew scripting is very buggy. The most obvious would be non-working crash_dive command. It is never called. Rubini used Rescue_survivors script to work around the problem but it would be nice if the script worked as supposed. To illustrate here is an excerpt from \data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat7a\crew_commands.txt:
Code:
// Crash_dive currently not getting triggered
// Added Rescue_Survivors command and MCCD modifications by Rubini

Crash_dive 1 1 4 ( CR_CHIEF = crashd_CHIEF, CR_VALVE = crashd_VALVE, CR_HELM = crashd_HELM, CR_SO_01 = crashd_SO )
[.....]
  Rescue_Survivors 1 1 4 ( CR_CHIEF = ccrashd_CHIEF, CR_VALVE = ccrashd_VALVE, CR_HELM = ccrashd_HELM, CR_SO_01 = ccrashd_SO )
[.....]
As you can see the Crash_dive command should cause some crew members to follow crashd script (which lies in crash_dive.aix file) but this Crash_dive command is never triggered. Rubini reworked the menues so that Rescue_Survivors command is given instead of Crash_dive so the crashd script could be called.

I would love to add to that the annoying bug of animation orientation. I am not sure if you can remember that but there are two numbers in animation scripts that suppose to give initial and final orientation of the crew member's animation but they don't work.

It would be also awesome if some methods to get current time, date, and weather as well as some kind of timer and a random number were available in crew scripts as they are in ship AI scripts, currently all these things like battlestations, watches changes or changing to bad-weather outfit are next to impossible to mod-in since crew scripts have no knowledge of what's going on outside or inside the boat. There are many other problems with crew scripting like bad pathfinding, no knowledge of other members proximity, hard-coded turning animation (that uses only 90 degree slow turns), etc. etc. since the crew modelling was just half or 1/3 done when the games was released, but those methods I mentioned are of prime importance.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 04:21 PM   #1667
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Another malfunction related to improper usage, could be scopes getting damage if raised while cruising at high speed, but I am sure there are many other failures like these which we can think of...
This one is near the top of my list to do. Problem is I haven't found/figured out where the damages are stored at yet.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 04:39 PM   #1668
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
This one is near the top of my list to do. Problem is I haven't found/figured out where the damages are stored at yet.
I wish you good luck with this one.

On the topic of possible new patches, in SH5 general forum a French speaking member has asked about a patch making sinking ships not to disappear as soon as they touch the seabottom. This is not the worst SH5 flaw indeed, but since I know you have already looked into this problem, do you have any news about it?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 04:44 PM   #1669
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
I wish you good luck with this one.

On the topic of possible new patches, in SH5 general forum a French speaking member has asked about a patch making sinking ships not to disappear as soon as they touch the seabottom. This is not the worst SH5 flaw indeed, but since I know you have already looked into this problem, do you have any news about it?
I know where in the code it adds the depth offset to the unit to make it sink through the bottom and keep going till it's at 500m at which time the game removes it. Problem is I haven't figured out what is triggering this negative depth offset value. Once I can find that I can stop the units from sinking through the bottom. Before I can figure that out I have to find the code that says unit hit the bottom - don't let it go through the bottom first.
Old 04-18-13, 04:51 PM   #1670
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

A link to the SH_N_Client patch has been placed at post #1. I'll ensure it's in the next version
Old 04-18-13, 04:55 PM   #1671
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

As to give you my only request with your patches and mods:

I'd love to see SH5 keeping marks (ruler etc) when saving/reloading.
SH3 and 4 do this, don't see why SH5 can't!
As well as destroyed marks...the NewUIs ones never worked here (or very few times) and nothing to be done here to make it work correctly (even boat's log activated)
I'd love to keep tracks of my adventures with those stupid little icons, and i'd love to get back stock destroyed icons each time i save/reload!

Cherry on the cake would be game saving current weather too...but that's an other story

EDIT: sorry, didn't see your reply in other thread! lol
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 05:23 PM   #1672
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I know where in the code it adds the depth offset to the unit to make it sink through the bottom and keep going till it's at 500m at which time the game removes it. Problem is I haven't figured out what is triggering this negative depth offset value. Once I can find that I can stop the units from sinking through the bottom. Before I can figure that out I have to find the code that says unit hit the bottom - don't let it go through the bottom first.
I see

On a side note, have you seen the graph at page #1665? I wonder which rpm/speed curve is coded in game.

Setting a realistic curve (especially for electric propulsion) is going to impact the optimal silent speed for evading enemy attacks. This is supposing that, as in rela life, enemy detection in game is affected by propeller's rpm, rather than by speed per se.

According to the article mentioned in the above post, the most silent running speed was at about 90 rpm, which should correspond to the second slowest speed order in U-boat speed telegraphs: "Langsame Fahrt".

Also note that speed orders for diesel propulsion (expressed as a fraction of the maximum speed/rpm) had a different "spacing" among them than their equivalent for electric propulsion:

Code:
	Diesel	Electric
KF	0.34	0.20
LF	0.54	0.39
HF	0.62	0.54
2xHF	0.80	0.69
GF	0.95	0.80
AK	0.98	0.97
3xAK	1.00	-
As far as I can see, SH5 uses the same settings ([EngineProperties] in NSS_Uboat7*.cfg) for both diesel and electric propulsion. I wonder if you could patch the game to use different ratios for them
Old 04-19-13, 12:10 AM   #1673
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v1.0.83.0 released. See post #1

Added more support code to each patch file. Fixed bug in sh5.exe when writing DestroyedUnits.ini file. Added new entries to the DestroyedUnits.ini file. YOU NEED TO OPEN EVERY PATCH FILE PROVIDED SO THAT THE FILE ASSOCIATED WITH THE PATCH GETS IT'S NEW/UPDATED SUPPORT CODE.

Added new torpedo failures to the SHSim.act file.

ENSURE YOU REMOVE ALL OLD PATCHES FIRST!

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 04-19-13 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-19-13, 01:14 AM   #1674
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
As far as I can see, SH5 uses the same settings ([EngineProperties] in NSS_Uboat7*.cfg) for both diesel and electric propulsion. I wonder if you could patch the game to use different ratios for them
I can probably do something for this. I would make it so that a file is read that contains all the data for every sub. So take all the engine properties for every sub and copy them into a file. Add a header to each one like so [x] where x is the sub's classname from it's cfg file. Adjust the values to what you want and post a link to it.
Old 04-19-13, 03:20 AM   #1675
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
v1.0.83.0 released. See post #1
Good news

Unfortunately destroyed marks doesn't show up in my game when I'm using the NewUIs (at all), so I was forced to restore the stock destroyed marks texture..
I hope with this new patch everything will show up as expected

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 08:11 AM   #1676
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
Good news

Unfortunately destroyed marks doesn't show up in my game when I'm using the NewUIs (at all), so I was forced to restore the stock destroyed marks texture..
I hope with this new patch everything will show up as expected
Not yet. When I release the next version of my UIs mod and the Generic Patcher then the destroyed marks will be fixed
Old 04-19-13, 09:40 AM   #1677
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I can probably do something for this. I would make it so that a file is read that contains all the data for every sub. So take all the engine properties for every sub and copy them into a file. Add a header to each one like so [x] where x is the sub's classname from it's cfg file. Adjust the values to what you want and post a link to it.
I am still collecting more information on the topic, but I am close to have a complete framework of it, and I plan to post in short time the cfg file suggested by you.

For a start, from a table at p. 21 of the Cumulative Edition of the British interrogation reports, I got confirmation that the "misaligned" point in the graph posted at post #1665 (electric propulsion), is due to a mistyping. R.p.m. at Langsame Fahrt were 112, and not 90, as wrongly reported in this document.

The correct rpm/speed chart for type VIIC U-boats is therefore:

Code:
DIESEL
speed order		rpm	speed
========================================
Kleine Fahrt		161	6.10 kts	 	 
Langsame Fahrt		263	9.63 kts
Halbe Fahrt		310	10.98 kts 
2x Halbe Fahrt		404	14.24 kts	 	 
Große Fahrt		469	16.73 kts
Äußerste Kraft		485	17.29 kts

ELECTRIC
speed order		rpm	speed
========================================
Kleine Fahrt		60	1.50 kts	 	 
Langsame Fahrt		112	3.00 kts
Halbe Fahrt		160	4.10 kts 
2x Halbe Fahrt		200	5.23 kts	 	 
Große Fahrt		233	6.10 kts
Äußerste Kraft		280	7.40 kts
...and this is the new graph, showing a perfect rpm/speed linearity for both diesel and electric propulsion:

This is what British had measured on captured boats... the Kriegsmarine manual for U-boat Type VII C (p. 14), reports slightly different figures:

Code:
DIESEL
speed order		rpm	max speed	min speed
=========================================================
Kleine Fahrt		180	7.20 kts	7.00 kts	 	 
Langsame Fahrt		275	10.20 kts	10.00 kts
Halbe Fahrt		340	12.40 kts	12.00 kts 
2x Halbe Fahrt		396	14.60 kts	14.00 kts	 	 
Große Fahrt		435	16.30 kts	16.00 kts
Äußerste Kraft		471	17.70 kts	17.50 kts
3x Äußerste Kraft	480	18.10 kts	17.90 kts

ELECTRIC
speed order		rpm	max speed	min speed
=========================================================
Kleine Fahrt 	 	55	2.30 kts	1.50 kts
Langsame Fahrt		110	4.50 kts	3.00 kts
Halbe Fahrt		160	6.30 kts	4.50 kts
2x Halbe Fahrt	 	215	8.20 kts	6.00 kts 
Große Fahrt		250	9.30 kts	7.00 kts
Äußerste Kraft		285	10.5 kts	8.00 kts
3x Äußerste Kraft	300	11.00 kts	-
Their graph is a bit more confusing:

Max speed points for both diesel and electric propulsion are substantially aligned on the same straight line, wereas min speed values can be interpolated by two lines whose gradients are similar to the ones seen in the previous graph, with electric propulsion having a lesser slope than diesel propulsion (0.0262-0.0280 vs. 0.0357-0.0366). This makes me to think that the max speeds reported for each speed order are sort of theoretical values. What do you think guys?
Old 04-19-13, 10:10 AM   #1678
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Not yet. When I release the next version of my UIs mod and the Generic Patcher then the destroyed marks will be fixed
Not as great as I thought, but still good news

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
Old 04-19-13, 10:27 AM   #1679
a17tares
Swabbie

Downloads: 54

@TDW

I just realized that you are using two different TDWUtils.dll's in NewUIs_TDC_7_3_0_ByTheDarkWraith (10.03.2013 8KB) and TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_83_0 (08.09.2011 7KB). Maybe this is of any significance for the problems some of us are encountering? By the way disabling Orbit Launcher in the SH_NClient Patch but not in SH5 Patches seems to get rid of the campaign progress bug. But I'm not sure yet about the effect on CTDs.
a17tares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 10:34 AM   #1680
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by a17tares View Post
@TDW

I just realized that you are using two different TDWUtils.dll's in NewUIs_TDC_7_3_0_ByTheDarkWraith (10.03.2013 8KB) and TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_83_0 (08.09.2011 7KB). Maybe this is of any significance for the problems some of us are encountering? By the way disabling Orbit Launcher in the SH_NClient Patch but not in SH5 Patches seems to get rid of the campaign progress bug. But I'm not sure yet about the effect on CTDs.
Just don't install Generic Patcher as a mod.. it's a standalone app.. if you want you can install .exe and .act files as a mod.. not the patcher itself..