SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-16-09, 02:04 AM   #286
trojanfoe
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawimmer430 View Post
Do you know where I could download this new version of Star Force? The one on my computer right now doesn't seem to do jack...
http://www.star-force.com/support/users/

Quote:
I actually downloaded the no CD patch (I do own a legal copy of the game) yesterday and the game still wouldn't work. I keep getting the usual "this game requires Windows 95/98/ME etc..." to run crap even after installing and uninstalling the game over and over again using different ideas presented in this thread. Nothing worked.
That's very strange - that dialog box is part of the protection so I don't think you are installing it correctly. If you look at the no-cd .rar file, it replaces the .exe and some .dll files. I would copy those (original) files into a sub-folder, in case you need them when installing a further game patch - unlikely, but anyway, and then unpack the no-cd patch into the SH3 directory.

Quote:
ALSO, does anyone else experience this when playing Silent Hunter III? When the game ran on my old laptop with Vista 32, my computer would just promptly shut down after about an hour or two of gaming - overheating issues. It's really frustrating that this crap keeps happening, especially since I have a well ventilated room.

A few weeks ago, when my old computer was still working, I actually played SH3 with the windows fully open - and ice cold air entered the room. I had to sit at my desk in a thick jacket and pants and heavy socks just to keep warm. And my POS computer still overheated and shut down as I played SH3. After that, it wouldn't start anymore and I eventually found out that my HD was busted. Thanks a lot SH3.

How the hell can a modern laptop, that should have no issues at all running SH3, keep overheating all the time when running this game!? This game supposedly wasn't even bringing the machine to its limits... This happened about seven times...
This is a hardware issue, not a problem with SH3. SH3 is pretty 'light' when it comes to stretching the CPU/GPU so you would also have problems with any 3D game I reckon. I recently returned my step-daughters Dell laptop under warranty due to overheating/shutdown problems (during World of Warcraft sessions) and it was repaired free of charge - a design flaw with the motherboard. You might want to check your warranty too.
Old 09-16-09, 03:33 AM   #287
U2222
Sparky

Downloads: 43

cawimmer430
If it's the starforce downloads you want then follow trojanfoe's advice.

If it's a starforce free SH3 full game download then type 'steam' into google and take it from there.
I believe there may be a small issue with this download covered by another thread.

There is a starforce free edition of the game available from the Subsim US store. Unfortunately this is not available through Subsim's UK store link.
And the best of luck!
U2222

A Big Thank You To All The Modders Who Make
Sub Simming Such A Deep Experience
U2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 04:58 PM   #288
FJ88
Watch

So if I have the old DVD version of the game when it was first released I can forget about getting SH3 to work on Vista 64?
FJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 01:56 AM   #289
trojanfoe
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ88 View Post
So if I have the old DVD version of the game when it was first released I can forget about getting SH3 to work on Vista 64?
Old 09-18-09, 04:43 AM   #290
U2222
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ88 View Post
In my opinion that is a sad fact.
I gave up all together and went back to running it on an xp machine.

Old 09-18-09, 09:25 AM   #291
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Well I haven't use XP in years. Going back isn't and option. Win7 or vista x64 doen't work with starforce...

SH3 alone does work.. Starforce is blocking access.. I've even check SF site.

http://www.star-force.com/support/users/windows7/

There are some help there but it don't work. They're drivers only support win7 beta. Not RC-1 or RTM. So your out of luck.

Other option is doing the alt method but I won't say that here.

To buy SH3 again? Isn't going to happen! Sorry I already payed for the game.

So I'll leave it up to you honest owners what to do to fix your game..

If you need help send me a PM...
Old 09-18-09, 03:21 PM   #292
FJ88
Watch

Some good news. I can confirm that the Steam version of the SH III works perfectly on a Vista 64 system. I did not need to do any tweaks or special settings in order to get it to work either. It worked from the moment it finished downloading.
Now I just need to download the massive GWX files and SH Commander and I will be all set.

So if there is anyone out there who like me has 64 bit Vista and was upset that you could not get your old DVD version to work, there is at least one answer.
It means buying the game again, but the price worked out to be around $10 USD which is pretty much a drop in the bucket for how much I get out of the game.

I wonder what the SH IV situation is? I never played it much since out of the box the game was boring and the mod community seemed to be slow to develop. Are there any mods of GWX quality for SH IV?
Old 09-18-09, 04:20 PM   #293
U2222
Sparky

That's good to hear FJ88
Please let me know how you get on with GWX3 with this

Old 09-18-09, 04:32 PM   #294
FJ88
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2222 View Post
That's good to hear FJ88
Please let me know how you get on with GWX3 with this
It will be awhile between SHIII and GWX it is about 3 GB worth of downloading.
Old 09-18-09, 06:28 PM   #295
Hotti
Nub

Downloads: 12

Okay.. Today I watched one episode of a program called "Atlantic Convoys" or smth like that and that made me want to play SH3 again. So I dig up my old SH3 disc, fire it up, some minor problems with install..

a) I'm using Windows 7 x64 Professional (RTM release version, NOT RC or beta) and first trouble was that every time I wanted to change install dir it would crash.. -> Solved this by running setup.exe from the disc manually with XP SP2 compatibilty mode. The game installed fine..

b) Next I try to launch the game for one before patching to 1.4b to get starforce crap to install.. I get the error that my OS is not supported. I find myself here, becuse I knew that this is THE place for SH3 community and I would certainly get the help I need from here. So I start reading this thread and quite quickly realize that the problem is with SF and x64 version of my OS.

c) took me 15 minutes to find myself in star-force.com and this page:

http://www.star-force.com/support/users/group3.php

scroll down to the x64 OS support part. I checked the version of SF in my install folder: 3.04.72 (I have the original UBI release disc). So SF themself say it will NEVER WORK ON x64! Unless UBI will release some fixed files to us with a newer sh3.dll (thats the starforce .dll file) or a official no-cd patch YOU WILL NEVER (legally) GET (your original) SH3 WORKING ON x64 OS's! (read up more to get the ifs)

So all of you who are saying you got it working in Vista are either using 32bit version (as you can see from the link I posted the earlier versions are working with 32bit OS) OR bought a new version from D2D, Steam or the newer disc versions. But in my opinion, even though I love SH3 and SH4 THIS IS WRONG to make us buy a game AGAIN just to play nowadays! There was one guy who said that he'd gotten some files from Ubi support that enabled him to play with 64bit os, which were meant for XP x64. WHY DOESNT UBI RELEASE THESE FILES PUBLICALLY?!?! Because they are greedy to the point that is SICK! They dont care about having the customers needs or wants fulfilled. All they care about is how to screw more money out from you!

So to sum it up on HOW TO MAKE IT WORK on Windows 7 x64 (aka 64bit):

IF and only if you are using a 64bit OS AND have the original SH3 WITH SF protection your only option is to use no-cd patch which you can find from google.

a) run setup.exe from the disc manually and use XP SP2 Compatibility mode to change the install directory (like posted here before, installing outside program files is your best choice to avoid problems later).

b) after the game has installed, install 1.4b patch

c) get the no-cd patch (google)

d) install all the rest you want to add to your game (GWX, SH3CMDR etc)

e) enjoy your game!

Sorry about the ranting but stuff like this makes me mad. Thank you Ubisoft for making me support piracy (by downloading the no-cd patch), a thing I really dont want to do, but you leave me with no choice.
Hotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 06:48 PM   #296
trojanfoe
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotti View Post
Okay.. Today I watched one episode of a program called "Atlantic Convoys" or smth like that and that made me want to play SH3 again. So I dig up my old SH3 disc, fire it up, some minor problems with install..

a) I'm using Windows 7 x64 Professional (RTM release version, NOT RC or beta) and first trouble was that every time I wanted to change install dir it would crash.. -> Solved this by running setup.exe from the disc manually with XP SP2 compatibilty mode. The game installed fine..

b) Next I try to launch the game for one before patching to 1.4b to get starforce crap to install.. I get the error that my OS is not supported. I find myself here, becuse I knew that this is THE place for SH3 community and I would certainly get the help I need from here. So I start reading this thread and quite quickly realize that the problem is with SF and x64 version of my OS.

c) took me 15 minutes to find myself in star-force.com and this page:

http://www.star-force.com/support/users/group3.php

scroll down to the x64 OS support part. I checked the version of SF in my install folder: 3.04.72 (I have the original UBI release disc). So SF themself say it will NEVER WORK ON x64! Unless UBI will release some fixed files to us with a newer sh3.dll (thats the starforce .dll file) or a official no-cd patch YOU WILL NEVER (legally) GET (your original) SH3 WORKING ON x64 OS's! (read up more to get the ifs)

So all of you who are saying you got it working in Vista are either using 32bit version (as you can see from the link I posted the earlier versions are working with 32bit OS) OR bought a new version from D2D, Steam or the newer disc versions. But in my opinion, even though I love SH3 and SH4 THIS IS WRONG to make us buy a game AGAIN just to play nowadays! There was one guy who said that he'd gotten some files from Ubi support that enabled him to play with 64bit os, which were meant for XP x64. WHY DOESNT UBI RELEASE THESE FILES PUBLICALLY?!?! Because they are greedy to the point that is SICK! They dont care about having the customers needs or wants fulfilled. All they care about is how to screw more money out from you!

So to sum it up on HOW TO MAKE IT WORK on Windows 7 x64 (aka 64bit):

IF and only if you are using a 64bit OS AND have the original SH3 WITH SF protection your only option is to use no-cd patch which you can find from google.

a) run setup.exe from the disc manually and use XP SP2 Compatibility mode to change the install directory (like posted here before, installing outside program files is your best choice to avoid problems later).

b) after the game has installed, install 1.4b patch

c) get the no-cd patch (google)

d) install all the rest you want to add to your game (GWX, SH3CMDR etc)

e) enjoy your game!

Sorry about the ranting but stuff like this makes me mad. Thank you Ubisoft for making me support piracy (by downloading the no-cd patch), a thing I really dont want to do, but you leave me with no choice.

Already posted (link).

Also, it's not piracy if you own the game.
Old 09-18-09, 11:11 PM   #297
Hotti
Nub

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanfoe View Post
Already posted (link).

Also, it's not piracy if you own the game.
I didnt say its piracy, I said its supporting piracy. And even though I own the game, I am not permitted to bypass the DRM etc. in my country. There was a case about this a while back and the court found the person who made the bypass guilty of copyright infringment. Also, as stated, Ubi seems to have a "fix" for 64bit XP which probably would also allow the game working on Vista and 7. Why dont they release this? Because then you poor fellas wouldnt have to buy the SF free version and encourage UBI to maybe do the same things later too with some other game!

Also your post suggests that you went for the no-cd patch straight away since there is some irregularity about your post. First, you cannot get past the "Error: your OS is not supported" -error to get to the crash in msvcr71.dll unless you've been trying different cracks in the first place. Also the reason its not asking for your cd-key is that the key is used only with the SF protection, so you have to have it installed first to use they key. Also your post is the typical "This is how _I_ did it" without any explanation to why or how. Do not get me wrong though, I'm not saying youre wrong or anything, I'm just saying for anyone who is still looking for any option other than using a no-cd patch or buying a new version that there is NO hope without Ubisoft help.

Secondly, your post and all others are simply speculating on the issues, one says Vista works, the other says Vista doesnt work etc. I bring you hard fact from SF itself; SF will not work on x64 systems with such old version of itself. Lucky for you 32bit users it is just "new" enough to have support with the driver update. And from what I've experienced, what works in Vista works in 7 too.

And third; I do not WANT to use the no-cd patch, since I never fully trust that they do a 100% job. And I do NOT want to support piracy and their affiliates by having to visit a site where I can find the no-cd. ONLY because the company that made the game are too GREEDY to give a damn and too LAZY to do the "free re-protection for versions 3.07.xxx and earlier"!!!!

I petition all you who allready own the original version to email Ubisoft to provide us with either an official no-cd patch OR an updated version of SF protection.

!!!DO NOT SUPPORT UBISOFT GREED BY PURCHASING A SECOND COPY!!!
Email them instead to get off their lazy fat ass to FIX IT! The game is only 5 years old for gods sake!
Hotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 03:40 AM   #298
trojanfoe
Watch

Quote:
I didnt say its piracy, I said its supporting piracy. And even though I own the game, I am not permitted to bypass the DRM etc. in my country. There was a case about this a while back and the court found the person who made the bypass guilty of copyright infringment.
Which country is that? Also if you didn't 'make' the no-CD patch, just applied it; perhaps the court would have a different outlook on your behaviour.

Quote:
Also, as stated, Ubi seems to have a "fix" for 64bit XP which probably would also allow the game working on Vista and 7. Why dont they release this? Because then you poor fellas wouldnt have to buy the SF free version and encourage UBI to maybe do the same things later too with some other game!
I agree - I don't know why they don't release this fix - not sure there is anything other than laziness/lack of care involved though - I doubt they do it on purpose to make us re-buy the game. How long would you expect them to support a game, especially one which wasn't a 'best seller' ?

Quote:
Also your post suggests that you went for the no-cd patch straight away since there is some irregularity about your post. First, you cannot get past the "Error: your OS is not supported" -error to get to the crash in msvcr71.dll unless you've been trying different cracks in the first place.
That's untrue - I tried using the 'official' patches - and the got 'OS is not support error' (from Starforce) and I then I tried the no-CD patch. The msvcrt71.dll problem was a badly installed 1.4b patch, which my post tells you how to solve. I only ever tried one no-CD patch and it was the one I finally got it working with.

Quote:
Also the reason its not asking for your cd-key is that the key is used only with the SF protection, so you have to have it installed first to use they key.
Indeed - I never got that far with the official patches.

Quote:
Also your post is the typical "This is how _I_ did it" without any explanation to why or how.
Your post is almost identical to mine, except it lacks much of the detail! I also tried the Starforce update, as you did, and found it not to work.

Quote:
Do not get me wrong though, I'm not saying youre wrong or anything, I'm just saying for anyone who is still looking for any option other than using a no-cd patch or buying a new version that there is NO hope without Ubisoft help.
That's already been discussed in this thread.

Quote:
Secondly, your post and all others are simply speculating on the issues, one says Vista works, the other says Vista doesnt work etc. I bring you hard fact from SF itself; SF will not work on x64 systems with such old version of itself. Lucky for you 32bit users it is just "new" enough to have support with the driver update. And from what I've experienced, what works in Vista works in 7 too.
I don't speculate about anything; I have posted what I have tried and what has worked. I never mention Vista - I have had Windows 7 installed for months. Your post is no different to any other in this thread, and brings no hard facts not already known.

Quote:
And third; I do not WANT to use the no-cd patch, since I never fully trust that they do a 100% job. And I do NOT want to support piracy and their affiliates by having to visit a site where I can find the no-cd. ONLY because the company that made the game are too GREEDY to give a damn and too LAZY to do the "free re-protection for versions 3.07.xxx and earlier"!!!!
Who does want to support piracy - but as you say you have to do what you have to do.

Quote:
I petition all you who allready own the original version to email Ubisoft to provide us with either an official no-cd patch OR an updated version of SF protection.

!!!DO NOT SUPPORT UBISOFT GREED BY PURCHASING A SECOND COPY!!!
Email them instead to get off their lazy fat ass to FIX IT! The game is only 5 years old for gods sake!
I think you should calm down a bit and stop the ranting and accusation (both of Ubisoft and of members of this forum) - it's unwarranted and makes you sound like a bit of a lunatic.

Last edited by trojanfoe; 09-19-09 at 04:11 AM.
trojanfoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 11:55 AM   #299
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

SH3 works in any OS. Starforce doesn't it blocks it on purpose.

Starforce is the one who is limiting SH3 from working... The tactic to force people to spend money on a game they already own.. again.

Sorry that doesn't work for me.

They do that in the music industry too. At least the quality of the sounds improved...

BUT PC world the game is the old same... Why should I have to pay again?

This is why I like egosoft. they remove there protection over time after they have made a decent profit... Ubisoft could easily update there starforce with a patch or remove it. But they don't' care.

Emailing them won't change nothing...

Not in every country its illegal to alter what you own Hotti.

I don't support piracy.. I also don't support greedy companies...
Old 09-20-09, 11:40 AM   #300
cawimmer430
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanfoe View Post
http://www.star-force.com/support/users/

That's very strange - that dialog box is part of the protection so I don't think you are installing it correctly. If you look at the no-cd .rar file, it replaces the .exe and some .dll files. I would copy those (original) files into a sub-folder, in case you need them when installing a further game patch - unlikely, but anyway, and then unpack the no-cd patch into the SH3 directory.

This is a hardware issue, not a problem with SH3. SH3 is pretty 'light' when it comes to stretching the CPU/GPU so you would also have problems with any 3D game I reckon. I recently returned my step-daughters Dell laptop under warranty due to overheating/shutdown problems (during World of Warcraft sessions) and it was repaired free of charge - a design flaw with the motherboard. You might want to check your warranty too.
Great post and info. Many thanks.
cawimmer430 is offline   Reply With Quote