SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-14, 12:55 PM   #1
TG626
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 3
Default What is a Submarine "Sponsor"

I've noted while looking at historical records, that there will be a womans name listed as "Sponsor"

What is this? Or where can I read about it? Google searches only turned up stories about Michelle Obama sponsoring a vessel, and various pages of historical data giving the name of various sponsors of past vessels.
Old 03-19-14, 05:14 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Society of Sponsors

http://societyofsponsorsofusn.org/ The Society of Sponsors of the United States Navy is composed of women who have taken part in the time honored tradition of christening a ship to be commissioned in the United States Navy, or a ship that sails with the Navy, supporting the fleet in some specific way. Sponsors play a unique role for the Navy. As they christen their ships, bestowing upon the vessel a name chosen by the Secretary of the Navy, they become a part of that ship’s history. The crew of the ship may change many times over the course of a ship’s life, but the Sponsor remains the same. Most Sponsors form a warm and lasting relationship with their ships, an affiliation that is rewarding to both. Both my sister and Aunt were privileged to commission a Navy Dredge vessel named for my late uncle-in-law who had designed vessels for dredging in the Suez Canal Sinai War aftermath and for the Venezuelan offshore oil interests...back in the late '60's.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 06:31 PM   #3
TG626
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 3

Thanks for the link!
Old 03-20-14, 08:09 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Nice.
Old 03-21-14, 11:27 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default The DVC Hayward in action

DVC Hayward (after my uncle) in action : keeping New York harbor free of debris and navigable...First time I've seen these myself! Correction to above post :not Navy but Army Corps of Engineers vesselAdditional photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/newyorkdistrict-usace/3764912909/in/photostream/ A nasty business but necessary in the 'big apple'. It appears not all aircraft in the Hudson River are as lucky as 'Sully's...but now you see who does the dirty work out of the public eye!! http://www.nan.usace.army.mil/Portals/37/docs/nydistricttimes/2011/NY%20District%20Times%20Nov%202011.pdf on the back pages of the news.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote