SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-10, 03:35 PM   #1
iowa101
Commodore

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 0
playable carriers

i havent been on for a while guys, so im not up to date with new editions, and have searched before deciding to make this post.

before i stopped coming to the site on a daily basis, i had found a post and had a reply leading me to another that lead me to a youtube vid where one of subsims members had video'd himself playing the game with a carrier.

i also was able find and download the files and it worked in career. how ever i have recently wiped my comp and no longer have the files. if someone can help me find the files again, as your search engine sucks and it's confusing lol.

that would be great.

i know for a fact that this person has a number of mods, and a page on filefront but i just cant remember that much.

also if theres a way to copy files from game make it playble that way how would i do that and is there a tutorial
iowa101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 05:59 PM   #2
iowa101
Commodore

i have just downloaded a free to use model of a carrier, it's a decent and very usable model, the detail lacks a little but i hope that that wont be to much of a problem.
i don't know how to post it so my only option is to have you download it if i cant attach it to this post somehow.

the model is done in google sketchup and i believe its convertable, but i leave that to ppl who know how, i also come up with a download from a different source of also a pretty good model of the lexington or essex i think

if anyone can maybe help get this into game as a playable ship throughout the career.
i know that your sick of me asking this, but it seems like the only class of ship we dont have playable.
i know that you think it's pointless, but to be honest i dont care, i may not be good at modding, but at least i want to try doing a carrier. you guys are more experienced and yet you wont show it.

all i ask is that you help.
Old 08-06-10, 07:16 PM   #3
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa101 View Post

the model is done in google sketchup and i believe its convertable
Why would you think that?

Quote:
you guys are more experienced and yet you wont show it.
[/QUOTE]
Have you seen the number of MODs available for this game? And "they won't show it"? Maybe it's because they have been down this road before. They are busy with their own work and don't want to spend time on something nobody is going to use.
If you want to see what it is like to play a career in a carrier, get a sub and do the following:

1. Do NOT fire any torpedoes, carriers don't have them.
2. Do NOT come back and say my carrier does not launch planes. Carriers don't launch planes.
3. Do NOT come back and ask for 16 inch guns so you can sink something. Carriers don't have them.
4. You may man the flak guns, carriers had those.
5. Start your career, but you have to go find a Task Force to join up with because they are not going to write an entire career for your carrier, so you will have to find a task force to travel with. And they disappear when they get to their destination. So you will then have to find another one.
6. Do not submerge if attacked, carriers can't do that. So if you do see any enemy ships you are dead, you can not defend yourself.
7. Do not complain because the interior looks like a sub, most playable ships do, that is why you stay on the bridge.

So, basically you are going to sail the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 trying to find friendly task forces to sail with and if you don't find one you will sail around avoiding enemy contact so you don't get sunk. And there are very few instances where the enemy task forces meet each other. So try the test above with a playable sub and see if it is as much fun as you think it will be.

I am not trying to be insulting or anything like that. But I am trying to make a point of why you don't have 20 people jumping up to build you a playable carrier that you will become bored with in one mission. If someone has some free time and wants to they may step up and build you one, but don't insult them by commenting they know how "but won't show it."

And building a playable ship is not a five minute job.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 07:34 PM   #4
iowa101
Commodore

touch a nerve did i, not bring funny but i have played with a carrier, and it wasnt useless, in fact i went solo, just fine thankyou.

if you read my post then you would know that, i have had the carrier before, i have enjoyed playing with it.
i have a model to use and apparently people have alot of spare time, beens this forums amount of mods go up pretty slowly.

i dont me to be rude, but when someone like you says that crap to me it pisses my of.
and that quote, wasn't an insult.

i meant that if they had the ability to do it, then why not, it isnt hard to give someone some help.
i have wanted to add to this mod list for sometime, but i have a slight problem.

my brain cant process stuff easily and i doubt that you could comprehend how difficult it is for me to even learn basic knowlegde.
on top of that my favirate class of ship is a carrier, and yet some people see fit to tell me to get lost when i ask if it would b possible for someone to help me.
Old 08-06-10, 07:46 PM   #5
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Well not everybody who frequents the forums is a modder. In fact most aren't and just use a mod created by others. The vast majority that are modders are tied up in their own projects. So it's not that we won't, it's that we can't, we're busy already. Will someone make a playable carrier again? Probably, since as you say one has been made before. Will they stop what they're doing to make it right now? Probably not.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 08:58 PM   #6
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Actually, if you read the various threads about playable ships, or adding ships or submarines to the game, you will in fact find long tutorials on doing just that.

At the top of this forum is a modding sticky. Inside are links to many things you will need. Unless you have the Pro version of sketchup, you cannot export obj files I believe, and getting it out of that format (sketchup) is also not something many freeware things (any?) will do.

A playable CV came up a few times, and I always say the same thing:

The SH4 engine is incapable of even the most crass approximation of CV ops.

The game will not engage (or DRAW, lol) enemies far enough away to be realistic. There is no way to require steaming at a given speed to create the right amount of wind over the deck. There is no way to send planes for a strike vs CAP, etc, etc, etc.

So it's a wasted effort, IMHO. SH4 manages submarine simulation OK. Not great, but "OK." The increased complexity of even unrealistic CV ops? Not in the least.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 09:37 PM   #7
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa101 View Post
touch a nerve did i, not bring funny but i have played with a carrier, and it wasnt useless, in fact i went solo, just fine thankyou.

if you read my post then you would know that, i have had the carrier before, i have enjoyed playing with it.
i have a model to use and apparently people have alot of spare time, beens this forums amount of mods go up pretty slowly.

i dont me to be rude, but when someone like you says that crap to me it pisses my of.
and that quote, wasn't an insult.

i meant that if they had the ability to do it, then why not, it isnt hard to give someone some help.
i have wanted to add to this mod list for sometime, but i have a slight problem.

my brain cant process stuff easily and i doubt that you could comprehend how difficult it is for me to even learn basic knowlegde.
on top of that my favirate class of ship is a carrier, and yet some people see fit to tell me to get lost when i ask if it would b possible for someone to help me.
No, you did not touch a nerve. But it appears I did, and did not mean to "piss you off".

But I do not see how mods going up slowly means people have a lot of spare time. Maybe it mean it takes a long time to do them, and a lot of the modders have "moved on" or are busy, because there are a lot of names missing lately.

And nowhere did I tell you to 'get lost'. Only trying to explain why it is hard to get modders to spend the time to make a carrier playable. If you enjoy it then great. If I find one, I will let you know.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 10:09 PM   #8
iowa101
Commodore

i have found one before, the person had a filefront page with a few ships including carriers, the enterprise, lexington and essex, but i cant find it anymore tho.
is there anyway to search for users that have silent hunter mods on file front.

and the tutorials you spoke of barely have any info that i could follow. they miss out alot of info and i cant follow unless given a step by step guide.

i know that i have to clone a the ship, but other than that i have no clue
if someone with experience could do a quick but decent tutorial that would help alot
Old 08-07-10, 09:02 AM   #9
sona1111
Watch

Downloads: 14

I could have sworn their was at least one in the playable ships list too.

I still have one on my comp, though i know its not exactly what you are looking for. It has a bad damage model, and its very weak, but it does have deck guns and flak guns and...alot of planes..lol.

Also i did not actually make this, but i am not sure who the author is.

install with jsgme:

http://cid-bf0816341229f8c.office.live.com/embedicon.aspx/.Public/Taiho^_2.zip
sona1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 11:21 AM   #10
iowa101
Commodore

i cant download it, it say something about it being missing
Old 08-08-10, 12:14 AM   #11
sona1111